~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Good afternoon Cafe Friends. I have learned more about canola than I ever thought I would know. It's not a crop that you see here, we are mostly beans and corn, some wheat, a tiny bit of milo, but that's it. The good farmers rotate, the bad ones abuse their land for money. We had a few volunteer corn plants in one of our bean fields and Dad pointed at it and said "I love to see those corn plants popping up, it tells everyone who knows better that we had corn in this bean field last year."

The chalkboard is good for me, I know that a 99% is still a passing test but I want some pain to accompany a slip. My pain is erasing the numbers off of that board so that I see it and my wife sees it and I can reflect on it properly. I am back on the horse. Going to supper tonight at the farm. I passed on the '34 Ford, just needed too much work and the '68 C10 is worth more than what they wanted to trade for.

All of you are in my thoughts, those awaiting test results, those starting a new pain regimen, and those just living life to the fullest. 24 more for me please and thanks.

Comment

Looking forward to another booze free 24 hours!

Comment

I'm right there with you, [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]!

Wishing everyone a good, af day!
        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:42am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of wellness:
          [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Well, would you look at that, I stand corrected [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]. It makes me wonder now if rapeseed was ever planted in our area. I'm going to have to check with the senior farm boss today! Thank you for that information!

I didn't get the whole day off yesterday, it dried up enough for us to get the remaining 70 acres of swathed canola finished. We drove all the equipment back to the yard and then I headed back to Veg to have supper and spend the evening with Bubba and Hank. Head back out this morning to do 50 hour services on the combines, fuel them up, then get at the last 1000 acres of standing canola. The weather looks good for this week, so as long as the canola is ready, we'll finish up before the weekend!

Crop rotation is practiced by everyone up here [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION], it's simply a must since summer fallowing became a thing of the past!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Thanks for the canola lesson Dill. Since I learned something, I’m taking the rest of the day off! I’m surprised though that they didn’t add an “eh”somewhere in the name.

We have more medical appointments this morning and after, we get to see Jessie. Her new family has been great to send us photos and updates and very kind to let us visit.

Ginger, I saw this and, regardless of anyone’s stance on vaccination against Covid, thought it shareworthy.

Election Day in Canada. Yay, finally an end of the political ads!!!

Have a great af Monday everyone.

QW
              AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
              F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Interesting info on the oils,they coulda picked a better name for "rapeseed " but I'll just pronounce it rap-A-seed haha,waves to the gang and wishes for a fabulous AF Monday!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks for clearing things up, Dill! I'm taking 300mg of gabapentin at night too. I'm feeling better and haven't even started PT yet. I'm reading a book called "The Way Out" by Alan Gordon. Fascinating read about the mind/body connection.

Starting to think about heading south and wrapping things up around here. Hubby wants to buy a place down there this year but I'm still on the fence about it. Guess we will see!

BigAl, I guess that's your "my way out". That's the beauty of this site. We get to figure out what works for us and have support from people that have been there. Glad you're here!

Hi to everyone! Glad you are all here. I'll gladly take another 24!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends and rap seeders. Another excellent book on the mind/body connection is You Are The Placebo by Dr. Joe Dispenza. I highly recommend this. We have tree removal going on today. Huge oak coming down that is dying. They will thin out in the backyard as well. Overdue, it’s been six years since we’ve had any tree work done. Chilly morning, so I had a huge smile on my morning run. Just glorious. For you back pain sufferers, me included, I’m going for an acupuncture treatment tomorrow afternoon. They use the needles connected to a TENS unit and add cupping during the treatment. This will be my second visit. I think it’s helping.

It is with a consistent level of loving gratitude, I accept another twenty four. I wish you all the best day possible. Blessings x

Last edited by techie; September 20, 2021, 10:08 AM. Reason: Typo
                    Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Good morning Cafe Friends. As I grew up on a farm and continue to harvest, I was curious enough to google how canola is harvested. Cowboy talked of "swathed" and "unswathed" and I had no idea what that meant. Wow, what a different crop to grow and harvest, sounds like timing is down to the millisecond to get a good crop and optimal moisture. Beans and corn are a little bit more forgiving I think.
                      [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] we have an ornamental pear in our front yard that I am afraid needs to come down as well. It's a beautiful tree and I hate to see it go, but I think there is no saving it at this point.

Anyway, my goal is to stay positive. My wife and I made a deal this morning to start walking at night and (I feel like I will get stabbed for saying this) QUIT SMOKING. My alcohol problems have prevented me from addressing some of the other issues that need addressed, and smoking is one of them. But, I will happily take 24 more please and thanks. I hope everyone has a spectacular day.

Comment

Late check in and missed a day yesterday. Been a complete whirlwind of a few days. Mr R and I put in a contract for a larger condo and our offer was accepted. So now here we go again. Mr R really wants a garage so this little villa has a 1 car garage which makes him happy. I will miss my friends here at this condo but we are only 5 miles up the road. That’s not too bad. I have not slept a full night in the past 3 nights. Exhaustion is the word of the day. Big Al, your set back is just that. All of your days of sobriety mean a lot. Don’t forget how successful you have been so far. Ginger sorry you have to go thru all the PT first. Medicare sucks. I hate how insurance dictates your health care. That should be left up to the doctors. Anyway, hope everyone has a great evening. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Good morning to all of my cafe family!

Lots of harvesting going on around here as well, with corn being one of the most common types of crop around here. We've had a 3 day stretch of good weather, and the farmers are scrambling to get the last cutting of hay in as well as chopping corn. Mr. J had been helping one of our friends get his crops in before the rain starts tomorrow. He's really enjoying it, but it would likely be a different story if he had to do it full-time!

Enjoy your visit with Jessie QW!I

Good luck quitting smoking [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION]!

24 more please and thank you!

Comment

I also don't know swathed from unswathed. I guess I'll look that up later too. It's corn and soy beans around here and the harvesting hasn't quite begun. Wheat was done and dusted earlier and just recently our farmer friend mowed and baled our second hay crop.

I made a batch of pepper jelly yesterday and it didn't set so today I am going to try to fix it. I just can't bear to throw it away! I'll let you know if the fix I found on the internet works.

24 more please and thank you.
                            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:39am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks..

In the last 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of wellness:
                              [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

I'm going to bet most farming practices are common all over North America, just different terminology used. Swathed means cut by a swather and put in windrows or swaths. Unswathed means it's left standing to be cut and combined at the same time. A pick-up header is used on the combine for swathed crop, a straight cut header is used on the combine for unswathed or standing crops. How do they harvest wheat in your area [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]? I imagine they straight cut the beans [MENTION=24510]BigAl[/MENTION]?

It was a beautiful harvest moon last night and beautiful to watch rise as we were combining! If all goes well we'll finish up the 2021 harvest tomorrow, the first day of fall!

Have a great day my friends!

Comment

Working...
                                X