On Remembering 9/11/01: Where were you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Remembering 9/11/01: Where were you?

Fourteen years ago today, the world was shocked at terrorists used hijacked passenger planes to carry out coordinate suicide attacks against the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., killing everyone on board the aircraft and nearly 3,000 people on the ground.

"That" tragic day is a day that will never leave my mind. I think about "that" day every time I read in the news of any terrorism event or threat thereof. I made a gratitude post relative to this topic and would really like to hear from others what they (you) experienced that day -in your mind, your life, and your family's life.

As for me, I was outside working on a construction site and heard that a plane had crashed into one of the towers. My first thought was "what a tragic accident". My next thought was just exactly how does an "accident" like this happen. Shortly thereafter, I heard about the other plane and then I knew that we were under attack. I remember thinking "what the hell is going on?" I could not put into perspective what was going on. I felt "helpless" in the sense that no one could immediately control what was going on and I could not control anything that was going on either.

"That" day, I did not drink more than I usually did each day -and in fact, I probably drank less. This was a period in time when I was attending AA and trying to quit. That afternoon, thoughts of alcohol did not immediately enter my mind; instead thoughts of sadness, fear, action entered my mind.

"That" day, that afternoon, I left my construction project and told everyone else to go home as well. Thoughts raced through my mind on the way home and the only real thought that I had was that I could hang an American flag on the telephone pole near my home -and that is just exactly what I did. I did not care what anyone thought about me or what I was doing that afternoon - stepladder, flag, busy highway -nailing a flag to a pole. (Typically, I would have been concerned "what others thought".) This was the only thing that helped me to 'feel' a fractional bit better about what was going. Three or four hours later, there were American flags hanging everywhere, on streets-buildings-poles,etc. Perhaps many of us "just" wanted to try to do 'something' to feel as though we were helping and standing in allegiance with our fellow suffering Americans?

--sf--
    Last edited by Spiritfree; September 11, 2015, 09:51 AM.

SpiritFree, I was working in an elementary school as this news broke. We went into lockdown, and it was so difficult trying to comfort those children when we didn't know what was happening. It still brings tears to my eyes.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I am a government contractor and was going to a weekly status meeting. I heard about the planes on the news driving in to the meeting. Everyone was talking about it and during the meeting, a senior official came to the meeting and pulled someone out. We learned then about 2nd building being hit and the meeting ended. My government Project Officer was a Commissioned Corps Officer in the Public Health Service. He is a pharmacist and often gets called to provide support during disaster situations. We went up to his office and he was making plans for what he might need to do. He was so angry he kicked a hole in his office wall. All government facilities were being evacuated and we were in a government building. I stayed with him and watched the parking lot evacuate. My kids were in day care - daughter was 1 and son was 2 1/2. I was very worried and scared driving to get them. There was no way to call anyone, the cell phone traffic was too great and I could not make any calls. It was very surreal driving and knowing that everyone in all the cars around me were in a similar state. Knowing what had happened but not knowing what else might still be coming. The family was all home safe and sound by late morning watching, horrified, the reports on the news. What a tragedy it was.

Comment

I was in the break room at work, waiting to start my shift on the dialysis unit. I was on the phone with Mrs. Fen when the secretary ran into the break room, turned on the t.v. and pointed repeatedly at the screen so I would notice the first plane crashing into the world trade center. I hung up and watched, frozen, as another plane flew into the other tower.

I have never been so horrified by anything in my life. : (

The staff briefly discussed disabling all the patient t.v.s, as most of the patients were elderly and we were afraid of how they'd react to the news, but ended up keeping all the sets on.

Comment

I had just returned home from dropping the kids off at school. Was going to just relax a bit with a cup of coffee before starting on my day. We live on a flight path to an major airport and planes flying overhead has become so routine we don't even hear them anymore, I remember how eerily quiet it was that day. I was glued to the tv the entire day, disbelief as the events unfolded. We live so darn close, it was terrifying. I did not drink as this was way before my drinking days.
          The next evening we drove over to the NYC skyline on this side of the Hudson. We viewed the devastation from afar. There were memorials set up all along the path. We were numb that this devastation had occurred and occurred in our backyard!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
            SpiritFree, I was working in an elementary school as this news broke. We went into lockdown, and it was so difficult trying to comfort those children when we didn't know what was happening. It still brings tears to my eyes.
            Sun -my wife was teaching that day in an elementary school and they too went into lock down. I am glad that most of the teachers were able to be in a state of mind where they could help and comfort the children while at the same time worrying about their own families. Teachers/assistants are heroes in my book anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by frances View Post
              I am a government contractor and was going to a weekly status meeting. I heard about the planes on the news driving in to the meeting. Everyone was talking about it and during the meeting, a senior official came to the meeting and pulled someone out. We learned then about 2nd building being hit and the meeting ended. My government Project Officer was a Commissioned Corps Officer in the Public Health Service. He is a pharmacist and often gets called to provide support during disaster situations. We went up to his office and he was making plans for what he might need to do. He was so angry he kicked a hole in his office wall. All government facilities were being evacuated and we were in a government building. I stayed with him and watched the parking lot evacuate. My kids were in day care - daughter was 1 and son was 2 1/2. I was very worried and scared driving to get them. There was no way to call anyone, the cell phone traffic was too great and I could not make any calls. It was very surreal driving and knowing that everyone in all the cars around me were in a similar state. Knowing what had happened but not knowing what else might still be coming. The family was all home safe and sound by late morning watching, horrified, the reports on the news. What a tragedy it was.
              Frances -sounds to me like you showed some true courage staying with your Project Officer while everyone else left.

Now that you mention it, I remember driving home in the same state (surreal). My brain was having a very difficult time understanding/accepting the realty of what had just occurred.

--sf--

Comment

Originally posted by fennel View Post
                I was in the break room at work, waiting to start my shift on the dialysis unit. I was on the phone with Mrs. Fen when the secretary ran into the break room, turned on the t.v. and pointed repeatedly at the screen so I would notice the first plane crashing into the world trade center. I hung up and watched, frozen, as another plane flew into the other tower.

I have never been so horrified by anything in my life. : (

The staff briefly discussed disabling all the patient t.v.s, as most of the patients were elderly and we were afraid of how they'd react to the news, but ended up keeping all the sets on.
                Fen -I never once thought about how elderly patients might respond relative to the tragedy.

"Frozen" -is probably the best descriptive word that have seen used to describe most Americans very first reaction.
                --sf--

Comment

Originally posted by Lizann View Post
                  I had just returned home from dropping the kids off at school. Was going to just relax a bit with a cup of coffee before starting on my day. We live on a flight path to an major airport and planes flying overhead has become so routine we don't even hear them anymore, I remember how eerily quiet it was that day. I was glued to the tv the entire day, disbelief as the events unfolded. We live so darn close, it was terrifying. I did not drink as this was way before my drinking days.
                  The next evening we drove over to the NYC skyline on this side of the Hudson. We viewed the devastation from afar. There were memorials set up all along the path. We were numb that this devastation had occurred and occurred in our backyard!
                  Lizann -I can not even imagine living in or near NY city that day. I just have no way to estimate what my reaction would have been had I lived there.
                  Thank you for your post.
                  --sf--

Comment

Working...
                  X