Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liz so sorry to hear about your friend. Same age as my husband, the love of my life.

I've been busy with babies and Mom and drinking. I am going to pick up my copy of Jason Vale's book right now and read the whole thing from cover to cover. I wrote a long post on my blog about it and I am tired and so disappointed in life. I have been aware of my drinking problem for six years, the same amount of time I drank every day before owning up to the problem. That's 12 years. That's what I wrote about and I am too tired to repeat it ad nauseum here. But sincerely glad to see so much success on this thread. I can kick me and punch me and beat me to the ground, booze, but I will get up and try yet another time.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Ya SS - you are winning just by coming here and trying. It is one day at a time - one step at a time.

As my good friend Dr Seuss says:
      “Kid, you’ll move mountains!”

No need to get intimidated by the size of the task, it’s just a matter of taking small steps towards your bigger goal. Moving a mountain may sound impossible, but you don’t actually have to move one, it’s just a figure of speech. But there must be a mountain-sized task that you’re facing in your life that feels like you’ll never be able to do. But just imagine if you actually did do it. How would you feel? How would it change your life? It may sound impossible at first, but the more you think about it, the more you come up with ways that it can be done. Just start chipping away at it, and with enough time and patience you’ll see that it becomes manageable.

Comment

“And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)”

Comment

Liz, I am thinking of you :hug:

Been a trying week in my neck of the woods, but I'm hanging in there.

Love to all
          AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hey SS - your posts are helping me so much. I'm sorry for your struggles, I'm sorry for my struggles, but I appreciate your honesty and willingness to try yet again. So SO inspiring, thank you!!!

P.S. Cowboy, please take me off your sobriety calendar for now. . . hope to be back there someday. Not happy about it but thats what it is. Thanks for all you do to encourage all of us!!

Comment

Hi SS, If there is anything I can do, please let me know. AG, hang in there. You will get there.

Someone on another thread posted this link. I found it very interesting. Worth a read, if you have time.

http://www.willpowered.co/learn/peop...nary-willpower

Comment

Morning guys!
                Sneaking back after a few days of drinking. I do so well for a while and then relapse.
                I've not read back too far- kids to get ready and drop to school. I will check in again later-

Been trying to get long walks in- hitting 10k steps this week. Exercise has gone out the window some I went to my mums- need to start it all up again.

Hope you're all well. Will try and write more later-

Lizaann. Hope you're ok. Sorry to hear about your friend :-(

Comment

Morning all! Some heavy hearted reading this morning, but there's a silver lining in every cloud, never stop looking for it! I saw this a while ago, searched for it again and found it.... fitting for our thread I think....

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Cowboy, this poem was always special to me. My grandmother raised seven children all on her own, in the absence of my alcoholic grandfather. The young family lived a meager existence, and many times, the kids overheard her praying about how she would put food on the table or afford to take one of them to a doctor. When she died, after raising seven magnificent people who all went on to college and became doctors or ministers, they found a copy of this poem, well worn with the edges all frayed, in her wallet.

Quite the legacy.
                    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Oh Lilbit - that is such a wonderful memory of your grandmother - a very strong woman.

Thx

Comment

ABC, thank you for the poem. Lil Bit, your post made my heart feel good too.
                        Wishing everyone a peaceful day. Hang in there Lizann. xxx
                        AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Ginger, Cowboy, I so appreciate you guys. And everyone else on this thread . . .

Ginger - you asked what you can do, I can't seem to get a sense of URGENCY for myself around this problem. At 5pm I am a ROBOT. I was hoping to quit on my own and surprise my hubby with some weight loss, but that hasn't happened. I drink a bottle of vino a night. Ugh. (I know that is not good!!)

I have not engaged hubby in this struggle mainly because he is not an alcoholic and thus does not quite get it. He should be home from fishing Saturday. My next plan (why do I have to have so many failed plans???!!!) is to talk to him about my goals and enlist his support. Again he may be unforgiving if I mess up once I put it in black and white so I am very fearful of that. We are in a very happy marriage right now, 16 years, don't want to complicate that. Although my drinking habits are not the best part of our marriage.

Oh, this is hard. Sorry if too much information. I would appreciate any and all advice.

The Fisherman's wife - Action Girl

Comment

ActionGirl, sending you support! I don't know a lot about your situation but as a former wine-bottle-a-night drinker, I do know some things:

1. No one knows why it takes so many failed plans to get to the one that sticks. It just does. But don't give up. Rest assured, the "try" that will work is out there. It might be this one. Keep at it till you find it and then don't let go. Also, if you can do it before hitting some of those nasty rock-bottom consequences, then all the better for you. Maybe it would help to read through some others' bad experiences? They're plentiful on this site.

2. One of the lies that AL tells us is that we're uber-good at hiding our little habit from others. If you do have a good marriage, I'd be very much surprised if your husband doesn't at least have an inkling of what AL is doing to you. Engaging him with your plan might actually ease his mind.

Please don't wait until things get really bad in your marriage or life before you get a sense of urgency. Actively seek one! If you know that your AL habit is bad for you, don't wait until it destroys your life. I'm pulling for you.
                            "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Great post, Lil. AG, listen to this woman! She knows what she's talking about.

I was a bottle of wine a night drinker too. It became such a strong habit to get home from work and uncork the bottle. I'd drink until it was gone. When I started to uncork that second bottle, I knew it was time to make a change. I only wish I'd done it years ago when it would have had a bigger impact on my kids.

You have to replace the alcohol with something healthy and positive. For me it was Izze with lime in a pretty glass for the first few months during the same time that I'd drink my wine. I had to get through that drinking time some how! I also endulged in ice cream after dinner at night. Something I never did when I was drinking. Had to save those calories for my AL!!

I told my hubby when I decided to quit. He's not a drinker so he was really glad that I'd come to this decision on my own. On more than one occassion I saw the disappointment on his face when I'd over endulged to the point of not remember what I'd said or done the night before. Nothing like letting down someone you love and care about. "/

BG says it's important to keep really busy and I have to agree. In the beginning especially! As the days add up things will get so much easier and things will just click. The important thing is trying not to look at the bigger picture or the never drinking again thought. Just take it one day at a time. Tomorrow is a new day and it is the only day you have to get through. Then you can start again the next day.

You want this, you will get there! Stay close and read/post/read.
                              Last edited by Ginger999; June 3, 2015, 11:18 PM.

Comment

AG, great advice from these two ladies! I couldn't agree more. I know what you mean about the black and white with hubs. I too was afraid, maybe to be held accountable. The look on my sons face when he knows I've been drinking is heart breaking. What has helped me is keeping busy. Finding something to do with someone. Cleaning out the cabinets, closet, gardening, just anything the moe physical the better. I find if I eat healthy and even "juice" or healthy smoothies help. I don't know, I feel healthier and I don't want to put alcohol into my otherwise cleansed body. Were here for you. Let's keep at this quitting thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X