No announcement yet.

G man the comeback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats great Mr G. I meant the Docs not the chicks- maybe that was your April Fools treat!
    You know, for me having a GP I could rely on and who was batting on my team was so important. She never gave up, she offered a million different suggestions (including magic potions and slaughtered chickens at midnight - just joking) and she did research for me - this was back in 2011 or so. She even looked into new meds at that time like Nal - so she was very forward thinking. She listened and gave me positive reinforcement, as well as a kick up the bum. She really is wonderful and treats the patient as a whole person. Now all she can do is nag me about my cholesterol and tendency to work too hard! Looks like you have a winner as well.

Comment

So I've been to a counselor two times now and all he has done is ask me questions about my marriage (which is fine thank you) and my goals (which at 60 are down to mere contentment). He won't listen to my stories about my rough childhood and he even repeatedly refused to let me tell him about a key dream that I had the very night before my second visit to him. How is that fair?

It's like I have to find some drunk on a barstool, or maybe even go to AA, just to get somebody to listen to my exciting stories about me!!

Heck Mr. G I hope you find a more sympathetic counselor.

Comment

Originally posted by lex View Post
        So I've been to a counselor two times now and all he has done is ask me questions about my marriage (which is fine thank you) and my goals (which at 60 are down to mere contentment). He won't listen to my stories about my rough childhood and he even repeatedly refused to let me tell him about a key dream that I had the very night before my second visit to him. How is that fair?

It's like I have to find some drunk on a barstool, or maybe even go to AA, just to get somebody to listen to my exciting stories about me!!

Heck Mr. G I hope you find a more sympathetic counselor.
        Yo Lex. Geez, that doesn't sound useful. I wonder what kind of counsellor are you seeing? An AL& drug counsellor, or a psychologist? I wonder if there is a distinction in the roles they see themselves in? e.g. i would think a psychologist would go anywhere with you, but maybe a lesser trained al & drug counsellor may only be able to talk about specific al/drug using issues and strategies around that? Am i close?! Still, i would've thought the title of 'counsellor' would be able to go there with you. What about if you mention these concerns at the next session and map out roughly where future sessions are able to go subject wise? You have a right to know this and be onboard with the direction. If response isn't explanatory enough, i'd consider someone else. They tell me counselling quality can vary. Keep us posted Lex!

I specified when emailing the psychologist i'm seeing that i'm wanting more a 'life performance coach' experience but tying in the booze addiction thing. They said yes, we can do that, so we'll see how it goes.

Day 7 but i sure aint one fo countin.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I'm not a big fan of politicians or most governments generally, but good to see Obama talking about heroin and drug addiction as a public health issue rather than a criminal one.

Speaking at a drug abuse summit in Atlanta, the US president committed to tackling heroin and prescription opioid epidemic with prevention and treatment

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Good sunday morning from the coveted beach pad as featured in 2014 September Vogue and next months Cosmopolitan magazine.

Day 8 but I sure ain't never been one for countin. The feelings very good within on all levels so am enjoying the moment. How will i respond today if someone ruffles my feathers? I suppose i'll just have to understand that any attack is never personal and is coming from that person/s for their own reasons. But i am looking forward to some road raging on my way to rehearsal later.

It occurs to me on this quiet peaceful morning that for those of us like me who have had enough of boozing, it all starts with removing the grog from my daily life. No bargaining or hoping. It just gets in my way. I get in my way. When i look back over the years, i've had gr8 times with booze. I've also wasted and missed years of potential gr8 times, personal growth and progress. No amount of boozy partying is ever gonna top some of the ones i've had. For me, removing booze from my life 24/7 is what is required. Simple as that. Not easy, but simple.

My way is clear, and i know what to do.

Let the good times roll.
            Last edited by Guitarista; April 2, 2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Day 9 but who, i say who's counting?

Cool, fresh and sunny autumnal morning here. Noice.

Ooroo.

Comment

Hi Mr. G- all AF days are good AF days! So, the counselor I've seen a couple of times comes highly recommended here in New England. He is a regular old counselor, not specifically a drug and alcohol counselor. I filled him in on my history of alcohol and drug abuse. But my days of seriously crazy drinking and drugging pretty much ended 25 years ago, so I think he is looking at me as a regular client and not specifically a drug and alcohol guy.

Since the last time I posted, I have concluded that he just doesn't like me. He thinks I'm a self-centered, pompous asshole. And there is a part of me that is like that. In fact, that part of me is the very reason I wanted to see a counselor- for help being more genuine, more caring, more connected. So it is really a shame. He basically told me to shove off at the end of the second session, but when I responded that I wasn't expecting to graduate quite so soon he told me to come see him again next week. I do have a history of alienating folks. I'm a little too aggressive when I'm sober; when I'm drunk it gets much worse. I could never drink in rough bars, in fact, because I'd be in constant danger of getting my ass kicked, and for good reason. :eek-new:

On the drug and alcohol side, truth is that this always a risk for me, even though I am 60 years old now. I haven't had a drink or a prescription pill (benzo or painkiller) in a year, but that doesn't mean I don't think about it now and then. And if I drank again I doubt I would go out on a tornado-like binge like I might have done 25 years ago. It'd be more like I'd start drinking 3-5 beers every evening (which is my longtime pattern), sometimes mixing the beers with a couple of benzos, lyricas, adderalls, or whatever. (I enjoy mixing relatively small amounts of pills and beers- stupid me.) Anyway, my happy hour behavior would start getting my wife depressed and resentful, so it'd be a bad scene overall. Hence my desire (?!) for sobriety.

So how goes it in your corner of the universe?

Comment

Top of the tuesday morning to you Lex and all from the beach pad. Sunny day ahead forecast and i will be taking full, i say full advantage of it.

All good here on day 10.

