The Three Principles Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,
    I have opened a dialogue, expressed my concerns directly to the organisation via email & am awatiring a response.

Problems with the 3 principles
    MY

Manisha Young
    Thu 09/02/2017 15:56
    To:
    info@sydneybanks.org;

Hi,
    I have been introduced to your programme recently & think it is very useful for people to use in a number of different life experiences.
    However, beyond personal struggles with addiction & alcoholism and coping with day to day personal stresses I disagree with the application of the three principles in the strongest possible way in relation to my own personal experiences.

Sadly not all humans live by the three principals & 'no man/woman is an island. There are serious issues & wrongs in this world worth fighting for. Sometimes taking action in response to other people's reaction/opinion based on nothing else but personal feelings is absolutely the right thing to do.

There is great personal risk and little guarantee of any personal reward doing this. The hope of change for tomorrow for those that come after us is enough.

Yours Sincerely
    Miss Manisha Young
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wildflower.
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Re: The Three Principles Discussion Thread

bump

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
          A talk by Syd Banks about how we're ALL only a thought away from mental health:Three Principle Podcasts | 3PGC
          Syd Banks - One Thought Away
          I'm enjoying this talk by Syd. Simple and useful. there are heaps of other free podcasts at this link too. Thanks NS.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Old Syd (via Kuya) changed my whole take on life, Mr G. I'm glad you're giving him some time :hug:.

Comment

My understanding of the 3Ps is that they are a description of how things work - not a directive to take or not take a specific action. I completely agree with you that In fact, I was really struggling a couple days ago. I couldn't stop thinking about many things despite the fact that the feelings that came with those thoughts were very bad and almost crippling. But what understanding the 3Ps does is enable me not to be so alarmed about and scared of my feelings. I know where they are coming from (my thoughts at that moment) and that they will pass. I'm not going crazy and won't always feel as bad as I do in that moment.
              I like your description here NS. Thanks.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

3Ps at first sounded proscriptive and vaguely cultish to me, @Guitarista, and I was kind of turned off. I think the word "principles" is part of the problem given how I hear the word but in fact, it is an appropriate description. It is not a bigger deal to accept how humans create their reality through thought than accepting the principle of gravity. It's just how it works for people living on earth. Imagine how difficult life would be if we didn't understand that gravity was always at work here!! We would constantly feel like we were under attack.

Understanding that what you are going through right now is a function only of your thoughts about it doesn't make it hurt less but it sure can make it all feel less scary and overwhelming. Nothing anyone does or says is making you feel this way. You are not under attack. And even in your worst moments you can relax into knowing that these feelings are temporary - thoughts and the feelings that accompany them always change over time. xx, NS
                Last edited by NoSugar; August 15, 2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

bump

Comment

This thread is always good to read through again!

Comment

I come back to these principles often, but they also often escape me. Or I forget them, getting caught up in old ways of thinking. Not quite sure why..

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
                        I come back to these principles often, but they also often escape me. Or I forget them, getting caught up in old ways of thinking. Not quite sure why..
                        That happens to me all the time, LC, and I think to everyone who is trying to understand how we are the creators of our own experiences. Sometimes it seems impossible to believe that it isn't something outside of me causing me to feel the way I do. At those times, I just have to step back and explore whether someone else (or me, in a different mood) would think about whatever is going on differently and so feel differently about it. And the answer is always YES.

The clearest current event example of this is the situation here in the US with Trump - some people think he is horrible and is ruining the US and others think he is just what we need and is going to make us great. It turns out, Trump and his decisions are essentially neutral but how each of us thinks about him and his policies determines our experience. This is reflected in the media when you hear that Trump supporters and antagonists are living on different planets. And in a way we are! It all seems kind of hopeless but people's thinking can and does change moment to moment - and when their thinking changes, how they feel and experience life changes. And from that can come the change that makes this world a better place.
                        Last edited by NoSugar; January 15, 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

HI lc-

Have you read any books associated with the 3ps? I found Jack Pransky's "Somebody Should Have Told Us!" a big help in solidifying the 3ps for me.
                          I sometimes still fall victim to negative/anxious thinking. I still let my emotions take over from time to time. The good news is, relief comes the minute I realize that I am choosing those courses of action. I can step back, change my thoughts, and instantly feel better.
                          My life completely changed with the realization of the 3ps. While not perfect, life is a heck of a lot easier.
                          Take care.
                          JackieM

Comment

Originally posted by JackieM View Post
                            HI lc-

Have you read any books associated with the 3ps? I found Jack Pransky's "Somebody Should Have Told Us!" a big help in solidifying the 3ps for me.
                            I sometimes still fall victim to negative/anxious thinking. I still let my emotions take over from time to time. The good news is, relief comes the minute I realize that I am choosing those courses of action. I can step back, change my thoughts, and instantly feel better.
                            My life completely changed with the realization of the 3ps. While not perfect, life is a heck of a lot easier.
                            Take care.
                            JackieM
                            Good to see you, Jackie! I thought that book was really helpful, too. The main thing understanding how we work did for me was to help me take myself WAY less seriously. When I'm all worked up but can step back enough to realize I'm the one creating all the drama, it seems much less intimidating and scary. So often the ideas that have me most upset are the ones I've brought to life by trying to re-work the past, worrying about the future or worst of all, making up what others are saying or thinking.

Comment

Here's a bump to this thread..
                              Thanks for linking it in the Nest again, NS..
                              I spent most of yesterday reading here and listening/watching videos.
                              I really liked these 3 so in case anyone's interested..
                              An End to Stress with Michael Neill. It kind of sunk in and made sense with out having to think too much about it.

Michael Neil | An End to Stress (Part 1) - YouTube
                              Michael Neill | An End to Stress (Part 2) - YouTube
                              Michael Neill | An End to Stress (Part 3) - YouTube

Comment

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] - thank you for the bump. This post from [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] was EXACTLY what I needed to hear today.

Hi, LostSoul

I'm glad there was some useful material in this thread for you.

My understanding of the 3Ps is that they are a description of how things work - not a directive to take or not take a specific action. I completely agree with you that In fact, I was really struggling a couple days ago. I couldn't stop thinking about many things despite the fact that the feelings that came with those thoughts were very bad and almost crippling. But what understanding the 3Ps does is enable me not to be so alarmed about and scared of my feelings. I know where they are coming from (my thoughts at that moment) and that they will pass. I'm not going crazy and won't always feel as bad as I do in that moment.

I went to the march in DC last weekend and had a very positive, uplifting experience. I came home on Sunday, feeling ready to start working on some issues that I think are worth fighting for. And then on Monday, perhaps because I was tired but also because new things I think are wrong emerged, I totally broke down and cried over every little thing for most of the day. But for once instead of fighting it and telling myself I should feel differently and should buck up and what is wrong with me, I just allowed myself to feel what I felt. By evening I'd calmed down and was no longer chasing my panicky, this is the end of the world thoughts. Yesterday my calmer mind has brought some ideas for working on the issues that I think are important. And that feels good :smile:.
                                "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X