~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

A little light snowfall here in Jersey at 10:15 am. Busy morning, feel like I'm getting hit from multiple fronts. Keeps me dodging and weaving. Just have to remember to slow down once the smoke clears. Committing to another 24! Time to put on another pot of jo.

Last edited by Orimus; January 17, 2018, 10:36 AM.
    “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
    Newbies Nest Roll Call
    Toolbox
    Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
      ""An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it.""---Orlando A. Battista

A short and sweet one today. Let's never give up on ourselves.. My goal is to be completely sober.. not one drop of alcohol ever. I have to have a healthy fear of what will happen to me if I decide to drink and I AM very scared of the person I become, I know I then don't have any control over my life/actions. I prefer my life af a million times more than to what I had. Thank God I never quit quitting! Eventually if we really want it, we find a way to make it happen. I do believe that not drinking alcohol is one thing I have complete control over.. it's nice to have one thing in my life I can say this about!:happy2:

it's 10:30 here and it was snowing, but now it's already done. 24 more af hours for us all!
      That was a very inspirational quote, [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION]. I appreciate you taking the time to share that. I have not yet managed the quit that sticks that [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION] always talks about, but like you, I thank God that I never quit on my quit. Being here with all of you has been really good for me. I am a firm believer in choosing my friends wisely!

I'm committed to another 24. Thanks again for the inspiration, LC. I could sense my motivation was flagging this morning. But not anymore!
      Last edited by dill; January 17, 2018, 11:10 AM.
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Another 24 for today as a wise man told me “Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through right now....and tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to worry about.” So grateful.

Comment

Hola from Solidaridad! And since I can ask, another 24 hours, please & thank you.

Internet service isn’t the best here but hey, we’re in paradise so not a big deal. Since this is our second visit to the resort we were upgraded to a suite on a lagoon.

Day 1 without al went well although at lunch, the server was just about to pour a glass of red wine when I stopped him.

+2 Cowboy? Apparently my snow dance failed!

Adios amigos!

QW
          AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
          F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

LC’s quote about tears, sadness, and happiness reminded me how I used to hide or bury my emotions. I don’t do that anymore, I let my emotions out, even if it means shedding a tear or two. I try to keep my negative emotions in check, but I don’t bury them and let them build. Our emotions come to us from a single act or thought, it’s how I react to that action or thought that determines the type of emotion that I’ll feel. But it’s a blessing to know that I have all these emotions and that I can choose the way that I express them….

Errors, mistakes, failures, whatever….. it’s never the end until you succeed or give up. And as [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] said, as long as you never quit on quitting, then the quit that sticks will come to everyone! We’re all winners just from the fact that we’re not quitters! There’s no jumbotron or scoreboard that’s tracking time, penalties, or scores, there’s just you and today…..and that’s all we need…. with a bit of help, support, and being cheered on….
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good morning all.....7:30 am and 4 degrees F. I'd be grateful for another 24 please.

Comment

Single digit temps here, but lots of sun on the way. Always good to see the sun in winter.
                But I heard all my mistakes were being recorded on my permanent record! Time to lose the file.
                Have fun in Mexico, QW!
                Gotta run, working today.
                24 more for all of us.

Comment

6:25am in Alberta, 24 more please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                  [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=23019]tonyniceday[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22695]Inthesky[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

5:33 am in Vegas another 24 please
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 please!

Comment

“When I recognize the pain I feel because of loss, I am respectful of its presence and kind to myself. And in the truth of what has ended, I see displays of what might be beginning.”--Sylvia Boorstein

Often I get so caught up in the loss of something that I fail to see the "new beginnings" part. I'm trying to be very aware of that now. Leaving alcohol behind required some mourning (for me it has actually taken a looooong time to get past that stage!) but now it's becoming clear to me, how many "new" things are opening up to me. Some things really are new and some things have been around the whole time ..I just wasn't able to see/recognize them.

it's 3:02 here and I'm asking for 24 more af hours for all of us!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Vervill View Post
                          But I heard all my mistakes were being recorded on my permanent record! Time to lose the file.

24 more for all of us.
                          LOL! Yes, I heard that too! Maybe from a nun or two in my Catholic school upbringing? Luckily they also taught about redemption and forgiveness! I agree, time to lose that file. If we focus on that it will only hold us back. We need to keep moving forward!

Originally posted by abcowboy
                          there’s just you and today…..and that’s all we need…. with a bit of help, support, and being cheered on….
                          And that, in a nutshell is what I find in the Café, and why I am here! "Birds of a feather...."

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION], loved the quote again! It is so good to be reminded to look to the new possibilities that are in play and are possible once an old pattern has ended. You are not the only one here who has taken the looooong road, my friend! I'm right there with you!