Edit: Congratulations on a year off the booze mate. Huge effort.

Full marks for wanting to carry on with that counsellor Lex. I'd imagine it's hard enough just fronting up. Not sure counsellor has the best attitude, but as you say see how it goes next session. A younger bloke i'm in a band with was talking with me the other day about his boozing, and we spoke about how if drinking is causing unhappiness, or if it's affecting relationships, work, health, personal growth, then it's time to address it. Which to me means dissecting it and deciding whether to continue as is, or change ourselves. For me even just a few beers a night would just be existing, not living how i want to. Takes the edge off. I want the edge, warts and all.

I am powering on leaving my drinking days in the dust. I'm trying to set myself up emotionally for the day with morning meditation, as emotional turmoil is my kryptonite. But i want to feel them too. Badass with a heart. See how i go.

Someone here suggested i should act my age and grow old more gracefully and stop chasing/talking chicks etc. lol. Fk that. And no offence taken, but I'll be the one travelling about carving it up at gigs, or running trails for the rest of my days rather than accept a life on the couch watching TV.

Have a rippa out there y'all.
                  Last edited by Guitarista; April 4, 2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Top of the morning reader. Must be day 11, but who, i say who is counting?

Morning meditation done. Just a 10 minute simple meditation focusing on my breathing and observing the many thoughts. I do latch onto some thoughts and dwell, but then i realise what i'm doing and just return my attention back to my breathing. There is no right or wrong here. Simple eh? Should be a zen samurai gun by years end.

In class today. Looking forward to it. Have a rippa out there.

Comment

hi mate, just popped in to say g day.
                      g day.

Comment

G'day Aspy! Good to see you. Hope all's well there mate.

Must be day 12 but who's counting? Starty?

Sunny days forecast ahead, around 20c. Yeaah. Will take full advantage running on the beach and diving in to the now becoming icy bay. Lunch with me ol mum today. Then some strummin to be sure. Good class yesterday and homework done last night so in the bag. No falling behind this year to the point of overwhelmed.

L8tr g8trs.

Comment

good for you on 12 days! I'm rooting for you Mr. G!

Comment

Originally posted by lex View Post
                            Hi Mr. G- all AF days are good AF days! So, the counselor I've seen a couple of times comes highly recommended here in New England. He is a regular old counselor, not specifically a drug and alcohol counselor. I filled him in on my history of alcohol and drug abuse. But my days of seriously crazy drinking and drugging pretty much ended 25 years ago, so I think he is looking at me as a regular client and not specifically a drug and alcohol guy.

Since the last time I posted, I have concluded that he just doesn't like me. He thinks I'm a self-centered, pompous asshole. And there is a part of me that is like that. In fact, that part of me is the very reason I wanted to see a counselor- for help being more genuine, more caring, more connected. So it is really a shame. He basically told me to shove off at the end of the second session, but when I responded that I wasn't expecting to graduate quite so soon he told me to come see him again next week. I do have a history of alienating folks. I'm a little too aggressive when I'm sober; when I'm drunk it gets much worse. I could never drink in rough bars, in fact, because I'd be in constant danger of getting my ass kicked, and for good reason. :eek-new:

On the drug and alcohol side, truth is that this always a risk for me, even though I am 60 years old now. I haven't had a drink or a prescription pill (benzo or painkiller) in a year, but that doesn't mean I don't think about it now and then. And if I drank again I doubt I would go out on a tornado-like binge like I might have done 25 years ago. It'd be more like I'd start drinking 3-5 beers every evening (which is my longtime pattern), sometimes mixing the beers with a couple of benzos, lyricas, adderalls, or whatever. (I enjoy mixing relatively small amounts of pills and beers- stupid me.) Anyway, my happy hour behavior would start getting my wife depressed and resentful, so it'd be a bad scene overall. Hence my desire (?!) for sobriety.

So how goes it in your corner of the universe?
                            LEX -do not be fooled by your own arrogance. Therapists, counselors, etc. thrive on people who think too highly of themselves (lol). Seriously, if he/she can earn money from your visits, they will not turn you away. You are perfect candidate for them to practice with.

Comment

The best of the best of good satdee mornings from the beach pad to friends near and not so far.

Yo SF. Hope all's well there mate. There sure are a few dodgy therapists/counsellor folk out there who don't have a clue, or are a little burnt out and just paying the bills. Fortunately there are also a few very good ones around too. The tricky part is to find em.

The sun is a shinin on day 14 but who, i say who's counting?

Here's something for you Starty, just in case you lose your way.......

If you ever find yourself lost in the wilderness or adrift at sea with no way to tell which direction you're traveling, an analog watch (or any similar clock face) can act as a compass and help you get your bearings. All you'll need for...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritfree View Post
                                LEX -do not be fooled by your own arrogance. Therapists, counselors, etc. thrive on people who think too highly of themselves (lol). Seriously, if he/she can earn money from your visits, they will not turn you away. You are perfect candidate for them to practice with.
                                Hi SF- Well in all seriousness I do want to keep seeing him for at least a few months. Arrogance and self-absorption are not pleasant traits for myself or those around me. I do feel I have made some improvement during my first year of sobriety but I seem to be a tough case. Not proud of it and my ridiculous grandiosity when drunk has cost me any number of friends over the years. Truth is I had no one to drink with towards the end. Even the real alkies steered clear of drinking with me due to the possibility of me engaging in absurd and humiliating over-the-top behavior. I used to drink a lot with four friends: in the last few years, two have had liver transplants, one has died of the disease and one is in AA. I behaved worse than all four put together when I was drunk, though maybe I did not drink quite as all-day non-stop as they did. Moreover, I wouldn't have believed you if you told me any of them were alcoholic. I thought we were just on a roll. Now I know better. Took long enough though.

Comment

Working...
                                X