No announcement yet.

the toughest battles ~ the anxiety thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bri, anger was my biggest trigger as well, it took a few sessions with my counsellor to understand it though. She had me keep an anger diary for a week. I was to write down each time I became angry, rate the anger on a scale from 1 to 10, then write down what I did because I was angry. After the week was up and I read back over it, I realized that I usually got angry over things I couldn't control. Just like Jackie said, I also wanted to change things that I had no control over! Instead of just letting it go, I became frustrated then angry, and there was the excuse I needed to get drunk...

At our follow up session, She asked if I saw any pattern to my fits of anger. I told her about the control issue, and that I found that in most cases, I let frustration build to anger. I let frustration stew in my head until it built to anger. So the lesson I learned is that I have to deal with the situation at the frustration level, do what I could or just let it go, not let it build to anger. It's becoming easier and easier to do that now. The minute I feel frustration taking over, I stop and look at the situation, is there anything I can do about it? If there is, I do what I can in a rational way, if not, I just let it go......
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Jackie - thank you for taking the time to respond, I am sorry to hear that you are having a rough go with dealing with your husband's untreated ADD. I did see your other thread and I hope that someone was able to PM you and give you some advice.
      I have no doubt in my mind that I am a sensitive person...actually, I KNOW I am...and I also can relate to what you are saying about being unable to watch violent movies...or even the news! Not only does it really bother me, but it feels a lot worse with the OCD - as I can latch onto it and become obsessed...much to my dismay, I oftentimes cannot help it. That's why I drank...because then I wouldn't think about it. Because when alcohol hit the bloodstream, the other part of my brain KNEW that what I was doing was completely irrational.
      And yes...that's probably a big problem for me too...being unable to control things that are simply out of my control.
      Thank you for listening Jackie - it did help to know that you read my post...and that you can relate...

Cowboy - I totally get what you are saying, as I mentioned ^^^, I do have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that sometimes I can't control things as much as I want to. And it's totally true for me as well, I get to anger from feeling that level of frustration that I do not deal with. Yesterday, I was being a little bit irrational in my argument with my SO...I saw what I was doing. I sat there, frustrated, then angry then raging! Next thing I knew, I blew up at him and was in tears (for the stupidest reason as well might I add but f**k, Saturday's are one of the worst days for me...and I was having a hard time in general)...
      I saw it coming. Instead of dealing with the situation RATIONALLY, I let my emotions get the best of me, I allowed my anger to get the best of me.
      So I know that this is something I need to work on as well.
      I don't think that I dealt with it smartly...or well...because I still feel a little "off" with the way things happened yesterday...
      But at least I didn't drink.

It's funny...because I thought about it....and I totally could have...but I knew that I couldn't...like, I COULD NOT do it...as much as a small part of me wanted to...because this time I really want to handle things differently.
      It's funny, it was always my downfall before. I have to be mindful of that. Always, when I am close to the 30 day mark (when I'm in the 20's-ish) I have an anger blow-up that has always led me to the booze.
      Can't do that this time...won't do it.

Gawd, I HATE that feeling...anger is so raw and visceral...
      I think next time I gotta punch a pillow...I feel like it's a physical emotion that needs to be let out physically - therefore, I am going to pound the pavement today...need to get the remaining crap OUT before my mind begins to wander elsewhere.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Anxiety kicking into high gear!!

So...today, I have my psych appointment. One hour away. I am really hoping that he works with me today. The first time he said I had to get thirty days sober, I slipped up and he didn't help me...said I needed another 30 before he could. So I really hope he does. Because I am not sure I can deal with this anxiety and OCD for another month on my own. It's really getting me down and I don't want to be depressed. It's just a struggle.

I told myself in the beginning that if I make it all this time and he doesn't help again that I would go back to drinking.
        But where would that get me?? Back to square 2?
        Never square one because I have come too far the last year and a half.
        I know it makes everything worse. So I cannot go back to that. So if he can't help I am really going to have to reach deep down inside and muster up the strength to persevere.

I just hope this appointment goes well. I really hate this anxiety.

Comment

Working...
        X