~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Rava, thanks for that honest post and really accurate description of the reason why we are here. No off switch, no boundaries, no limits after that first drink. I know exactly what you mean and I really like your honest description of your fear of humiliating yourself. I did that a time or two in my past and those times still haunt me. Hang in there and again, thanks.

Jude, I am loving Travels With Charlie! Thanks so much for the suggestion. I had no idea that Charlie would turn out to be his poodle! He is such an awesome writer, and Gary Sinese is the perfect reader for it.

My brother and sil are driving up from Louisiana for my other sil's funeral. His son and wife and daughter are driving up from Cincinnati at dinner time to meet up and have a meal with us. My son and grandkids are coming too. So, a house full. Finger's crossed for decent weather so the kids can get out and run and we can grill. Anyway, I'm going to be busy today getting ready. To be honest, drinking thoughts are strong due to the pressure of so much activity and interaction, but I don't want to ruin this get together by 'being drunk, slurring and unsteady on my feet'! So...

24 please and thank you.
    Last edited by dill; May 18, 2021, 12:30 PM.
    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Waves to the gang and wishes for a great AF day for us all!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours pleased& thank you.

It was nice to be back in our old community yesterday but Calgary is now home. We opted not to see Jessie while there. From pictures and updates we regularly receive, we know she’s thriving in her new surroundings. We’re worried that, as much as we’d love to see her, doing so wouldn’t be beneficial to her. Any thoughts, Cafe friends?

I’m glad you shared with us Rava. As we know, the beast is always lurking, waiting for an opportunity to regain control of our lives. And Covid isn’t the only stress contributing to our quality of life right now so the temptation, I find, is much greater. Dill’s quotes in her signature line are spot on for me, I read them often.

Big Al, hope all is well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Spring in Alberta, eh, Cowboy?

Today is my Parkinson’s care partner support group meeting via zoom. Always good to connect with others dealing with the same situation.

Have a great af Tuesday everyone!

QW
        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Rava, thanks for your honest post! And like Dill said, your description is spot on. I get that happy hour thing. It's the same way in our place in AZ. We usually walk the pup about the same time everyone is having happy hour and I hear people laughing and visiting for an hour and off they go. I couldn't do that. I'm not happy unless I have a good solid buzz. Broken brain here.

QW, If Jessie is happy in her new environment, my guess is seeing you won't bother her. Sounds like she's bonded to her new pack. That's my opinion anyway. It'd likely be harder on you!

Another school day! Thirteen days to go. 24 more!!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends. We are always here to support you Rava. Life can present challenges often and it is wonderful we have a loving forum to turn to. Have a great day. Another 24 for me. Blessings x
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

I totally get it Rava, and thank you for your honesty. I will never completely understand why our brains suddenly tell us that it's O.K. to drink. We forget the hangovers, the loss of ambition, and the health problems that go hand in hand with sucking down the booze. The important thing is not to say f##k it, but to keep strong and remind yourself why you quit in the first place.

I'll take our weather (80° and sunny) over your forecast [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]!
              [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] I think that as long as Je

Comment

5:29am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of wellness:
                [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Just keep moving ahead [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION], don't ever give up on lasting sobriety, it's there if you want it bad enough. I often think that if I have the determination to not drink, I should be able to stop myself after having one, but we all know that's not the way it works so why tempt fate.

Back at the house in Veg, started raining yesterday morning around 9, at least I got done the field I was working on. And we woke up to snow on the roofs and lawns! Only about an inch or so, but coupled with the rain, seeding will be on hold for a few days. And since we're on down time, Bubba went online last night and booked our first jabs for tomorrow morning. The quicker we all get vaccinated, the sooner we can get rid of these masks and life can get back to some semblance of normal!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

“I'm not happy unless I have a good solid buzz. Broken brain here”. Thanks for that statement Ginger which is the complete truth. Once that first glass goes down it becomes a bottomless pit. I have gained weight because of it. Thank you all for your kind words and support. I was sober for 8 years so I know I can do this. My beast is just working overtime and using retirement as an excuse. I don’t want to fly home to see my grandkids and lust over alcohol the entire time. I want to be that fun grandma that plays and stays accountable. So i have one month to get my shit together before I fly north. I have also rejoined the 30 day alcohol experiment with Annie Grace. Just another added support measure. Thanks again to all my friends on here that get it! Another 24 for me please and thank you.
                    Last edited by Rava; May 19, 2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Our Parkinson’s care partner support group Zoom meeting had 2 new members yesterday, always good to “see” new faces. It’s interesting how much we have in common in dealing with what our partners are going through. One of the members was describing how her husband’s symptoms first presented, almost identical to how Mrs QW’s journey with PD began. Mrs QW was diagnosed 5 years ago but among the earliest symptoms was panic attacks and they began 7-8 years before the diagnosis. And at the time the panic attacks were happening, I thought they were brought on by something I had done.

Cowboy, feel free to keep the snow up north! Glad you and Bubba are booked for your jabs. We’re looking forward to getting our second shots, hopefully in the next few weeks,
                      My brother is somewhat gullible and I like to take advantage of that from time to time. When he and my sister in law booked their first shots, I told him to make sure he wore clean underwear because not everyone got jabbed in the arm! Apparently I’m a smart ass! Who knew?

Have a great af Wednesday everyone! Rava, stay strong, you got this!

QW
                      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Hello cafe friends, I have been traveling for my work with only my work computer. Didn't want you all to think I had fallen off the face of the earth! Heading out again today for trip number two.

I made it through the first one, so this second should be a breeze.

Hope everyone is doing well!

24 more for me please and thanks.

Comment

Big Al, thanks for checking in! Glad all is well. Keep up the good work.

Rava, I may go back to Annie Grace too. I've been feeling pretty shaky in my quite. I may need a tune up before things get out of hand!

I'll gladly take 24!!

Comment

I made it thru yesterday without buying a bottle of wine but the temptation was very strong. The get together was really good and we were blessed with some beautiful weather so the kids and adults could all be outside. It was lovely. My brother is 6 years younger than me and he had a big problem with drinking as a young man. He quit 35 years ago now! Amazing to me. He must have been 28 when he quit and I think it is magnificent that he accomplished that. His first marriage crashed and burned but a few years later he remarried and had 3 more children. It wouldn't have been possible if he hadn't stopped drinking.

24 more please and thank you.
                            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends & seeding enthusiasts. Beautiful day here. We leave for Tahoe tomorrow. If you do not see a check in from me it’s because I’m in the wilderness. Lots of snow and cold temps await. Great to see you touch base BigAl. To those tempted by alcohol, remember, that’s normal. It is all about remembering what’s important and to always do the right thing. I love and support you all. You’re my people. So, go have a great day. Another 24 for me. Blessings x
                              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Stay strong everyone! For some reason the warm weather seems to increase the craving for alcohol, and my brain seems to think that a nice glass of wine on the porch would be a great idea.
                                I have to remind myself that "one is not enough, and a thousand is too many."

Thanks for checking in @Big Al!
                                [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] I'm glad that you're enjoying Travels with Charlie. I love Steinbeck's humor in this particular book!
                                [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] I'm so glad that you and your wife have such a wonderful support group. It's great that you can share your experiences with other people in the same situation.

Despite the cravings, I'm in for another 24.

Comment

Working...
                                X