Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kailey;1654781 wrote: I'm feeling the same way... irritable at night and joyful in the morning and all day until evening. I'm just going to keep repeating this pattern until I don't feel the pull of the witching hour.. Or at least not as strongly!
    This is my plan too... I figure that the anxiety and crankiness has to subside at some point... My husband and I went out to dinner with my son last night to a pizza place that carries our favorite IPA beer.. We ALWAYS order it when we go out for pizza... By the grace of God (and this sight) my 'witching hour' was over. My husband ordered a beer and I ordered a diet soft drink... I wasn't even tempted... And I didn't feel deprived... My husband gave me a quizzical look and I simply said "I am taking a hiatus from alcohol"... I explained to him that I just don't feel healthy and I need to eliminate some things out of my life, one being alcohol... When we went to bed he said to me "I am really proud of you for giving up alcohol"... I was worried how I was going to explain it to him and it was MUCH easier than I thought... He knows the truth... he knows...

Sober Soul - my guess is that the time it takes to "heal" is different for everyone... I, for one, am looking forward to the day when AL is not so much a part of my daily (hourly) thought process... When I just don't THINK about it anymore... Like "what am i going to drink at this party?.... what am I going to tell my friends?....what if I slip?.... I really want a glass of wine but I can't.... maybe just one".... I don't want it to enter my head!!! Brussel sprouts don't enter my head every day - when will alcohol go away??? ha ha...

I have listened to The Bubble Hour a couple of times... Are there any specific podcasts that anyone can recommend that really struck home??

Hope everyone is doing well... Day 6 for me... Please remember to stick together - no matter what!
    God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

When life with a partner is based on consuming alcohol together like mine was, there will be the inevitable "you're not the same anymore" conversation. In the past I've relapsed because of that conversation. Last night hubby said "Something's been bothering you for a few days... you've not been yourself." I felt a big let down and disappointment that I was not able to hide my constant introspection from him but, he will just have to put up with the not-so-crazy version of me. I was too embarrassed to ask him if he preferred the quiet version of me or the version that pissed herself at a friend's house while vomiting in their toilet after a double martini and a few glasses of red. I remember while barfing, thinking I was upchucking the only healthy meal I'd eaten all week. LOL.

No more of that crap going on.
      "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      Lao-Tzu

Comment

SS - I so think there is some truth that we are "not the same" without AL.... And in these first few days, I don't know if the "different" me is all that great... I, too, am more quiet and like I mentioned before, a little edgy... I am hoping and banking on that the new me will be the better version once I get through this hump... I sorta feel like I'm rehabbing a house... Its hard - its not pretty during the process - it takes vision and patience - but once the hard work is done the results are beautiful. And worth it.....

Comment

Man Sober... I have had a few of those times.. Thanks for reminding me cause that really makes me want to drink like NEVER! So embarrassing.
          For some reason I am feeling different this time...not wondering and thinking about when I may drink or want to drink... More relaxed like... It can wait. I like it.

Comment

SpiritGirl;1655190 wrote: SS - I so think there is some truth that we are "not the same" without AL.... And in these first few days, I don't know if the "different" me is all that great... I, too, am more quiet and like I mentioned before, a little edgy... I am hoping and banking on that the new me will be the better version once I get through this hump... I sorta feel like I'm rehabbing a house... Its hard - its not pretty during the process - it takes vision and patience - but once the hard work is done the results are beautiful. And worth it.....
            I guess I never factored in my personality's impact on others. I am always the life of the party and sober I am in the background, quietly enjoying myself. That IS a big change. I think people mistake quiet introspection and edginess for not being in a good mood. I know I was the life of the party sober before I started drinking so maybe it will come back. Thanks for the rehabbing a house analogy as we just remodelled the sixties kitchen at the lake house and created a dream kitchen but the mess and disruption were pretty discouraging at times. Can't wait for the beautiful results. Loving the sober life.
            Lao-Tzu

Comment

bkyogagurl;1655197 wrote: Man Sober... I have had a few of those times.. Thanks for reminding me cause that really makes me want to drink like NEVER! So embarrassing.
              For some reason I am feeling different this time...not wondering and thinking about when I may drink or want to drink... More relaxed like... It can wait. I like it.
              Ya, I should have had them take a photo of me when it happened so I could post it on my fridge. From the day it happened I looked at it with a sense of Ahaaa!! You ARE an alcoholic!! and to this day I am so glad it happened. It was a real turning point and it happened about two weeks ago.
              Lao-Tzu

Comment

It sounds like you are handling it well. I always beat the shit out of myself when I do something like that...
                I thought about how I would feel if someone did video me or take a picture... What a nightmare.

I'm so glad you started this thread... What a good place to be. Thank you.

Comment

One of the embarrassing things I used to do when over-served was repeat myself - a 1000 times per conversation, I think! Seriously - how annoying was I??? Ugh - and that's just the tip of the iceburg... Glad those days are over...:thumbs:

Comment

Guys, the reason I am back here is that at the weekend I had to be asked to leave my sons 18th party as I was so pissed. My son had to leave his own party to make sure I got home ok. I don't think the words embarrassed or ashamed do it justice!

I guess if this works out them maybe it will have been a good thing but right now I cringe whenever i remember it (the bits I can remember).
                    I can beat this.
                    Today is the day I start.
                    1st September 2015.

Comment

What you have to do is take this horrible situation and use it as a launching pad for your sobriety. Write out exactly what happened and how you felt and put it in your sock drawer (on the top) so you have to see it every day. This is not to embarrass you but to be handy when you decide to take that next drink.

I, for some reason, did not feel more than a little embarrassed after pissing myself. I was disgusted with the lifestyle I was part of and almost angry at my friends who can't do anything sober and give me a hard time when I abstain. Believe it or not, I do have pride. I don't walk around in pissed on pants on a regular basis. Something very subtle and quiet broke that night. It was my denial.

I hope your son and you can talk about this in a few years and you can tell him that you love him so much that to embarrass and humiliate not only yourself but him on this 18th birthday was the turning point in your sobriety. Good sometimes comes from bad. xxxx
                      Lao-Tzu

Comment

SpiritGirl;1655550 wrote: One of the embarrassing things I used to do when over-served was repeat myself - a 1000 times per conversation, I think! Seriously - how annoying was I??? Ugh - and that's just the tip of the iceburg... Glad those days are over...:thumbs:
                        Hate that when someone says "Geez, you already said that!" I shudder to remember. It's going to happen again but I'll blame it on age now.
                        Lao-Tzu

Comment

FF - the wonderful thing about children is that they love their parents... No matter what... Your son loves you and this bad memory will pass... Make an effort to fill the next few weeks.. then months... with good memories with your son...Spend some quality time with him sober... Go fishing, out dinner, golfing - anything where you can laugh and have good, clear conversations... That will make the regretful / shameful incidents fade even quicker... Let this be a turning point...

SS- oh yes "you've already said that" those words make me cringe... Or when I would bring up a subject the next morning with one of my kids and they would say "we talked about this last night"....We did?? Ugh - I have forgotten some very important conversations and was too ashamed to admit it so I missed out... Sad...

Comment

SS & SG, thanks for that. Youre both absolutely right and I am making a real effort to make more time for doing good things with him (and the rest of my family) instead of selfishly dedicating my spare time to drinking myself stupid. I too was forever repeating myself after a few too many. Not a good place to be when people point it out eh?
                            I can beat this.
                            Today is the day I start.
                            1st September 2015.

Comment

Got room for one more?i need all the reinforcement i can get
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

HI PW...

Come on in and make yourself at home.. Seems we are hanging in the same threads these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X