Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS - I have decided that I just chose to take the long road, and they say that slowly but surely wins the race!!!
    As long as we keep trying, we will get there.
    Spirit - I think I worked out that avoiding MWO was only hurting me, and it was all about my pride (all about me isn't it) - coming here, and being honest has kept me straight...
    I am seeing so many stories about those who manage to get some good AF time and then let it go - this is first time I have managed some real AF time, and will be looking as to how to hang on to it - no more yoyo!
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Talk about embarrassing, try this: Falling off the wagon after 2+ years sober and making a drunk call to (guess who? drum roll...) BYRDIE of all people! :H I can laugh now but I was mortified at the time. And I have to say she was very gracious and loving towards me... :l
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Wonderful, wonderful thread. Thank you SS for starting this. Really hits home at the moment.
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Glad to have you on board Nora... same to the rest of you. Everyone was sipping wine in my sister's lovely Chateau in the hills of Quebec except moi tonight. I was happily sipping water. Always do well at the beginning. It's in a week or two that the little creepy monkey starts hanging out on my shoulder. This time he'll get a back hand.
          "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
          Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

Love this group! I was listening to the podcast NoSugar posted - it seems that the average time to get sober is 5 - 8 years? Something like that. A long time. The good news is we all keep coming back. My fits and starts happened when I was lurking here, too afraid to post because I was so sure I was going to be the one to be able to moderate. Hah.

Look forward to spending a sober summer with you all...

Comment

And me! I'm on Day 7 today but sheesh, how many times have I been here. I understand the guilt and the not coming back here too because I'm so embarrassed (I joined here in 2011!) but hey, we've at least got to be proud that we keep coming back, right?

Comment

*Grabs an oar*

I love the crew on this ship! I, too, have been on and off MWO for some time now. Day 10 for me! One of my motivators is getting back into music again...I have committed to a performance on Aug. 22 and 23. My looks are shot, my voice is shot, and I haven't been on the keys for a year. I could see and feel the difference in less than a week.

Great thread, Sober Soul!
                "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

Because we are notorious 'reoffenders' we should spend some time talking about what happens in a week or two when one of us or a few of us has that idiotic first drink. What goes through our mind? Right now we are all at the stage of telling ourselves "See, it always comes back to you regretting trying to moderate. Nothing changes. Learn from this and stay off the sauce." But in a couple of days or weeks I will have a "What the Hell..." moment. At a nice restaurant or a place that sells Draft Beer the temptation will hit me right between the eyes. The obvious answer is to stay away from those places which can be difficult for me and my husband. We eat out once every two weeks and the pub beside our lake house is where we go to wait for the place to heat up once we've arrived and started the woodstove. Any other suggestions? I want to succeed.
                  Lao-Tzu

Comment

I would love to join, too! After years and years of false starts I finally got 30 days in February, but already am back to near daily drinking. I had almost given myself permission to wait until Monday morning to try again, but I would much rather wake up on Monday already feeling great and back on board!

Thank your Sober Soul!
                    You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Sober Soul, my way around the temptation at restaurants or pubs is when the waiter asks me for my drink order, I say, "Water for now", implying that I'll get something different later. Once I have that glass of water in my hand, I have the strength to say, "I'm good with water".

I hit my umpteenth time in February when my dying dad told his doctor, "I'm 85 years old and I have no regrets"... I thought to myself, "I'm 49 years old and I have boatloads of them!" If not for my dad, I would also be doing the moderating/lying to myself thing. This is the strongest I've personally felt in my conviction to stop the madness!

I'd like to stay in your boat, too, as my turmoil is not inner, but between my husband and me. When I was at my dad's house, I called my husband and told him that I did not want any more alcohol in the house, and that if he needed to drink, he needed to leave. "Me or it" ultimatum... which I know, isn't fair. When my dad died, my husband came to my parent's home and while we were there- there was no drinking. When we got home, I came home and he had poured himself a rum and coke. I looked at the drink, looked at him, and said, "So you are choosing alcohol."..... He looked at me like I had two heads and said, "It's only one drink!" I started to cry and said, "No. It's the first drink." And I left, speechless, certain that he had chose Alcohol over Me.

Well, when I came back, the alcohol was gone and the house was as quiet as a church on Monday, and I went to bed. It's been over a month, now, and he has not had another drink... but he's not too happy with me. He's sulking, I guess, because I laid down an ultimatum. My sister told me that it "wasn't fair", and I told her, "well, all of the farking lost memories and hurt feelings that happened from alcohol- ALCOHOL doesn't play by "fair" and "unfair" rules!"

I think the ice is starting to melt between us, but everyday, I'm afraid that when I come home, I'll be greeted by Captain Morgan and diet coke... and my bags packed at the door. So while I feel I can't have alcohol around anymore, I'm not certain whether my husband will continue to choose me. And if so, if he will ever thank me, or if he will always have that grudge against me.

:hug: Patty
                      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                      :hug:

Comment

Happy, that's so hard. I don't know what my husband would do either, but I've never been able to drive it to that because I've never been that good at maintaining my own quit. But that's a really good line to use at restaurants, so I'll remember that one!

Comment

Happy, thanks for the tip about the restaurant. We were at an Irish pub last night with out of town family and I ordered tonic and lime but it was easy because my sister and I were just talking about not becoming like our mother so she was supportive. I've been the DD two nights in a row and my husband was VERY annoying last night. I did not answer his sarcasm but wish I had the nerve to make him choose between me and booze. Not ready for that yet.

I know you are doing yourself and your husband a huge favour by giving him the ultimatum but my mother has proven that it has to come from the person quitting for resentment not to rear it's ugly head. She was forced to quit because of health issues and hates everyone of us for following through.

Your husband may be ready to quit too but I am surprised he has stopped this long. It's so hard to stop when it's your idea. When it's someone else's idea, ??? I hope for the best for you.

Heading to run my daughter's baby shower. I hope she shows up. She spent last night in ER with what I think is pneumonia. Thanks to our Canadian 'free' health care, she left after a few hours without being seen because the wait time was eight to nine hours. I don't know if she will make it to her own little party today.

Have a lovely, sober sunday all.
                          Lao-Tzu

Comment

Soul, I think he knows, deep down, that we both have a problem. Our 18 year old son is the one most impacted by our drinking, in that he never has friends over here because of our drinking. There was one night when my husband was drunk and stumbling, and our son yelled at him that he was a drunk... my husband, who never loses his temper, yelled back to be respectful. Michael screamed back at him, "I'll respect you when your sober Dad, but you've had 1/2 a bottle of rum. That's 17 shots! You are DRUNK!"

Silence in the house. (How do we reply to that fact?)

This incident has never been mentioned again- if you ignore it, it didn't happen, right? But my husband's problem is just as bad as mine.

What a depressing post for a sunny Sunday. I have to be positive that things will turn around, and that this is a temporary phase.... that if we get through this, we'll be a stronger, happier couple. :hug:

Patty
                            "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                            so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                            :hug:

Comment

Meeee!!! Stop, start, stop, start, it's insane!!! Thanks for posting this SS, Day 1 for me - again.

I live on a lake too, it's so hard when everyone you know drinks. That's my nemesis, I do pretty well when it's just me, but the socializing gets me. I'm going to get some NA beer today for the social occasions

I really need to be accountable, I'm ready, let's do this.
                              "A good garden may have some weeds"
                              Thomas Fuller

Comment

I'm in. Day 1drawing to a close.
                                I can beat this.
                                Today is the day I start.
                                1st September 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X