Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Hola Cafe amigos!

Long time since I checked in but I think of you often and so appreciate the support I received in the Cafe.

Mrs QW and I are just back from 10 days in Mexico at our favourite all inclusive resort. I?m pleased that the thought of having alcohol never entered my mind. Even though it’s almost 5 years since I kicked the beast to the curb, I know what a sneaky so and so al can be so I have no intention of letting down my guard. ODAT still applies after all this time.

We noticed a few changes at the resort, our 6th time there, most notably that they’ve stopped giving complimentary alcoholic drinks as a welcome at the a la carte restaurants. Good! Booze is still available at any time if you ask for it but it’s not put in front of you automatically. Only one server really pushed al on us and I finally said asked him, in my best Spanish, What part of no are you not understanding?
    It was nice to be away but good to be home. And just in time because I haven’t started Xmas shopping. Guess what I’m doing today?.

I plan to read back and see what my Cafe buddies are doing. I hope everyone is well.

QW
    Last edited by Quit wining; December 18, 2023, 08:53 AM.
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

QW!!! So glad you checked in. I emailed you awhile back and when I didn't hear back, I got worried. Glad you enjoyed your time away!

Rava, safe travels!

Hi to all! I'll take another!

If you zoom in, you'll see "Cyrus the Cafe Cat" is blocking the stairs and intimidating the pup we were babysitting for the day. Pretty sure the pup will never come back!

Comment

Good morning Cafe friends. Great pics folks. BTW. I will celebrate 5k days of sobriety tomorrow. Much thanks to MWO and its amazing members. Off to Colorado tomorrow to ski with family over the holidays. I will observe ONLY. I tried my ski boots yesterday and they rub too much on the injured ankle. I will run however. Mrs Techie will ski with the kids. We have a family policy of not allowing anyone to ski alone. In 2009, my daughter caught an edge on the last run of the day. She went under the rope and down an embankment. She could nit get herself out. Fortunately, one of the sweeps heard her. So, another 24 please!!!

I wish you all the best Merry Christmas EVER. Blessings to you x

See you in a couple of weeks

IMG_7684.jpg
        Last edited by techie; December 18, 2023, 10:22 AM. Reason: Forgot image
        “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
          the chances of a white Christmas are looking pretty slim.
          Same here, though I won't complain, after the last couple of years were a "careful what you wish for" type of situation. Massive amounts of snow both years, arctic freeze and frozen pipes two years ago, and atmospheric river ontop of freezing rain and mounts of snow (causing basement fllooding) last year; both incidents happend right on/before christmas too. So this year I will be content to have a green (or I should say "gray") christmas, with no weather catastrophes (fingers crossed).

If you zoom in, you'll see "Cyrus the Cafe Cat" is blocking the stairs and intimidating the pup we were babysitting for the day. Pretty sure the pup will never come back!
          Hilarious!

[MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] wow the big Five O... O... O!!! That number is so big I can hardly even comprehend it. Congrats!
          Last edited by Mulburry; December 18, 2023, 10:30 PM.

Comment

So glad to see you QW, and glad that you enjoyed your time in Mexico! Happy holidays to you and Mrs. QW!

Ginger,I agree that Cyrus should be our cafe mascot! Such a cool dude!

Congrats techie on your recent milestone, very impressive.

It's snowing here now but I don't think that it will amount to much. Still looking like a green Christmas though.

Enjoy your time up North Rava. In the past, that would have been me drinking breakfast at the airport. My theory was that "it had to be noon somewhere."

24 more for all of us!

Comment

Techie, huge congratulations on your 5K days! Enjoy your ski vacation with family. Many blessings to you and all your family.. You are a light to this thread and many beyond to be sure.

Yes, Jude. In the past I would have had a drink at any time during the day. Especially if flying. Thankfully, that is in the past and staying there. But I still have strong mental images of sparkling glasses of wine and a beachside view that are hard to squelch at times.

