Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ack! Slipped this weekend...one on Friday, two on Saturday, and three on Sunday. Not beating myself up too badly; my pal Antibuse is ready for me tomorrow morning. :crazymonkey:
    "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

Hop right back on Board, Nichau!! We judge no one (except ourselves, unfortunately). I found a few NA beers I like and I usually slip a slice of lemon or lime in the bottle and drink it ice cold. No one notices it's AF so the pressure is off. I have felt great these past two mornings and this morning jumped out of bed so fast I scared my husband. He thought there was a fire or something. LOL.

Around 11:30 last night my daughter called. She's 7 months pregnant for her first and was debating whether to go to the hospital with a horrible flu that was causing her trouble catching her breath. Thank GAWD I was sober. I did the motherly thing and told her to go, etc. but she could not detect a hint of a slur or stammer in my voice which made me feel happy and thankful for my decision.

Watching other drunks is the best therapy for newly sober people. My friend was over last night as her electricity was off and we were warm and toasty at our place. I finally started making my bed up in our make shift living room/bedroom (we are in limbo while we build our new home) at 12:30 a.m. and she did not want to leave while there was wine in the bottle still. So to get her to leave I said that I would pour the remainder of the wine in her glass and she could return the glass the next day. She drunkenly eyed the wine in the bottom of the bottle, eyes streaming with mascara, and said "Watch this!". She then poured the wine into her glass and guzzled all of it at once. I felt nothing but pity for her.

So, I need to keep coming here and reading your honest, heartfelt posts. I love you all; I really do. Being here with you makes me feel very positive about the human race. You are all so sincere, vulnerable, up front and empathetic.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that no matter what, we can't moderate. It ALWAYS ends up that we over do it and vow to quit again. A few lost years doing that is a pity. A lost lifetime is a downright shame. I have 35 more healthy years left before my biological clock says it's enough but that's only if I treat my body with respect and not poison it on a daily basis.

Have a wonderful Sunday.
      "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      Lao-Tzu

Comment

K9Lover, love that "3am anxiety brick" term. Well, i should say i hate it. It takes months of some serious hardcore drinking (for me) to get there but that's usually when my excuses run dry and its "welp shit, you did it again genius".

I really wish there were some doctors around here that prescribed benzo's for when we screw up. Tapering/self detox is just plain torture and takes an iron will. And detox facilities are (for me) humiliating and expensive. Half the time i've started up and not stopped simply because i let it get too far and didn't want to touch that withdrawl button again, so 6 months goes by and then its 3am brick time. I'm not saying abuse Benzo's or anything since they can be just as bad but if i got a 10pack of valium here and there i'd probably have gotten sober a lot quicker with a helluva lot less suffering.

Comment

Hi everyone - I have been dying to get on this thread and post... My weekend was crazy and I was not able to make it to my laptop (but checked in from my phone!)...Sober Soul - your post about needing to talk about what we do when one of us takes that "idiotic first drink" is such an insightful subject. We DO need to talk about it... First, I propose this - let's try to commit to forcing ourselves to log on to this thread (or any MWO thread) for at least 5 minutes before we pour that first glass... Just to check ourselves.. it may not stop us but hopefully it may... Second, if and when one of us does make the fateful slip, do NOT feel ashamed to come back to this ship! Do not let the guilt and remorse make you feel unwelcome. That is the AL talking! We don't judge here... We are here to encourage each other to stay AF and to help pick up the pieces when we fall... If we share RIGHT AWAY what we were feeling, what frame of mind we were in when we took that first drink maybe it will help detour us next time..

I know me.. I have a night of total gluttony - say things I don't mean, make promises I can't keep, wake up head throbbing - full of guilt remorse and proceed to waste a God given day nursing a hangover... Then jump on the boards here, get motivated for a day or 2 and then I feel better... The sun is out, music is on and its a glorious evening and nothing sounds better and a glass of wine... then REPEAT the above... The roller coaster has to STOP... I have tried to moderate... the only time I can have only one or two drinks is when I am hungover and feeling sick from the night before... If I'm feeling good - I'm in for at LEAST a bottle...usually opening up a second... I need to find a different way of celebrating those "feel-good-I-deserve-a-glass-of-wine" days... Its NEVER just a glass....

