• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

4:57 am in Vegas another 24 please
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

6:30am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
      [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] Mr Vervill [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Nothing worse than a mouthful of coffee spewing out your nose, fur lined flipflops Marylou?? lol
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I concur Dill, the tough times really show us what we're made of!

Ah, retirement, another thing on my bucket list lol. I had hoped to retire when I was 60, then changed my plan to 65, and have now not set any goal for retirement. I will get a very modest pension from the government if I choose to take it at 65, a pension from the College that I've just left sitting till I needed it. But it's not going to be enough to live on, and Bubba and I live a very modest lifestyle. We were debt free at one point, then the youngest daughter started her 8 years of university. So much for being debt free lol. But as the saying goes, you can't take it with you, and I don't mind being in debt if it allows my kids to follow their dreams!
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Feeling downright balmy here at 20 degrees!

Semi-retired at 61 here. Took an early retirement buyout from my company, and now working freelance in the same field. I work anywhere from 2-7 days a week, lol, so much for retirement. Don't really need the money as Mrs V has a good job, and carries the health benefits. Debt free except the mortgage, which will be done in just a few years.
          Dill, I do remember the winter of 93-94. spent some of the time outside working! Also remember the winter of 77 when the Ohio river froze. Just out of high school, in Kentucky, Maysville, and we walked across. Also, ice skated up three mile creek for miles!
          Better get ready for winter!

Comment

Dang it all, my sobriety calendar notifications somehow got set to 12 noon instead of midnight, but better late than never; Congrats [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], 1/3 of the year behind you!

Comment

Hi Everyone! I'm a bit envious with all the talk of early retirement and life in the country!:happy2: Seems like everyone is doing well.. which is great. Here's to 24 more af hours for us all!

Comment

And just when I thought I'd seen it all! lol

Comment

Love em Cowboy! And Mr V., I must get some of those very fashionable sockettes! I rode on the “old folks” bus with mom to the Hard Rock in Tampa today — made this retired 61 yo feel mighty young. And I made a nice contribution to the Seminoles. :sad: Oh well... like Cowboys says, “you can’t take it with you.” 24 more for me please. Stay warm all.
                  Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you!

A beautiful, sunny, warm day here, so much nicer to walk in.

Dill, you had asked about my wife’s diagnosis of Parkinson’s. She was diagnosed 18 months ago after a frustrating series of symptoms that our family doctor tried to treat. Nothing worked. We were at a family reunion in Prince Edward Island and of the 27 of us there, 3 were doctors and another a retired RN. They all said WTF is wrong with her? She had lost the use of her right leg, much of the use of her right arm, had speech and swallowing problems among other things. On our way home we stayed with my sister and her boyfriend in Toronto, both doctors, and they called in a few favours. My wife had an MRI, saw a rheumatologist an hour later and then saw a neurologist. It was the neurologist who diagnosed Akinetic Parkinson’s. Until then I thought there was only the tremor kind.

This is a degenerative disease and over time things like stairs will become difficult. She walks with a cane or walking sticks when we’re out but, thanks to the meds, she’s been able to resume driving.

I quit al following her diagnosis but relapsed last summer for a couple of months. I quit again in July, today is Day 171 I think.

Thanks for asking! Hope I didn’t bore you with the details!

QW
                    Last edited by Quit wining; January 3, 2018, 10:35 PM.
                    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Thanks cowboy.... hard to believe it's been 4 months. No regrets!

Comment

With 3 dogs and 3 cats, those would be my flip flops if I didn't vacuum everyday!:egad:

Comment

Jude, you are so right - being sober and present is a good thing and a necessary thing. With her having Parkinson’s I need, and want, to be there for her. This is one of those situations where sometimes bad things happen to good people.

3 border collies! I can’t imagine what that would be like!!! We’ve had Jessie about 5 months. Our vet figures she was about 2 when we got her from a “rescue”. I dislike that word. Jessie has fit in so well with our lifestyle and frankly, I’m not sure who rescued who!

Should we explain to our Australian friends, in case they aren’t aware, flip flops here are called thongs in Oz?

QW

24/7/365

Comment

Empy, that story of liquor producers forcing the Yukon government to stop putting the warning stickers on al seems to me like the tail wagging the dog. Isn’t the Yukon liquor authority a customer who buys lots of alcohol?
                            Funny way to treat a good customer!

QW

24/7/365

Comment

Hey everyone - it's been a long time since I've been here but it's good to see so much activity here. I've had 48 hours AF and will take another 24, please.

Comment

Great to see you [MENTION=22328]PanhandleKim[/MENTION]! It's funny but last night I was thinking about thread members past and present. I wondered about you specifically and how you were doing. I hoped you had continued your af life of course! But really happy to have you back in the fold for as long as you need!

@Quitwining, thank you for filling me in. I had no idea all that was going on in your life. Still waters run deep, eh? I think it is truly remarkable that you quit following your wife's diagnosis. It must have been very difficult, especially given the emotions you must have been dealing with at the time. Well done to you!
                                Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X