No announcement yet.

The Three Principles Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a rough day at work. I got really angry. But after it was over on the way home I thought about it and realized that I could rehash everything over and over, or I could just let it go and enjoy the rest of the day. It was over and reliving it served no purpose. Had a pretty good rest of the day. A wonderful surprise was waiting for me when I got home.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Been missing a few days due to phone/internet problems.

It was annoying but a big part of me just let it wash over and go with the flow. Before this I would have been sooooo stressed out.

On the down side I have been feeling a little lost and sad....I have no idea why BUT I have let the feelings wash in and out like the tides and will see where they lead, if anywhere.

I have been listening to my wisdom and NOT dealing with anything that can be avoided whilst in this low mood.
      Feeling better today and the world hardly noticed my absense!

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
        On another thread there was a discussion yesterday and something came up about cravings that I thought I'd share here:
        I read Hazel's thread and it is so heartening to read what a difference this understanding can make. We all 'get it' eventually if we just let it seep in but it seems to have 'clicked' for Hazel

Comment

Glad to see you back, Kuya. It is really unsettling to me when the internet suddenly isn't available. It matters primarily because I work online but I feel odd without the other connections, also. Occasional breaks are good, though - I just prefer to be the one to choose when and where.

I have been listening to my wisdom and NOT dealing with anything that can be avoided whilst in this low mood.
          That for me is the "application" I've taken from this understanding - not to do anything while I'm not thinking straight. Given that my tendency is to try to fix everything immediately, this not taking action is a change in a 'do nothing' sort of way.

We all 'get it' eventually if we just let it seep in but it seems to have 'clicked' for Hazel
          Her experience has been amazing and I'm so happy for her! It is kind of what I would wish for, I guess, but I seem to be a slow evolver.

I hope your mood has lifted even more. xx, NS
          Last edited by NoSugar; January 15, 2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

From Judy Sedgeman's blog ..... Stop being so serious

Comment

Totally agree with NS and Kuya. I too am not making decisions impulsively now. I leave things until I know my head is in a more relaxed state and will therefore make a better decision (if anything is actually needed) from a calmer base.

Just today I have received a message from someone who generally gets my back up. I am not responding immediately whereas before I would pile in immediately

Comment

Interesting talk by a psychiatrist who has based his practice on 3Ps for over 30 years:
                3PGC webinar - Dr Bill Pettit - April 2015 - YouTube
                Very hopeful!

Comment

That's a good one NS. I like where he talks about the plates passing by on a conveyor belt. Only taking the ones that appeal. Like our thoughts. Also for me personally the worry about someone else's addiction. Well all of my worry has done no good.
                  Only acting on something when we are in our right mind.
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

I liked that image, too, LB - made it easy to understand (I'd love to go to that restaurant!).

Another interesting observation was that after all his years of schooling, it wasn't until he understood the 3Ps that he finally felt like a mental health doctor - until then he had been a mental illness doctor. His perspective is really hopeful for anyone suffering any form of mental or emotional dis-ease.

He shares the views of others I've read that addiction (very broadly defined to include all sorts of substances and behaviors) is simply an effort to alleviate chronic mental stress (which we now know is the result of our thinking!).

I hope your your husband is finding some of the talks and readings helpful :hug:.

Comment

081 Dr Bill Pettit - There is a Cure for Mental Illness - YouTube

Comment

An interesting 'result' of 3Ps understanding has taken my attention this week.

One of the results of understanding that we are ALL lost in our thinking is to become better listeners as we attempt to truly hear the reality of others.

I have mentioned my 'problem' son many times on MWO, school, drugs, legal, employment, relationship difficulties all stemming from a mixture of absent father, depressed and drinking mother and, well, personality.
                        He is highly intelligent but extremely low self esteem tinged with a sense of superiority (ironically) . He knew his thinking was wrong but was stuck in a cycle of self destruction and, frankly, bullying behaviour.

Whenever I tried to discuss I would end in a row and angry scenes on both sides.

I was 'sorry' for what he had gone through as a young child but, if I am honest, I also justified it......and he resented that deeply.

A few days ago I allowed myself to truly 'listen' and he could feel I was. Because of that I found myself sharing a video of Eckhart Tolle which I had watched the day before. It was a decision that felt instinctively right.

To my amazement I returned 45 minutes later to find he had watched a couple more and said 'this is what I needed, mum'.

We talked some more and ended with the closest hug we had shared since he was a small child....some tears but mostly relief as he truly heard , and felt, how much I loved him.

My 'problem' son, 26 years old with a 10+ year history of unemployment and drug abuse has found direction through a video on the Internet of an odd little philosopher on the other side of the world.

Who would have thought?!?!
                        Last edited by kuya; January 20, 2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Kuya, I've also noticed how much my ability to listen has improved.. how it is possible, as you said, to see that the other person feels heard. And being able to understand and accept where another human is really coming from..it's a new experience for me..
                          Such a wonderful story with your son.. I'm very happy for you and for him. I've read a bit by Eckhart Tolle and really liked it...which videos have you liked most?

Comment

Originally posted by kuya View Post
                            An interesting 'result' of 3Ps understanding has taken my attention this week.

One of the results of understanding that we are ALL lost in our thinking is to become better listeners as we attempt to truly hear the reality of others.

I have mentioned my 'problem' son many times on MWO, school, drugs, legal, employment, relationship difficulties all stemming from a mixture of absent father, depressed and drinking mother and, well, personality.
                            He is highly intelligent but extremely low self esteem tinged with a sense of superiority (ironically) . He knew his thinking was wrong but was stuck in a cycle of self destruction and, frankly, bullying behaviour.

Whenever I tried to discuss I would end in a row and angry scenes on both sides.

I was 'sorry' for what he had gone through as a young child but, if I am honest, I also justified it......and he resented that deeply.

A few days ago I allowed myself to truly 'listen' and he could feel I was. Because of that I found myself sharing a video of Eckhart Tolle which I had watched the day before. It was a decision that felt instinctively right.

To my amazement I returned 45 minutes later to find he had watched a couple more and said 'this is what I needed, mum'.

We talked some more and ended with the closest hug we had shared since he was a small child....some tears but mostly relief as he truly heard , and felt, how much I loved him.

My 'problem' son, 26 years old with a 10+ year history of unemployment and drug abuse has found direction through a video on the Internet of an odd little philosopher on the other side of the world.

Who would have thought?!?!
                            Lovely story
                            Which of his videos was it KY?

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                              Lovely story
                              Which of his videos was it KY?
                              Eckhart Tolle pain dissolving - YouTube

Eckhardt Tolle - annoying people - YouTube

There are so many I forget which others...there is also his 'uncourse' which I want to follow.

Comment

I'm a fan of Tolle but struggle to stay in "the now". The 3Ps understanding helps with that.
                                Forgiving and gratitude naturally follow from the 3Ps as well.
                                I'm finding the three key things I've been seeking.
                                Thanks, again, Kuya, for returning to share this concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X