I did not drink this weekend... But I found myself cranky during the witching hour(s)... I sure did feel good in the mornings though... And I have not a single regret from this weekend... It was productive and I felt good... If I could just make it through feeling so irritable when I can't drink... The last time I was AF for any good amount of time (maybe a month) I made it through with NA beer... There are some good ones... (I find the AF wine yuck! Not worth it - I'd rather have a Perrier with lime)... I think I will pick some up tonight to get through some cravings and irritability.... What is everyone else doing??

Happy Monday, my repeat offending friends! Hopefully our repeat "buttons" stay disabled!!
          God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Great post spirit girl. I have some comments but I Will save them for when I get home. My fat fingers are too awkward on this phone
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

Spirit, the other part of your thought that I added was I had to wait for a reply - as we are in different parts of the world, sometimes it may be longer than 5 mins - I did this a couple weeks ago, and not sure if I woudl have had a drink or not, but I got so much support on the thread and by pm, there was no way I was going to break my streak - people even gave me direct contact info.
              MWO is a powerful tool if we use it for more that the wonderful chats - that builds the relationships that we are able to really use when needed.
              “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Lass, very good point! Sometimes it does take a little while for a reply... So during that time I like to go back and re-read some of my previous posts about how terrible I felt the morning after and it was a great reminder!

MWO is a powerful tool! My lifeline right now!! Its amazing how much I can relate to people I have never "met"... These relationships are such a big part of my day right now!:l
                God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Yep, you guys said it all. I read on another blog a letter a woman wrote to booze and at the end she said that although alcohol is her enemy she does not hate it. She RESPECTS it because it is a formidable foe and is very wily, sneaky, manipulative and cagey. So respect your enemy people. Never trust alcohol to give you anything except misery.
                  Lao-Tzu

Comment

Found this Poem:

Cycle Of An Alcoholic
                    That first swig, it tastes so good,
                    To have another, maybe you shouldn't or maybe you should,
                    It relieves you of all reality and bad feelings inside,
                    All other resorts you have tried.

The best thing to do is run and get another beer,
                    Give a little change to the atmosphere.

The next thing you know, your lying in the street,
                    Everything becomes blurry, you can barely see your own feet.
                    You feel sick to your stomach, your body is in pain,
                    As you have been out all night, sleeping in the rain.

Yet with all the money that you earn,
                    Another beer you must yearn.

You start in the morning, and keep drinking through the nights,
                    With the people you love, you cause arguments and fights.
                    It becomes a neverending cycle, you dont know what to do,
                    Your mind wants to stop, yet your body wont let you.

Then one day it gets to your head,
                    Your not sure if tomorrow, you'll be alive or dead.
                    So that day you stop drinking and help you seek,
                    Then a month later comes another stressful week.
                    (back to beginning)
                    Lao-Tzu

Comment

SpiritGirl;1654610 wrote: I did not drink this weekend... But I found myself cranky during the witching hour(s)... I sure did feel good in the mornings though... And I have not a single regret from this weekend... It was productive and I felt good...
                      I'm feeling the same way... irritable at night and joyful in the morning and all day until evening. I'm just going to keep repeating this pattern until I don't feel the pull of the witching hour.. Or at least not as strongly!
                      You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

I have been putting on the kettle when I get the urge and it seems to work. A nice cup of tea really helps.
                        Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi everyone-

I haven't tapped out I just haven't been feeling to good. Something to do with my girl parts.

I just wanted to say hi. And read thru the thread.

:l

Edit: not my girl parts but something else. I will be going to a surgeon to have him evaluate me.

Anyway.. I love ideas I read thru.. I love the idea of coming here 5 min. Before drinking to check in and evaluate what is going on. I will be doing that. I just love the non- judgement I feel here. It feels safe. I know I will not be abandoning this thread IF I decide to drink again. I will come here and talk it out so I might work out any emotions. Checking in everyday is essential too. Being accountable. Knowing that there are people out there who care and what to help.

I'm actually excited about feeling sober.

Comment

Hi BK Yoga Gurl, hope you're back in good health and glad to have you!!

This time around I am using many tools I've previously ignored and I hope it makes a difference in the long run. I've heard on The Bubble Hour that it takes two years to be mentally and emotionally healed from our alcohol addiction. This is news to me. Anyone else heard this?
                            Lao-Tzu

Comment

I have not heard the 2 year thing although I would buy it... I heard 6 months. I sure wish I could make 2 years... Longest I ever went was a year due to pregnancy.

I gotta get on that bubble hour.. Sounds informative.

Comment

It's real, that's the best part. These women discuss their struggles and I find myself nodding all the way through it.
                                Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X