~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

I do enjoy Neal Stephenson, in fact I read Snow Crash a few books back. I hate to admit that I'm a SciFi junkie. After Snow Crash I read Neuromancer, a classic and very much in the same vein. While not usually a best seller list reader, I just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow". Great book, worth the read. dill, my wife and I went through a canning and pickling phase a while back. We lived in Memphis at the time and had a huge peach tree in our back yard, I've never had a peach as delicious since.

Sober Thursday for me. Kind of a blah day, work is no fun and has not been for quite a while now. It is certainly a contributor to my general state of mind. At least I'm approaching it clear headed. Having a hard time not beating myself up and allowing myself to just move on. I think it will come with time, but I am kung fu ninja master when it comes to mentally whacking myself in the head with a club. Be that as it may, I am looking forward to another day of sobriety tomorrow, so 24 more for me please and thanks.

Comment

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], send some of those peaches my way! Yum!

I'd be most grateful for another 24 more!

Comment

There's nothing quite like a fresh peach picked ripe from the tree! Simply marvelous! And strawberries! What a treat. The other thing we have been enjoying lately is fresh sweet corn, picked from the garden just before supper,

BigAl, you sound like you are in the doldrums. I hope you can catch a breeze today and sail out of them!

I'll make a pie for you Jude, and everyone else in the cafe to share!

24 more please and thank you.
        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:29am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of wellness:
          [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I love this time of year with all the fresh fruit available! Watermelon, cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines, etc. I prefer a nectarine over a peach, but would never turn down a slice of peach pie topped with whipped cream or ice cream!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good morning Cafe. Now I want to go get some peaches! Yum. Cowboy thanks for the long post. It was very helpful and inspirational. I learn so much from everyone on here. Hope everyone has a great Friday. Another 24 for me please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Thick smoke and high humidity here today, less than ideal walking conditions but I plan to go anyway.

We too love this time of year with the fresh fruit and produce. Our dil gave us herbs from her garden, some of which will be included in the spaghetti sauce I’m making for supper tonight.

Have a great af Friday everyone!

QW
                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Hope everyone has a fabulous AF Friday!
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends and fresh fruit lovers. Loved A Gentleman From Moscow. I think my favorite of all time is The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Well, it is shite air quality here due mostly to the Dixie fire. I have cut back on distance even wearing a mask. It is hot enough w/o another layer on. Meditation done. Re: reading I absolutely love bookstores. When I enter all my feel good chemicals kick in. While I truly miss Borders Books and Music, I am an old independent book store junkie. There is nothing like the smell of old books and cat pee. We are off early for a spa day of sorts. Massages, then cryogenic facelifts, the cryotherapy chamber, then 15 minutes on the vibration plate. Oh, this is exciting. We found a hidden door (while cleaning) in our kitchen island which is a huge butcher block w/ built in cooktop. Never realized it was there. The previous owner had 200 silver quarters inside. I phoned her last night to tell her, she now lives in Oregon. She was extremely appreciative. We are sending them to her this morning before heading out. With that, I will gratefully do another 24. I wish you all the best weekend possible. Blessings x
                    Last edited by techie; July 30, 2021, 08:45 AM. Reason: Spell check
                    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

ADDICTION is giving up everything for one thing. RECOVERY is giving up one thing for everything

How true and applicable.

QW

24/7/365

Comment

Techie, we love independent bookstores. Our grandkids love reading and every year at Xmas, I give them money to buy books and last Xmas made the request that the money be spent at a particular small, independent bookstore that, like a lot of small businesses, was struggling through the pandemic.
                        While I love the smell of an old book store, I’ll pass on the smell of cat pee!

QW

24/7/365

Comment

Super late check in! Heading home tomorrow. It's been the best trip. 24 more!!

Comment

QW, great quote, I love it.

Well, today was better. I have about a week under my belt now so I feel good about that, just need to keep it moving forward. Even though yesterday was not great the math is simple. If you boil it down to two steps forward and one step back, at the end of the day you are still moving forward. I suppose that's how I feel. A sober week feels good even though there have been some fairly down days mixed in. So, overall I consider that a success and I'm proud of it.

The weekend. Always a tough time for me. My wife is working crazy hours (to be honest she never quits working, even when she is "home and off work" her phone is in her ear, or dinging with texts from staff, or her laptop is on her lap) and weekends get lonely. But, it is what it is. There are going to be lonely times, hard times, good times. None of it is a reason to head to the bottle. I hope as she sees me change my behavior we can regain some of the little things that we may have lost due to my inability to stay sober.

Looking forward to starting a new book tonight (I just bought three so I have choices to make), but before I head that direction I want to put out a very heartfelt thanks to the folks on this thread. You are the best, and you don't know how much of a positive impact you have had on me personally. So, with that, I will take 24 more please and thanks.

Comment

Your head seems to be in a much better place [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION]! Alcohol was a huge contributor to my depression. In time, you will start to appreciate and enjoy all of the things that life has to offer. You got it right about moving forward. Leave the past behind you where it belongs!
                              [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION], when you mentioned Borders books and music, a flood of memories returned. I would spend hours there in pure bliss. I feel the same when I am at the library. The world and it's troubles disappear, and I was wrapped in a cocoon of contentment.

Off to the farmers market this morning, another one of my favorite places!

24 more please!

Comment

5:29am in Alberta, I'll have 24 more please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of wellness:
                                [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Working...
                                X