No announcement yet.

is PAWS real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 cents: I experienced all the symptoms Pie mentioned.
    Not sure it is over yet either, good to know that just more time af should help.
    Sometimes I worry I am losing it too!
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Howdy everyone, here's a great read on P.A.W.S. if you're interested... http://whatmesober.com/paws/
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Pauly - don't know if it's PAWS or not, but I'm six months sober, and wham - got flattened. Couldn't cope. The anxiety and insomnia was overwhelming. Made an ass of myself here recently on MWO, and didn't fare much better in my real life. I thought it was due to stress, and while I'm sure that didn't help, I knew intuitively that it was more. I told a friend that I feel like my mind and body are toxic again. How can that even be possible? Well, when I think about it logically - it makes perfect sense. I drank for decades. Six months is a good start, but my body will need longer than that to repair itself. Anyway, I started on another detox diet - lots of fresh juice, and healthy food. I'm also taking healing baths, and practicing yoga and meditation. I am treating myself the way I did in the very beginning. Things that fall by the wayside after some time sober. Be extra kind to yourself. I hope that helps. xx

Byrdie, I agree that it's scary to tell newbies that this is what awaits them in the future. It's a splash a freezing cold water, but let me add that the discomfort is nothing compared to the hangovers, damaged relationships, and financial ruin that AL brings to our lives. It's just something to be aware of so we can be prepared to handle it if it happens.
        Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Excellent post Mossy,it does make sense that it's gonna take time to heal,I wonder if some people get it worse?maybe heavier drinkers or people already prone to anxiety and such? Who knows, I just think it's good to be on the lookout, btw,you didn't make an ass out of yourself, I've wanted to leave MWO many times because of conflict, that's why I try to just stick to certain threads, I don't need upset from the place I consider a safe haven
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Moss I hear you completely. Ditto to all the above. Especially the going back and looking after ourselves again.

If I had known about PAWS in my vodka poisoned fug I probably would of thought, sod that whats the point!

Nothing feels as good as being Sober :yay:
            I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

This PAWS thread has me wondering if some of the anxiety about death that I've had lately is from something like this. It is out of character for me to think this much about death and dying and it is so troubling and depressing and scary. Sometimes I think a lot about it happening to me, but also I think a lot about others, especially young people. I've seen a few relatively young people (40-50 years old) pass away in the past couple of years and lately I think about it too much. Anyone else have this problem?

Comment

I kind of do, Frances. It started by losing my brother when he was 17 (I was 13). Having someone literally snatched away from you like that makes you realize that we are not invincible. But since I lost my dad 2 years ago, I have had a series of deaths very close to me and these people are young! (in their 40's and 50's). It just makes you think....and of course, worry. I know I have already lived longer than I have left....AND I wasted an awful lot of it by drinking. When I have days like that, I try to turn it around with the gratitude thing. I really DO appreciate life more now...maybe that's why I am painfully aware that it is limited. Hard to describe, but I know what you mean. I also imagine it is a factor in getting older (I'm 55). It could be normal....I'm glad you asked the question, we'll see what others say. Hugs to you, B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks Byrd - and I'm so sorry to hear about you losing someone when both of you were so young! That must have been very difficult. I, too, think it may just be a factor of age too. I just never thought about it nearly as much as I do now. I agree with your approach of gratitude and I know I want to make the most of my time here too, whatever that means for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                    I know I have already lived longer than I have left....AND I wasted an awful lot of it by drinking. When I have days like that, I try to turn it around with the gratitude thing. B
                    Wow Byrdie - You just slapped me upside the head. This is amazing. This is it. This is what has been bothering me so much lately. I just couldn't pinpoint it. The waste of time. The fact that most of my life is behind me, and I can't get that time back. So many "what ifs." What if I had never taken that first drink? What if I had married the right man? What if I had been a better steward of my financial resources? I can see it now. I'm spending what time I have left wallowing in regret. Not that I'm old - we're the same age - but time is weighing on my mind more these days. Thank you. I'm grateful. Starting right now, this minute, I will remind myself of all that I do have, not what is lacking in my life. That's all on me. xx

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. What a tragic loss at such a young age.
                    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Frances, I went thru a period of time when I felt pretty shaken up about death too. In hindsight I think it was because there were a number of deaths that felt close to home - first it was one dog that I had to put to sleep, then my friends Mom, a close friend of Byrdie's died, I had to put another dog to sleep- it all really got to me. It made me feel jangled emotionally and vulnerable. Being sober through all of it was strange because in the past if I had felt uncomfortable I could have hitched a ride out via AL. On the heels of this it seemed like bad stuff was happening all around with folks I follow on MWO. I remember posting about it. It was a very doomy & gloomy feeling (we're quitting drinking and NOW bad stuff is happening?) I am glad to report that the feeling passed. I hope you are feeling better.

ps A fascinating side effect of quitting drinking and counting the days, is that the time really stretches out into something that feels longer than time passing used to. Its been 13 months plus since I last drank and I cant believe how rich in emotional experience that time has been. Huge difference from drinking days. Another bonus to sobriety
                      Last edited by jane27; February 19, 2015, 12:17 AM.
                      AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Sooo I was at my addiction counselor yesterday and was describing the feelings I get before a relapse and he said"sounds like post acute withdrawal symptoms" sleep will suck,shitty mood, happens in 30 day rotations, preoccupied with thoughts of drinking out of nowhere, so I guess it is a thing, brain jumping in waves to repair itself,whatever it is, it feels like Shit!

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly. I believe it is real and understanding it was key to my recovery so far. I love The NIH and some research posted there suggests 90 percent of recovering alcoholics suffer from it. Unfortunately It is poorly researched and so it's poorly understood. For me I went through periods where I thought "what the hell if this is what recovery means then what's the point" Understanding that this short lived setback was normal and that it's reoccurance would become rarer as I progressed with my recovery gave me hope.
                          Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Agreed TJAF,I always just thought I was going kinda crazy and gave in every time it got tough,just have to ride it out or else it'll never get better

Comment

bump

Comment

Would taking a antidepressant help with paws? Does anyone know? Tried googling it and it only shows withdrawal from the antidepressants

Comment

Working...
                                X