Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Land line. What's that? LOL

I think downsizing is awesome. I love the smaller space and fewer belongings that we never used.

Jude, good luck readjusting to work. You'll get right back in the groove in no time.

Rava, you drove straight through! Ugh. That's a rough one. We did a couple 27 hour drives a few years and we were done!

Headed to brunch then hitting the road. Taking four days and visiting hub' s family along the way.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Yes, I have been getting very confused about what day and date it is, and whether it’s a weekend or weekday! I’m stopping the strong pain pills today, so maybe that will help me get more oriented to time! Probably not though, with New Years Eve & Day coming up.

I used to be able to help drive through the night on long trips when I was young, but anymore I’m useless with that.

Jude, I think it was smart of you to use your enforced time off of work to tackle your smoking addiction too, if you wanted to quit smoking. So this last half of 2019 has been a tough time of change and suffering for you. I hope 2020 will feel like a fresh start for you, as you go back to work on the the first day of it somewhat refreshed & renewed!

Requesting 24 hours alcohol-free, and opioid-free!
      Last edited by Slo; December 28, 2019, 11:42 AM.
      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Sorry I brought that up again about visiting hb’s aunts & their families. I was just pleased to have the support of my adult daughters this time, so was reporting a potential resolution. But since I brought it up again, I will try to explain it better:

It’s just a chronic problem in our marriage where we couldn’t visit his maternal relatives on the west coast even though they’d beg us to, and we couldn’t visit his paternal relation on the east coast even though they beg us to; he grudgingly attended my couple of family reunions in the past, with the stipulation that we leave early because he didn’t want to be with “those people”; refused to take the kids to visit my grandparents regularly when they were alive (and they lived well into their 90s, and with all their marbles intact), which they were very hurt by; wouldn’t go visit my dad either, or my mom, etc.etc.

And I thought that was part of what raising kids was about; connecting them in with their wider family, so they get to know their relatives and have those connections? So I thought we would do these things on weekends (not every weekend -I had to work every other weekend) and for vacations. But he would get so angry and put me in my place if I suggested these things.

At least his California cousins started having family reunions every 5 years, so, thanks only to those, my kids know their people on that side. We weren’t allowed to visit them in between, and the Wisconsin ones (hb’s cousins, etc.) didn’t see one another in between reunions like the California ones do, even though we live very locally to them!

And this all comes up every Christmas when his relatives & friends who send cards wonder why we haven’t seen them over the year, and I have to field these because I’m the one who sends the Christmas cards. And I don’t know why we can’t visit anybody!

So, it’s about me trying to find my voice post-alcoholism, when I can’t just blunt everything anymore.
        And finding my voice & strength now that most of the kids don’t live here anymore, so there’s no longer a lot of people here to side with him against me.
        I sound just like my MIL did in her fifties: “I’m getting stronger.” “I’m not going to be pushed around any longer.” Yes -the generational problems that I alluded to in my Christmas Day quote, that have to stop NOW, in this generation!

So anywho, I am trying to extricate myself from being complicit in this, and to rectify things. I don’t want to be this person anymore (stand-off-ish), even though I have terrible social anxiety.

Thank you for listening. It was helpful to process this. And now I will let it go.
        Last edited by Slo; December 28, 2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Another 24 please. 3:10 in Calgary.

SLO, that sounds like a terrible situation. Why doesn’t your hubby like any of the family? Can you talk to him about it?
          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good Sunday morning. Getting settled in and finding my groove. Thanks for all the comments. So glad to be here. My daughter and SIL are coming for a day visit today. So it’s their first time seeing the place. Hope everyone has a wonderful and AF day. Another 24 for me please and thanks.

Comment

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]....I am so sorry that you are going through this right now. It's hard enough to stay sober, but when you are stress and drama, it just makes it more difficult. :hug:

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

“Self-love is not selfish. It is generous, creating an overflow of love that spills out around you, touching family, friends, and strangers. Loving yourself gives you more love to share.”
                - Troy L. Love

5:30am in Alberta, 24 for me and everyone else who needs them please, and thanks...

-8C (18F) this morning warming up to just above freezing today!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Got breakfast out a little earlier today, enjoy!

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

6:13 am in Vegas another 24
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Had a nice visit over lunch with our Calgary family yesterday and will see them again today - bonus!

Thanks for brekkie Cowboy. Looks awesome.

Have a great af Sunday everyone!

QW
                      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Quick fly by. Made it to hub's SIL's. ABC, that is such a true quote.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Thanks for the thought today about self love, Cowboy. It is so true. If you don't love yourself, you can't truly love others. Thanks also for the breakfast! You sure take good care of us all.

It's a dreary, rainy day here in Ohio. I am not complaining tho as temps are currently above normal and I'll take that over snow and ice any day!

We head to New Orleans this week to visit our daughter and grandson so I may not be able to start quote duty on Sunday as a result. I should be able to assume my duties on Monday tho.

24 more please and thank you.
                          Last edited by dill; December 29, 2019, 11:16 AM.
                          Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

The holidays are the time for plugged sink drains and garbage disposals, aren’t they Cowboy?! The time when people shove all those potato peels down the drain at once.

I enjoyed the warm weather today too, Dill, before ice likely returns tomorrow, by getting outside for a first little post-surgical walk!

It’s lovely to hear of everyone’s travel plans visiting with family during this holiday week.

We had a little family over for a steak dinner last night. I got to play a game again! HB always shuts that down, because he doesn’t like to play games, and then the girls side with him. So I pulled D2 aside and explained that her aunt’s neurologist & social worker have directed the family to play games and do puzzles with her. All very true, and I knew D2 would especially understand this, being an O.T. herself. So they agreed to play (not HB; he derided it), and we found a perfect game that SIL-with-dementia could play, with some cueing, that challenged her brain without overwhelming it! (Uno!) So D2 will be on board now, at least when her aunt’s around, and D1 is on board now because her husband & his family love to play games. And I think it’s good for young daughter to play games with family while she has been growing up. So I’m getting things more the way I want them, and finding substitutes for just drinking with people.

I tried more de-alcoholized wine while they drank their wine, but that stuff is actually pretty nasty tasting! Maybe I’ll try a concentrated cranberry juice mixed with some other things next time I want facsimile wine.

24 more hours please on this last Sunday of 2019.
                            Last edited by Slo; December 29, 2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Another 24 please, 3:31 in Calgary
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

6:15 in NY with mild temps and heavy rain expected. Yuck!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X