~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Thanks for yesterdays breakfast Cowboy. I love eggs Benedict. Hope everyone has a great Monday. Another 24 for me please and thank you!

Comment

Windy as all get out here this morning! Mr. D has a hearing aid appointment this morning that is a bit of a distance to drive. I'm going to ride along bc there is a new store over near their office that I would like to explore. We'll be feeling the wind on our journey, I'm sure.

Slo, two things stood out to me in reading your post about playing Uno with your family. One is that you had one thing on your side and that is 'love'. You were acting in love. And the second is that that 'love' moved you to communicate effectively. You explained to your daughter the motives and reasons for your desire to play a game and she understood and also acting in love, overcame the obstacle of the chaos of your hb's issues. Love conquered and that was a battle won. Well done!!! It makes total sense that you would play a game as a way to engage and include your SIL and that your daughter as an OT would get it. I love that story. Playing games is such a good way to connect with people which sounds like something your hb tries mightily to avoid. Maybe this trend will continue and his daughters will be able to draw him in sometime in the future. It sounds like he needs the therapeutic nature of it as much as SIL does, tho for different reasons. I think [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]'s quote yesterday put the thoughts in my head about love and framed your story for me.

I have been enjoying hearing of all the ways everyone is connecting with family this holiday and appreciate all the sharing. Thanks everyone.

Jude, I hope getting back to work goes well for you. It will be a shock to your system at first, no doubt.

24 more please and thank you.
      Last edited by dill; December 30, 2019, 07:52 AM.
      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

"I realize that the good, the bad and the downright ugly events are all a part of who I've become."
        - Vex King

5:45am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks...

-15C (5F) this morning with a full day of work ahead of me!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
        [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good to hear your trip is going smoothly [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION]! One leg down, one to go...

When I read your post I had to smile [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], we played Uno Christmas Eve! It's become a Christmas tradition for us. For those of you who saw my FB post, we had just sat down for our meal and when the meal was over, we watched a Christmas movie, then the Uno cards came out. It's a Christmas Eve thing we started even before I got sober, but there is more to it than that...

I used to hate playing cards because I hated to lose, at anything! Less than perfect wasn't good enough! And the more I drank as the evening went on, the angrier I got. It was the booze, but the kids couldn't get the game over fast enough. And some years I even quit the game early and let the kids continue playing without me. Some Christmas Eve that was for them! But I've changed since getting sober, and they've changed as well. No matter how the game is going, we all laugh, joke, and kid each other as we play! That's what Christmas Eve is supposed to be all about, sharing our love for each other.

And like today's quote reminds me, all those past Christmas Eve's can't be changed, but they are a part of me and helped to teach me that I can become a better husband, father, and friend...
          Last edited by abcowboy; December 30, 2019, 08:07 AM.
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hitting the road. Check in later! I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

6:07 am in Vegas another 24
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

I’m taking my son to the airport this afternoon for his flight home to Melbourne. We’ve had a great visit, his niece and nephew are going to miss him terribly! Back to our weekly Skype visits starting Saturday evening here, Sunday morning there.

I was worried that I hadn’t heard from my sister since before Xmas. Several texts and phone messages had gone unanswered until we finally connected last evening. Turns out she had the holiday from hell thanks to her partners visiting son who chose to get and stay drunk for the holidays. Fortunately he left a day earlier than planned. This will be the last invitation he gets until he gets the help he needs. She’s going back to work today for a rest! Christmas is her favourite time of year and she works hard to make sure everything is perfect for everyone.

Have a great af Monday everyone!

QW
                Last edited by Quit wining; December 30, 2019, 10:49 PM.
                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Merry NewYear’s Eve eve! It’s gray but not windy here.

I so appreciate your wise & perceptive comments, Dill. A friend said to me this year, “Does Mr. Slo have social anxiety?” It was such a revelation -I had never thought that! And now you are the second one to recognize that, underneath all the bluster & bravado, anger & arrogance —this guy has his own issues!! It makes me feel more compassionate, while still wanting to stay guarded and keep standing up for myself.

I really liked Cowboy’s quote yesterday too -a necessary paradigm shift away from old dogma that preached self-denial and self-sacrifice.

That’s a funny coincidence that it was the same card game, ABC! You have such nice Christmas traditions with your family. And you’re right: those past Christmas games that got ruined by perfectionism and alcohol no longer matter at all in light of the fun times you have together now, and they helped point you in the direction of who you are today.

Interesting story about how that guest ruined your sister’s Christmas, QW. It makes me want to stay sober!

Asking for an easy 24 more booze-free hours. Leftover apple pie and Christmas cookies have substituted in just fine for today!
                  Last edited by Slo; December 30, 2019, 04:31 PM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Great quote yesterday [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]! None of us are perfect, and there is a little of the good, the bad, and the ugly within all of us. Alcohol can definitely being out the bad, but at least in my case, ditching the booze had made me a better person.

New Year's eve.....a quiet night at home for me. Used to be I would go out and celebrate, but I was usually drunk and passed out by midnight. I would wake up feeling like death and vow to start the new year sober. It took years for me to attain sobriety, an accomplishment that I will never regret! Be safe out there if you are driving tonight and watch out for the other guy, and I'll see you folks in the morning!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Coffee shop today! I'm all set up and have a quiet moment to post.

QW, interesting story about your sister's Christmas. I'm glad she is ok, but it's a shame about her step son's behavior. She has made up her mind that he is persona non grata until he gets a grip but that made me wonder if she or her partner let him know that. It would be an act of kindness to give him the feedback, if they can catch him in a sober moment. Did her partner feel the same way as she did?

I did not play Uno on Christmas Eve, but it is a favorite at our house too! I had never played it until just last spring. Our grandson asked if we could play it so he could learn the game. He said they played it as school during free time and he wanted to join in but was afraid they would mock him because he didn't know the rules of play. You know what it was like to be 14, I'm sure! Anyway, we got the game and played it that very night and we all had a great time! We helped him feel more confident to play at school and we had fun to boot! We've played it many times since and there isn't a game that doesn't bring smiles and laughter as we tease and trick each other, form alliances and team up together, etc. It's a good game for all ages as the 8 yo joins in and loves it too. She always wants to beat Pop Pop!

Jude, you could have been sitting next to me on those New Year's Eves, matching me drink for drink if we had been at the same parties. So sad to wake up that next morning, the first day of a brand new year, with a massive hangover.

I sure hope Mr. V returns. I miss him!
                      24 more please and thank you.
                      Last edited by dill; December 31, 2019, 07:14 AM.
                      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

“Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.”
                        - Hal Borland

5:40am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

-10C (13F) this morning with a bit of wind blowing...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                        [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Going to be a quiet New Year's Eve and day for me as well. I'll finish up that job I started yesterday, clean up, and head for Vegreville. Bubba and I are going out for supper at Boston Pizza, then spend the rest of the evening with Hank! I'll stay over for New Year's day, then come back home on Thursday. Get to spend 2 nights with my loved ones!!

Comment

5:46 am in Vegas another 24
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning. I slipped up last night. So ashamed and embarrassed over my loss of control. I have dusted myself off and threw out the wine. Joining a gym here and going to start doing something constructive. I am not sliding back. Had a heart to heart with my husband and he finally understands that I cant just drink one like he can. My angry and aggressive behavior last night showed him clearly that I cant handle drinking. He finally understands. I just cant drink and think no one notices. I have been sober for too long now and know that sobriety is important to me. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Hugs, Rava.

Hitting the road. One more long day.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X