Emotional flatness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotional flatness

I have been researching PAWS and don't know if this is what I am experiencing and would like some opinions of others. I'm 7 1/2 months sober and been quite bothered by how flat and indifferent I have been to sad things that used to bother me or have me in tears. Is almost like iam just numb. Sad situations are not triggering the heart felt emotion I used to have. I do feel some empathy but it's not the same. My mood is also very up and down. One day I don't wanna be bothered, jus want to keep to myself and wallow in self pity, the next day I am so energetic, smiling and just want to chat up every one I see. I noticed that the mood thing is closely related to how much and well I sleep. In the beginning of my quit, I had extreme anxieties and intense nervousness...iam talking about I developed phobias...I am so happy that I am steadily getting past that. I'm just worried about my emotional flatness...I don't want to be stuck like this. Will this pass?
    Last edited by lizker; January 24, 2016, 09:49 PM.
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Yes Liz, this is paws.

My second year sober was very hard, I felt so flat a lot of the time and couldn't be bothered with things that used to be important. It was a hard time but it passed.

Make sure you eat and sleep well. Be kind to yourself, maybe book yourself a massage every week to ensure you feel your body regularly. Walk and see nature, sit at peace whenever you can.

Also avoid stress if you can, any extremes of emotion will be hard for a while..go with the flow

Comment

I'm up,down,around and round,just relish the great days and know on the crappy ones that tomorrow will be better
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks for that Kuya. Great to know that it will pass. The stress and extreme emotions are what I have been learning to deal with. Its like when a certain negative emotion sets in, it's like a vice grip that you can't shake off for the whole day. You don't want to dwell on it but it won't go away. Meditation does help alot. Pauly, great point there, the next day is always better... Will keep taking this day by day.
        Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

I think paws gets under played because we don't want to frighten people off quitting. It isn't terrible...just flat and as long as you know there is light the other side it is more than bearable.

I got in a state because it hit me so late I think. I couldn't be bothered doing anything, housework, showering, washing all felt like too much and my self care was lower than when I was drinking. But coming out the other side was brilliant and I found a new normal that is far more balanced than I have ever been in my entire life.

Because yours has started earlier you can assume it will be over earlier too...which is good.

Comment

Working...
          X