24 more please, and thank you.
                          Last edited by dill; January 18, 2018, 10:22 AM.
                          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Sorry I don't check in every day, and I had to read a ton to see everything from my last login. The reasoning I don't log in everyday or often is that forum's in themselves became an addiction to me. This was a realization I came to during a conversation about substitution addictions in a SMART meeting. But 24 more.

To be honest, I had a lapse during what I thought was a season I had practice managing. Taking it in stride and everything is back to normal. Scary but the truth. I have some introspection as too why it happens and its a drug my doctor insists I take. I have lapsed within a week everytime I have taken Cipralex (escitalopram). I've tried it over and over at my doctors insistence. Its specifically prescribed for anxiety in lieu of using gabapentin or a benzo. I've decided to not risk my sobriety again by using it. There are countless people sounding out around the net about how SSRI/SNRI type drugs increase drinking. So I'll stick with Mirtazapine which is a tetracyclic and just cope using CBT methods and lay off the caffeine. I figured I'd be honest about my lapse for accountability reasoning.

Some responses about the Yukon article to abcowboy and I can't recall who else. The stats are something like 6 times the amount of people admitted to hospital are due to alcohol vs heart attack. The 6 or so billion dollars ontario gets in tax revenue is costing more than what our subsidized health care and now medications are costing the government. Thats just the focus on the income generated for the government, not the subsidizing of our sporting events and other things. Something I am noticing in the media (tv, movies) is actually breaking rules of AA. I see meeting's mocked up on TV often and the image of an alcoholic and its astonishing the social and financial expenses we are willing to break our moral code for. In comment about how children scorn cigarettes is REAL. I have first hand experience with it. Marking liquor with warnings will cause children who see the bottles to question their parents behaviors and very likely will avoid alcohol to the extent most of us have. Conditioning is key to this. We may not see the benefits for a decade or two, but they can be real. Marijuana articles abound now and one interesting one I recently read was I think on Vice about how marijuana users are more likely to mistrust people and be depressed. Was interesting. We are not going to realize (well we already do a bit) how making it socially acceptable is going to affect us. It may as the marijuana advocates say be a lesser evil than alcohol but that is just avoiding one issue by adding another.

Edit : Right, the other response was about how alcohol is taxed heavily in Canada. Well what I have determined on my trips to the USA is that prices fluctuate depending on region. In small town illinois, or flint michigan a 60 of vodka is about 15$ for the piss poor brand stuff. But in Chicago, prices are much higher. I assume this is to pay the higher rent and taxes. To be honest on my trips I would know where to buy the cheap liquor off the interstate to aka "import" back into Canada. Same goes with Niagara Falls, NY which is minutes drive away. Same goes for cigarettes in south illinois vs chicago. So I think its local or aka municipality or cost of operating the business that directly affects liquor costs and not the state so much. Here in Ontario of course its all standardized pricing from the northern most parts to downtown Toronto. Thats bottled, not served... the served costs vary widely at restaurants and bars.

End rant. I'll find actual stats about how much alcohol is costing society at some point. My google news daily posts articles about addiction and alcohol (thats AI for you). Daily there are new things. I just posted the Yukon one because I perceived it as a step in the right direction and a short term win for those of us that understand the ramifications of how binge drinking or daily drinking affects our lives physically, emotionally, financially and legally.

24 more. And yes many of us do come back to the forums even after lapses and admit our mistakes possibly as lessons for others. We need to show our children more than just "daddy's drunk again and mommy is yelling at him".
                            Last edited by empyr3al; January 18, 2018, 12:45 PM.
                            "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi [MENTION=23850]empyr3al[/MENTION], great to see you! Hope you check in again soon, but I understand also the concept of forums as substitute addictions. Do what feels right for you. As far as what I was trying to convey regarding the tax on marijuana issue, here is an article that is much more informative than I could ever be: https://www.forbes.com/sites/debrabo.../#40d4e45c2c3b I don't know the issues in Canada, but here in the U.S. the individual state governments definitely cash in on marijuana revenues. Couple of quotes from the article: "Many states view the cannabis industry as a vice and tax it at a high rate and the industry accepts it as a cost of doing business. It has paid off handsomely for the states that have legalized marijuana. " and “This tax revenue is very important to them. It's three times as much as alcohol tax and it has quickly become entrenched in the budget,”

So, in the U.S. the marijuana industry is a boon to state governments that have legalized it. It's about to get messy out there bc the drug has never been decriminalized at the federal level, thus setting up a clash to come between states that have legalized it and the federal government which hasn't. Interesting times, these.
                              Last edited by dill; January 18, 2018, 02:58 PM.
                              Dill

Comment

Hi all, another day nearly done but I'll still have another 24 please!

Comment

Working...
                                X