No announcement yet.

~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5:25am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
    [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Rava, I really liked your comment about 'g! getting off the hamster wheel'. Great description!

Jude, have you come to a decision about your horse? I've been wondering about that.

QW, thanks for another good quote. I like the reminder that we should not compare ourselves to others. I think it's easy to get into that trap and it gets you nowhere.

It's another gorgeous day here and a good one to be af! 24 more please and thank you.
      Last edited by dill; June 16, 2020, 06:28 AM.
      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:38 am in Vegas another 24
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Yep! One day at a time! QW, good reminder.

Had a social distance birthday party for my sister who turned 60 yesterday. There was only 5 of us. Was so good to see them. We are still the hotspot in WA state. 😵

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Rava, what kind of dog do you have? Jessie is long overdue for a grooming but I expect our groomer is booked until September.

I was thinking about something I read a while ago attributed to George Carlin that went something like this: Parents, just don’t teach your children to read. Teach them to question everything they read.
            My Dad used to say that we should believe about half of what we read and half of what we hear. Very true.
            And being a capital C curmudgeon, I always say if you want to know what’s going on in a situation, follow the money trail. For example, I wonder who and how much they made by profiting off of supposed miracle cures for Covid-19.

Rava, I too love the hamster wheel analogy as it relates to drinking. Funny that 4 o’clock was time for the first glass of wine, not for enjoyment, but out of habit.

Off to the nursery to buy a few shrubs. I laughed at our neighbour who planted two shrubs by their deck that are supposed to grow to 4 meters. She had no idea that’s over 13 feet!

Have a great af Tuesday everyone, stay safe & well.

QW
            Last edited by Quit wining; June 16, 2020, 09:13 AM.
            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Another 24 please, 3:02 in yyc.

QW, that is funny about your neighbour's shrubs. 4 Meters is pretty high!

Have a good one everybody.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

It’s nothing personal. I’m just out of sync with this thread since my brother died, and can’t seem to fit back into it.
                Drama is on my mind -like that dead bro was starting to drink a lot, I found out by going through his place; and twin sis spiraled out of control even more with her drinking when he died, and little bro is obviously still drinking very alcoholically, I noticed when we cleaned out dead bro’s place.
                And same-age cousin goes to one rehab after another and can’t get sober, and is on the brink of losing her teenaged daughter & probably her job; and long-lost cousin says she has trouble stopping drinking once she starts. And who knew that young uncle was alcoholic--and he made it out!! And Grandpa supposedly was alcoholic, they say...yet he retained the ability to drink socially some after he “quit”? Oldest uncle guzzles booze like a fish for decades on end, but never gets “alcoholic”...and interesting how all the “favorites” in the family are all doing fine, but all the rejected ones are struggling with addictions & such!!

Those are the type of things that are on my mind, that I feel like discussing -too heavy for a check-in thread.

But I’ll check in every once in awhile! Thanks for your friendship. 24 more please.
                Last edited by Slo; June 16, 2020, 05:48 PM.
                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

You have a lot going through your mind [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], but this is the place to unload if you need to! Try and deal with one thing at a time, if it takes a few years, so what?? The rest of it you can’t control anyway, just be there if anyone needs you.

Good quote today (and the other days as well) [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]! That pretty much sums up my philosophy on life right now, try to be a better person today than I was yesterday. It’s harder than it sounds though. Lots of times it seems that it’s a one step forward, two step back kind of day, and I find myself slipping into old bad habits, frustration, anger, resentment. Those days it’s time to stop and look at the things that I need to be grateful for. And some things, no matter how hard we try, will just be what they are. Then it’s time to just let it go, deal with what you can, and let the rest fall by the wayside. Some problems seem to have a way of solving themselves after a bit of time and thought…worrying won't solve them any quicker...
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

The only thing wrong with trying to please everyone is that there’s always at least one person who will remain unhappy. You.

I know many times I overcompensated for stupid things that I did under the influence by trying to “make it up” to lots of people. Some I was able to fool but never myself.

QW
                    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Such a true quote QW! I stopped trying to please everyone a long time ago, and I'm much happier for it!
                      [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] It's with great sadness that I've made a decision to sell Homer. Unfortunately, he's come up lame. Not good. I have the vet coming out on Friday so we shall see....
                      [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]...you've had a very tough time lately, but don't feel as though you have to stay away from the cafe. We are all good listener's here, and I think that it's very beneficial for you to post here. Have you thought about getting some counseling to help you with this hell that you are experiencing now? Just a thought. You are stronger than you realize, but sometimes we all need a shoulder to cry on.

24 more please and thank you!

Comment

Such a true quote QW! I stopped trying to please everyone a long time ago, and I'm much happier for it!

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] It's with great sadness that I've made a decision to sell Homer. Unfortunately, he's come up lame. Not good. I have the vet coming out on Friday so we shall see....

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]...you've had a very tough time lately, but don't feel as though you have to stay away from the cafe. We are all good listener's here, and I think that it's very beneficial for you to post here. Have you thought about getting some counseling to help you with this hell that you are experiencing now? Just a thought. You are stronger than you realize, but sometimes we all need a shoulder to cry on.

24 more please and thank you!

Comment

Its a rainy Wednesday. Low 60s again. More like fall weather. @QW my dog is a crazy Maltese. He is very spoiled and loves people but hates the groomer and all other dogs. We socialized him until he started biting and acting aggressively towards other dogs. Now we just keep him away and really don’t take him out since he doesn't play well with others! [MENTION=1075]jude[/MENTION] I’m sorry you have to sell Homer. I’m sure that is weighing on your heart. [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] if you see this post, just know you are always welcome to bring your issues here. That’s what we are here for. Ironically yesterday I had a huge craving and really wanted to get a bottle of wine. I have NO alcohol in the house. Luckily the craving passed and I did NOT go. I don’t know where that came from. Kind of blindsided me. Good quote today @QW people pleasing is exhausting and in the long run, does it really matter if someone likes us or not? Hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

5:45am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                            [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Well, in my business life I have to make people happy [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION], or else I wouldn't have a business lol. But in my personal life, that's a different story! When I was a drunk, the only person that mattered was me! My first few years of sobriety I was always trying to make others happy, no matter how it made me feel, trying to make up for all the things drunk Bruce said or did. Now I've come to learn that most times I put myself first, not in the same way I did when I was drinking, but realizing that if I'm not happy, how can those around me be happy? And if making myself happy displeases others, I guess that's something they have to deal with...

Tough decision [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], but I'm sure in time you'll realize it was the right one...

Comment

[MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], it sure sounds like you have a lot to ponder. It must make you so very sad to discover the depth of your brother's drinking problem and it sounds as if it has opened a window for you that is helping you see the larger problem that seems to be affecting your whole family in one way or another: alcohol. I am so happy that you have pulled yourself out of the ditch and I hope and pray you stay out of it and can be a shining light of hope to your sister one day. I feel like I sensed some resentment in your post toward others in the family and I hope for your sake that you can let that go. What's that saying about resentment? ….."Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."
                                - Saint Augustine

[MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], I'm sure you have thought it thru and have made the right decision for yourself. But it sure doesn't make it easy.

Gorgeous day here! Wish I could send some of it it your way, [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION].

24 more please and thank you.
                                Last edited by dill; June 17, 2020, 07:18 AM.
                                Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X