Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

35F and sunny, feels great.
    Thanks for the links, Crusader and LC! Interesting stuff.
    Thanks, again, Cowboy.
    24 more for all of us, please. Onward.

Comment

6:20am in Alberta, 24 more please and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
      [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Well, I don't need to this morning, so you can have the shovel Jude lol. That is some magic shovel, the pile never gets smaller! The storm must be moving in slower than anticipated as it's now forecast to hit us mid-afternoon today. Clear sky to the east this morning, but some ugly clouds to the west. Just have to wait and see...

I liked your quote this morning Jude, if we keep looking at our past, we'll miss everything that's happening in the here and now...

Thanks for the links [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION]. I don't always get an opportunity to read every one that is posted but I did read those. I guess I really never cared to understand why I was an alcoholic, I just knew I was and it was up to me to so something about it. Near as I can figure, the longer you stay away from anything, the easier it becomes to stay away from it. The science behind it is there for good reason, I just don't pay much attention to it. But that science might explain why the success rate of staying sober for life after 5 years of sobriety is so high. It does give us a good goal to strive for...
        Last edited by abcowboy; March 2, 2018, 09:03 AM.
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

5:56 am in Vegas,another 24 please
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thank you for the links, Crusader and LC. I followed both and always enjoy learning more about the neuroscience behind why I behaved the way I did as related to alcohol what to do about it. Even tho, as cowboy points out, it is pretty obvious what we need to do! But the science of it does fascinate me and helps me process the whole thing better.

Committed to strengthening my more positive neural pathways for yet another 24!
            Last edited by dill; March 2, 2018, 01:47 PM.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good Morning all!

I'm glad some of you liked the article. I find all this information helpful and instead of clogging up threads with more links, I left the links in its own thread. It's under Long Term Moderation/Scientific Information.

abcowboy, the biggest prompting for posting the links came to me when I read Paulyville. She was really struggling and I completely relate to the pain of loss and so many things going wrong at once. Pauly kept asking why on a number of fronts. Next, I saw dill and Quit wining post they had slipped at the same time I was being heavily tempted. For me, and reasons of noticing over time my brains inability to function as it once did, I found this information hopeful and motivating. When I read this from one of the articles, I immediately thought of us all. Every slip or relapse can bring us damage that may not be so hopefully solved. What if we develop cirrhosis or other health conditions? So, that's where I am coming from. Also, you know that stage in a child's life when they ask why about everything? I never outgrew that. lol

'As people embark on the festive season's usual round of drinking they should spare a thought for the damage they are doing to their brains. In particular, new research has revealed that while the brain is able to recover from some of the damage caused by alcohol abuse, the longer alcoholics postpone sobriety the less likely their brains may be to regenerate.'

Committed to another 24 hours. This is day 15. I've crossed the two week goal. Onto 30 days. According to this research, you need at least 30 days clean. I've already begun to work on repairing my noggin.
              The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Committing to another 24 hours.

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] - how’s your day 3? Hope it’s going well.

One month since our local groundhog predicted an early end to winter. And, today we’re in the midst of a blizzard with up to 30cms of snow. Let’s see, February was 8 degrees colder than normal with 300% more snow. Well done groundhog!

QW
                Last edited by Quit wining; March 2, 2018, 02:20 PM.
                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Thank you for the video, LifeChange. I'm going to add it to the Scientific site with credit to you. I like Nora Volkow very much. I'll watch some more of her videos.:thumbsup:

I had two strong urges today. First one was sadness and the second frustration with two separate events. All around day of irritations. I told myself repeatedly "don't drink at it. The issue will be unchanged." I'm not into trading one addiction for another, but I came home and had a cup of ice cream again. Urge gone. I will be very happy with myself tomorrow.
                  The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Well done, [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION]!

Day 3 going just fine here [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]. Done and dusted!
                    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

7am and it's looking to be a beautiful day.. cold as heck, but the sun will shine and the skies will be bright blue. Our forecast is saying we're going to shoot to 8°C this week which will feel sooo warm!

funny but on the weekends when I sign into the Café I get hungry.. anticipation of AB's breakfast!
                      no big plans today.. not even sure if I'll leave the house. Yesterday I went out to do a bit of shopping and forgot my key/phone inside the flat.. couldn't get ahold of anyone who had a key so after 3 hours at my friend's house (thank goodness she was home) and trying to break in while still feeling terrible, I gave in and payed a guy 70euros to open the door. Then I kicked myself as I watched how he did it, and in about a minute and a half! Now I know how easy it is to break in.. scary. Anyway, don't think I'll venture out again until my head is really clear!:happy2:

Wishing everyone an easy and relaxing 24 af hours..

Missing you, Wildflowers! :hug:

Comment

"Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny."

— Carl Schurz

29 degrees here in N.Y. with 12 inches of new snow on the ground. Many places to the east received more than 30 inches, so I guess that I can't complain. I must say however, that the landscape is quite stunning! A lot of birds have been migrating from the South over the past couple of weeks, and boy were they in for a surprise! Long lines at the feeders this morning; a birds version of a 4 star restaurant I guess. :happy2:

For myself and for all of those who need it, here's to another 24 hours and thanks!

Comment

5:27 am in Vegas,another 24 please
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

6:40am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                            [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] for the excellent quotes this week! When I read this morning's quote, I thought of my uncle, I'll never get to 55 years of sobriety because I just won't live that long lol, but it's the goal I have set my sail for, 55 years or die trying! I was going to ask for the shovel back, but I figure [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] needs it more than me! Bubba and I watched pictures of Calgary on the news last night, our Calgary members got hit hard by the blizzard!

We all find our sobriety in different ways [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION], like the old saying, if you want to win the battle, you need to know everything you can about your enemy. I think I was just too lazy to learn about alcoholism, so I just kept it simple...one day at a time...

We only got about 4" of snow overnight, but it's dumping down on us now. I'll probably dress warm and go out and shovel what we have now so that it doesn't get to be so tough of a job when it quits....then it will be time for this...

Does anyone else remember dipping their toast in their hot chocolate?

Comment

28F and sunny, high to be about 50 F.
                                Looking forward to a bike ride later today!
                                Red robbins bobbin' in my yard today, feels like spring.
                                24 more for all of us!

Comment

Working...
                                X