Want your opinions on anti-dep and anxiety meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on celexa for 2 years and after a very difficult weaning, have been off for 4 months. My level of anxiety is climbing, I just cant stop worrying about every little thing, and for no good reason. Am thinking about trying another med, and would like your experiences - side effects, did it work, side effects upon stopping, just anything you could enlighten me with. Doctor's appointment next week, and want some info from real people I can trust.

Hi there. I try to stay away from meds, because of the difficulty of weaning and stuff, but I wanted to give you this information on some nutritional things that can help you. They certainly help me..and that says alot for me. Take care.

GABA has a powerful calming effect on the brain. In fact, tranquilizers like Valium and Librium work by stimulating the brain's receptors for GABA.

Tryptophan, the precursor of the sleep-inducing neurotransmitter serotonin, also has relaxing and calming effects. Serotonin levels are often low among people with anxiety disorders. A recent study found that 44 percent of alcoholics suffer from anxiety. You can be pretty sure that you are low on tryptophan if you have ever blacked out from drinking. It has been established that low tryptophan stores trigger blackouts.

You will also be taking chromium picolinate to promote conversion of tryptophan to serotonin. It accomplishes this by facilitating absorption into muscle tissue of the amino acids that compete with tryptophan for access to the brain.

Inositol is a B vitamin that has been found to be quite effective treating panic disorder. Inositol works by regulating the action serotonin, a calming neurotransmitter, within the nerve cells. Its safety has been noted up to twenty grams per day. At HRC we find it a powerful brain chemical in reducing anxiety.

In addition to the amino acids discussed above, certain B vitamins are crucial to reducing anxiety. Indeed, the textbook description of anxiety neurosis exactly matches the symptoms of vitamin B3 (niacin) deficiency: hyperactivity, depression, fatigue, apprehension, headache, and insomnia. A deficiency of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) causes extreme anxiety, nervousness, confusion, and melancholy. Vitamin B6 is easily destroyed by heavy use of alcohol, drugs, and refined sugars.

Can B vitamins relieve anxiety? An interesting new study showed significantly decreased levels of anxiety among a group of alcoholics treated with megavitamins. Over a twenty-one-day period, the group took approximately three grams of vitamin C, three grams of niacin, six hundred milligrams of B6, and six hundred international units (IU) of vitamin E per day. A comparison group received only inert gelatin capsules. None of the subjects in either group took antidepressants or anti-anxiety drugs. Anxiety levels among both groups were measured three times over the twenty-one days. They fell dramatically only in the group on megavitamin therapy.

In people with chronic anxiety unrelated to life events, an injection of sodium lactate will trigger a panic attack. Eating a lot of foods high in refined sugar increases blood lactate levels and can induce panic in susceptible persons. The chromium picolinate in the HRC anxiety formula stabilizes blood sugar and helps prevent panic. Eliminating caffeine and alcohol and refined sugars from the diet is essential for anyone suffering from anxiety.

Comment

Before considering new medications, I would read some of cv's posts (many taken from 7 Weeks to Sobriety) about how different supplements can help with brain chemistry and alleviate difficulties with anxiety and depression.

On the other hand, I am on Serzone, and I do think it helps. However, when I have forgotten to bring it with me on vacation and been without it completely, I do get very anxious and "squirrely" after a few days. I'm on the minimum therapeutic dose, 300mg. It primarily works on norepinephrine. I am hoping that I will be able to get off of it eventually if I can corrrect my brain chemistry with supps.

All the best!
      Kathy

Comment

ya

Ya, go ahead and try natural supps as I want to see about adding them in with what i use which is prozac which I love love love. Natural is always better. I have low seratoin and should have takin somethin for years and why I fought it was stupid. Just like insulin. Could have felt better a long time ago and who knows maybe wouldnt have tried to self medicate with alcohol so much. Lexapro is a newer one then celexa which is supposed to be "cleaner" with less crap in it and is well liked among the docs. Your medical provider will know. Good luck. Its always hard to know for sure what to do. Gabby

Comment

Re: ya

I'm on aropax and its excellent for severe combined depression and anxiety for me - could be worth a try for you?

Comment

Re: ya

Lexapro the sister anti depressant of Celexa is also a anti anxiety medication. It has few side effects, and you can take it in conjunction with Campral without a problem. Maybe you can discuss this with your physician.

Comment

Working...
            X