Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing out my new signature. Not sure if I got it right.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Good morning. Back from dropping the kids off at the airport. It's positively frigid out. Kids are headed to Puerto Rico where it's 78 degrees! Struggling with cravings right now and it's so early. Need to find something to keep me busy. Hubby is painting the kitchen. Check back later.

Comment

Morning all,
        My Mom is doing fine in the rehab facility. She's being a trooper and making the best of it. Actually, I think she's enjoying being away from my step-dad. He's an alcoholic and a complete downer ALL the time. She's getting a much needed break from him.

Min, The first few weeks of being AF can be brutal. At times I felt so terrible I almost went back to drinking. I just couldn't see the point of torturing myself. That's exactly how AL works in your body. You are addicted to what it is doing in your body so when you stop it SCREAMS for you to give the drug back. You have to fight it but I'm here to tell you, it passes. I think the first four - six weeks were the worst. The cravings stayed much longer but at least I started to feel human again after those first weeks. Man the $hit does a number on your body. I'm big into healthy living and AL was my last BAD thing I was putting in my body (well...if I'm honest I'd have to say sugar is still on my list to get rid of). Getting rid of it was a must for me and reading about the adverse affects of AL on your body was an excellent deterent for me.

What happens to your body after you take your first sip of alcohol? Learn the effects of drinking on your body and mental well-being.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and nurturing their quits. We can do this together you guys. I know we can!!

Comment

Hello all.

Lizann- hope you've managed to starve off the cravings and you're feeling better.

Thanks for you words ginger. I know I the first few weeks are the worst. Hoping it passes. Don't think last night I had sweats. I'll check the link later. Time to sort out tea and kids
          Ps good to hear your mum is enjoying her break
          Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Comment

Howdy everyone! I had a very busy, but very productive week, and even had a few cheques come in the mail from invoices sent out! So it was a win-win AF free week for me. Temp here dropped drastically, so going to do a stay indoors weekend except for when Hank demands his frisbee time lol. But get my laundry done, catch up on paperwork (a never ending job when you run your own business) and read a bit.

Ginger - good to hear your mom is adjusting well! Sounds like some time away from home for her was just what the Doctor ordered! Too bad it wasn't under better circumstances, but the Lord works in mysterious ways lol

Min - A good friend of mine, who is also AA (which I didn't know till I started going) also went to the same counsellor that I'm seeing. So when our day seems to be going south, we call each other.... and just shoot the $hit. Not about the reason we needed the call, but about anything, the weather, work, family, sports, etc. In no time 15 or 20 minutes has gone by and whatever was troubling me/him is processed and gone. It really works!

So halo or Liz, when those cravings or problems creep up, call someone! Maybe talk to them first and see if it's okay, explain what you are doing and why. I know coming straight to MWO helps, but I find a real "voice" helps me a lot more in those rough spots. So, if you have to, find an MWO member close to you, exchange numbers, then USE them......

Our group is growing in numbers, so those not mentioned, we are in this together and we'll support each other however and whenever possible!

It's SuperBowl weekend in North America, so lots of celebrating will be going on, and we'll be celebrating that we had a great weekend sober! I think most of you know that beer was my DOC, Budweiser to be specific, and if it won't bother you, youtube the Bud Lost Dog SuperBowl commercial, very cute!!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Thanks for the pep talks everyone, still AF, although the last couple of days were a struggle, instead of one day at a time, I was taking it one hour at a time, which explained why I was going to bed right after dinner..

Ginger glad to hear your mom is doing better. It sounds like the rehab place is going to be great for her and give her a much needed break. Thanks for the healthy link ginger, I am focusing on holistic living as well, going to take a look at that web page later today.

Lizann, I plan on living vicariously through your kids on their way to Puerto Rico , it was close to -30 today, glad to hear the painting in the kitchen is underway!

Minstar, I feel for you. I know , in fact I'm sure everyone here knows, the struggles you are going through. But remember you are NOT alone. Think of how much you deserve a break from the struggles of AL, let's kick the bottles to the curb. We are here to help , hope you can feel us helping you along the way :heartbeat:

Sober Soul hope you are staying strong.. despite feeling like WTF?? (lol)

Cowboy, some good advice on calling someone, sometimes a voice will be better and just be the added bit to help you maintain your quit. Here's to football and the Super bowl, loved by my family, but still a distant second to hockey

Keep well everyone and feel better, going to bed early the last four nights is starting to pay off, feeling better!
              Last edited by open halo; January 31, 2015, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Forgot to mention to those feeling under the weather, does anyone ever take oil of oregano?? It's supposed to help, but tastes HORRIBLE!! Just thought I'd mention it...

Comment

My SIL swears by it. I think she found it in capsules. I've never tried it but I should!

Comment

I'm just desperate enough to try that oil of oregano. Sister and nephew popped in for a visit. House is an absolute mess. Bought fabric to cover the chairs. Busy, busy. Shower and chilling for the rest of the night.

Comment

Evening all. A quick check. Hope you're all well. Thank you Open Halo and Cowboy! This evening was a tough one. Hit me like a train. I just wanted a drink. I kept distracting myself. Even watched my thiughts, but still im wanted to have one. I quickly ate something. Heck straight out if the pan! And busied myself with the kids. I'm shocked how it came about as I wasn't aware of any of my usual triggers of hunger, anger, lonely or tired.

Now in hindsight feel it may be the old 'it's Saturday night and I want to let my hair down, coupled With having to sort out usual feeds baths bottles and bedtimes for kids. I know that's part of my struggle as I stress so much trying to get them down, dinner cooked, kitchen cleaned etc.

Anyhoo---- another day done. Hoping tomorrow I will be stronger than today.

Stay safe.

Comment

Proud of you Minstar! Good work on keeping those thoughts at bay. I know how much work it is with wee ones, mine are 6 and 9 now and it does get easier to have some down time, eventually ! As hard as it is to find any time for you, try if you can, it will lessen the stress and hopefully lessen the cravings! Keep up the great work Minstar..

Try the oil of oregano Lizann, see if you can find the capsule kind, if you get the drops remember I warned you!! Feel better soon....

Comment

Happy Sunday, keep some refreshing AF drinks close by today as it is Super Bowl Sunday!! We know who you want to win Ginger!

Comment

I could say, I've been there and done that. We give up and hurt once again in life. We get hurt again and stress out by drinking. Then, the time passes and we move on. Another bad event happens and we start drinking again. Then, we face reality of life and realize there's nothing left for us.Life will contiune to be the same. There's no hope anymore, just the pain of life.

Comment

patience, welcome to our thread! We were all down that path of hopeless despair, but there is another door, a door to a new you, why not open it and step inside, join our group and let us help...
                              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Ginger, I'm more of a CFL'er than an NFL'er, but today, I'll be alongside you cheering on the Hawks!

Comment

Working...
                                X