QW, wonderful to hear from you. We have been thinking about you here in the cafe and Ginger reminded us that this is the time of year that you typically enjoy your Mexican getaway. Glad you enjoyed it and that they have made alcohol take a small step backwards so as not to pressure guests. Hope you enjoy a blessed Christmas.

Safe travels to you Rava.

Cyrus had things well in hand with that pup, Ginger. Hilarious!

We had some very wintery weather hear yesterday with snow squalls and wind. It would have made a white Christmas for sure. However, the weatherman said that the cold and snow will be leaving and that we are looking forward to a very mild Christmas. So [MENTION=24679]Mulburry[/MENTION], I will be enjoying a 'grey' Christmas with you! Fine with me.

Cowboy, are you going to put up some Christmas lights in the Cafe this year? Take a look at this display at a restaurant in a historic mill near here. Christmas Lights – Historic Clifton Mill

24 more for all of us here, please and thank you.
              Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:30am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these friends have joined in for 24 hours of wellness:
                [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] [MENTION=24679]Mulburry[/MENTION]

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Great to see you again [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]! Glad your trip was enjoyable without having the booze constantly pushed at you.

Great job on 5000 days [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION], that is a huge number. Enjoy your vacation with the family even if you can't be on the slopes.

Cyrus doesn't look very impressed with the houseguest [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] lol. And the pooch looks a tad worried about Cyrus lol.

That's quite the light show at that mill [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], don't think I'll do anything like that at the Cafe, but maybe today I'll get around to giving the place some Christmas spirit.
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Dill, thanks for the link to the lights! Such awesome displays. I've been listening to Christmas music and really feeling the spirit. This just added to that holiday feeling!

This is how old people celebrate here. Haha

Techie, congrats on 5k!! You're an inspiration to me.

CCC is making sure he has nothing in his teeth before he goes out for his morning walk. He has a reputation to maintain as a pretty boy!

I'll take another!

Comment

Can't compete with Cyrus of course, but here's the tree. Not bad for a $29 Canadian Tire special eh. It took a bit of time to setup because you had to unfold and shape the branches (even now my OCD has me still correcting a branch once in while haha).

20231219_100908.jpg

No idea why it's showing up horizontal, the pic I upload is verticle, hmm..,.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Mulburry; December 19, 2023, 02:48 PM.

Comment

20231219_100908 (Medium).jpg

Nope still doesnt't work... oh well, here is my wonderful sideways christmas tree!
                        Last edited by Mulburry; December 19, 2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the light show link dill, quite impressive! We also had some snowy weather yesterday as well, but it's supposed to warm up, so it will definitely be a green Christmas. I can't believe that it's only 6 days away. Yikes!

24 more for all of us please...

Comment

Jude, it's just five days until Christmas!

Thanks for the link to the Christmas Parade, Ginger. That was fun! I can't believe all the effort those folks put into their carts. It looked like everyone had a great time.

Mulburry thanks for taking the time to share your tree. It looked really great! I found one way around that problem of having the picture flip on its side was to select "square" when I took the picture with my iphone. Is that an option for you? Cowboy probably can give you some tips on posting pictures.

24 more for all of us here, please and thank you.
                            Last edited by dill; December 20, 2023, 06:53 AM.
                            Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:17am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the last 24 hours, these friends have joined in for 24 hours of wellness:
                              [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=24679]Mulburry[/MENTION]

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Good morning Cafe. I totally forgot to check in yesterday. Our flight was uneventful which was great. Congrats Techie on 5K days. Wow that is amazing. Mul, your tree looks great! QW. So excited to hear from you and happy that your 10 days in Mexico was successful. Ginger, Cyrus the cat is definitely our mascot. Hi Cowboy, Jude, Dill. Hope everyone has a good day. Making peanut brittle today with my grand daughter. 24 more please and thank you. It’s 27 degrees here. Definitely not Florida weather!!

Comment

Working...
                                X