~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from right now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

I know that in the past I’ve dwelt far too much on things that happened, things I wish I had done differently and it hasn’t helped me a bit! But what I’m doing now I hope is going to help me live a brand new ending.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

QW
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Great post. QW. I want to start from right now and not dwell in the past that can’t be changed. All of our mess ups have led us here and who we are now!! Moose tracks is the best ice cream in my opinion! Freezing cold here this morning. I hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

32F and heavy overcast, damp.
        I try so much to nit think of things in the past, I can not change a thing, and it's such a waste of energy to think about how I should have done something different. I sure as hell don't want to be a bitter old man, nothing worse. So, onward.
        I guess I've never heard of Moose Tracks, because I can't move beyond our own Graeter's Ice cream here So very good!
        Preparing for a week long trip to Colorado, leave Friday.
        24 more please

Comment

5:30am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

-1C (31F) this morning, crazy weather!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
          [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good Tuesday morning all. Another good quote, QW.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

It was good to hear a little bit more about what's going on in your world, Cowboy. I too have been thinking about memories of my family as my Dad's birthday was yesterday and Mom and Dad's anniversary was 11/26. I miss them more than ever, but am happy for the memories of them. My oldest brother's birthday is later this month so he is always on my mind in December. It's a funny thing, but I can't seem to remember death dates. I still commemorate them on their birthdates.

Mr. V I love Graeter's! Haven't had it in years tho. There's a place in Cleveland that you may remember called Malley's. I used to love their mint chocolate chip. I was in Westlake last August and stopped in Malley's, Bay Village. I had a hot fudge sundae on mint choc. chip ice cream.....mmmmm…..

Thanks for another really good quote, QW. I'm grateful that we can keep on moving forward and make a better life for ourselves.

24 more please and thank you.
              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

20°F with a foot of snow on the ground. The sun is out and it's beautiful, but I think that I'll stay inside and bake cookies today!

I liked the quote QW! I too, tend to dwell on past mistakes, which of course only leads to feelings of guilt. As the saying goes, you can't drive forward while looking in the rear view mirror!

All this talk about ice cream is making me want to go out and buy a half gallon of the stuff! Guess it's better than booze though!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

They may not appreciate it now QW but now that I'm seeing college costs with my daughter and how she struggles to pay for everything your grandkids will definitely be happy in the future! Especially when one book can cost a couple hundred bucks! 6:08 am in Vegas another 24
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

A beautiful, sunny warm day which meant Jessie and I did lots of walking.

I was reminded yesterday of a situation that happened many years ago and what I learned then about problem solving is something I still use today. I’ve even used it in dealing with al.

A quick background. 43 years ago I had been transferred by my employer and after several months of a long commute to my new job, we finally sold our house. A few days before the deal was to close, one of the purchasers died and the spouse refused to close the deal. We had moved to a new house. Through no fault of ours, we ended up with two houses and my take home pay was about $50 more than the carrying costs on both houses.
                    Mrs QW was 6 months pregnant at the time.
                    It took over 6 months to finally arrange a sale. We went through all of our savings over the next 6 months and I was going to have to take a cash advance on a credit card to buy groceries. We made it. One of my proudest moments was when I gave back to my Dad a signed, blank cheque he had given me in case of emergency.

During one of my many sleepless nights it came to me. What’s the worst thing that could happen? The bank was going to take a house I wasn’t living in. What was the 2nd worst thing that could happen? Neither of the many scenarios I envisioned happened but I was prepared for most eventualities.

I have used this process many times over the years, including my most recent attempt to quit alcohol. I asked myself, what’s the worst thing that could happen if I don’t quit alcohol? A nasty, premature death was the first thing that came to mind. What’s the second worst thing? I wouldn’t be there for Mrs QW. The next worst thing? I wouldn’t see the grandkids grow up. And so on.
                    About 9 months ago I quit. It hasn’t been easy at times but by using this thought process, it’s kept me focused on what’s really important. And it ain’t al!

Hope everyone has/had a great af Tuesday!

QW
                    Last edited by Quit wining; December 3, 2019, 06:37 PM.

24/7/365

Comment

Courage isn’t having the strength to go on - it is going on when you don’t have strength Napoleon Bonaparte

How many of us have relapsed at that moment when our strength is at its lowest? Leaning on our MWO friends for support when we need it is a good place to start.

Stay strong everyone!

QW
                      Last edited by Quit wining; December 3, 2019, 09:27 PM.

24/7/365

Comment

Good morning. Great quote and story QW. You certainly do have a lot of strength to push thru bad times and come out on the other side. That must have been such a scary time for you and your wife. Thanks for sharing that story. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

5:20am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

-4C (25F) this morning with lots of snow in the forecast for the next few days.

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                          [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

33F and sunny.
                            I've used the same thought process as you, QW. What's the worst that can happen? It does help put things in perspective.
                            24 hours of courage for us all.

Comment

5:28 am in Vegas another 24, slept terribly for some reason,oh well it's not the first or the last time I guess,I'll survive
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks for sharing that story as an example of your strategy, QW. What a scary thing to go through! And it sure does apply to our drinking: what’s the worst thing that can happen if we continue to drink? -pretty bad things, actually!

I see what you’re saying about not remembering death dates, Dill; as I blew past my MIL’s death date in October without noticing it (she died two years ago), but we did remember her birthday in November with a commemorative dinner.

Sorry it’s a tough time of year for you, Cowboy. My mom was not happy that my daughter didn’t join us for Thanksgiving again this year, but her husband’s mother died at Thanksgiving time, so D2 tries to be sensitive to his needs at (USA) Thanksgiving time.

I hit 500 days AF today! Going for another day today.
                                Last edited by Slo; December 4, 2019, 08:41 AM.
                                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                                X