No announcement yet.

~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5:50am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

Warmed up yesterday, only -11C (13F) but windy, so it'll feel much colder!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
    [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”
      – Dale Carnegie
      [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]....I'm sorry that you are feeling low right now. I know first hand all about "the dark place" that depression can lead to. I agree with [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] that it's probably your upcoming surgery, Christmas and the full moon that's got you in a funk. Hope that you feel better soon. :huggies:

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

5:52 am in Vegas another 24
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Slo, hope you find some joy today. Feeling blue sucks. I know from experience. But, it will get better!

Rava, 20 dozen cookies! And the pictures are where???

We’re meeting Mrs QW’s brother and wife for lunch in Calgary today. At one time, he and I were drinking buddies but neither of us drinks now.

Nice to see some warmer temps this morning, close to 0. Jessie and I darn near froze on our walk yesterday when the windchill was -20C.

Have a great af Monday everyone.

QW
          AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
          F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Slo, I hope this passes for you soon. Hang in there!

I'll take another 24, please and thank you.

Comment

Good quote for today Jude! Keeping busy can help fight the blues. I can completely understand your low mood Slo. The upcoming surgery and recovery time is likely the biggest factor. Get some good audio books to help pass the time, as well as some movies. I sure do wish you well and hope you can feel brighter soon.

Rava, I highly recommend finding a volunteer opportunity. You'd be surprised how just one activity outside the home can serve as an anchor. I truly enjoy my morning at the coffee shop and the regulars there are so appreciative of the volunteers for providing it. They never cease to express their appreciation. Local food pantries are always in need. We have a local company that trains service dogs and they take volunteers to spend time socializing the animals. I've not done that, but it sounds rewarding. Look around and see if you can find something that suits you. Then again, lots of people prefer not to get tied down to a commitment once they are retired. You'll find what best suits you over the next little while.

QW, that reminds me. Have your skills been put to use yet?

24 more please and thank you.
              Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Dill, I like your comments about volunteering and your suggestion to Rava that she give it some thought.

I love my volunteer work and have been an active volunteer for about 30 years. In the past I’ve been a community producer for a local TV station, Rotarian, Justice of the Peace, Junior Achievement facilitator, Chamber of Commerce director and chair of a local support group which provided much needed community support (everything from Life Line for seniors to a women’s shelter).

Currently I’m involved with two Parkinson’s groups (one federal the other provincial), our local youth justice committee and recently I became a mentor for an organization that helps former military members transition into entrepreneurship. I don’t expect to be called on for mentor assistance until spring.

One caution though. Volunteers are in short supply and it’s easy to get too busy! It was a buddy of mine at the TV station who taught me to say no. He told me I was a valuable member of his crew but volunteering for him was well down my list of priorities, after family, work and hobbies. He told me to never feel bad about saying no. I’ve never forgotten that lesson!

For any Cafe members considering donating time in your community, I highly recommend it. Knowing you make a difference in the lives of others is a special feeling.

QW
                Last edited by Quit wining; December 9, 2019, 11:03 PM.

24/7/365

Comment

I always drank, from when it was legal for me to drink. And there was never a time for me when the goal wasn't to get as hammered as I could possibly afford to. I never understood social drinking, that's always seemed to me like kissing your sister.

Stephen King

I think that when I retire, I'd like to volunteer with the SPCA. Only problem though....I'd probably take everything home!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Good morning Cafe! Thanks for the suggestions about volunteer work. I have already filled out an application to volunteer at a local hospice thrift shop when I get to Florida. I have not heard back from them so I will be e mailing them soon. I definitely have to volunteer. I Have lots of options so when I get there in 3 weeks I will be looking into them. Thanks again for the suggestions. Staying busy for me is the key to happiness and best path to stay sober. So far I am glad I retired but miss my coworkers but not the job. I hope to find a whole new group of friends in retirement. Hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thank you!!

Comment

5:50am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

Another -23C (-10F) morning...brrrr...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                      [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I can see where it would be very hard for you to suddenly be yanked out of the daily camaraderie with your coworker friends, Rava; and especially after such a long time together.
                        20 dozen is a lot of Christmas cookies! That kept you busy! Were you working together with others I hope -or just you & the toddler?!

I have just been so very, very tired, and emotionally fragile. I can see that I’m just going through a rough detox cycle of retinol-dumping with my vitamin A overload problem though. It turns out that it uses the same detox pathway that ethanol alcohol withdrawal uses; the dehydrogenase system, and so causes the same symptoms that going off booze causes! I’m worn out from it, and ready for the full moon to be over, since my detox cycles definitely seem to sync to the moon cycle.

Loved the quote from Stephen King. We’re in good company! 24 more hours AF please.
                        Last edited by Slo; December 10, 2019, 08:42 AM.
                        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

5:54 am in Vegas another 24

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Slo,did your doctor diagnose you with vitamin A overload? I've never heard of it,I'm interested X-post Ginger hope all is well

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Jude, I had no idea Stephen King is an alcoholic. Thanks for the quote.

Like you Rava, I miss the people I worked with but not the job. Nine years after retiring, I still keep in touch with two ladies I had the pleasure of working with.

Had a great visit with b-i-l and wife yesterday and there was no mention of any alcoholic beverages at lunch.

I plan to finish Xmas shopping today so best be getting to it!

Have a great af Tuesday everyone.

QW

24/7/365

Comment

Working...
                                X