Paulysville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paulysville

Pauly, i am sorry to hear what you are going through. The pain and the heartache are unbearable some days.

I lost my brother through al over ten years ago and i was on the verge of being an alcoholic then, still had a bit of control but not much. The anger i felt was awful. I was very close to my brother growing up, it was him and i against the world really and then he got with the wrong people and went his own way in his teen years. we still kept in contact spasmodically and he then came back into my life in his mid 20's. he was a drunk and angry but we still had that brother and sister bond. al slowly took over his life and other drugs but al mainly. he was turning out to be not a nice person, angry, abusive and always known as Andrew the drunk. I tried to help him and i still think i could have done more, the guilt is still there. the children still remember him as "uncle andrew the alcoholic", that is all they saw as children. But to me he was my brother, the only one i had and i lost him to drugs. I always thought to myself that i would never be as bad as he was, that i could handle al and not end up like him but at the end of my drinking career i was just as bad as him drinking daily. It didnt bring him back which is what i wanted so much, i didnt like Andrew the drunk but hell i would have any Andrew to having him not at all.

I didnt really grieve Andrew until i was sober. No one talked about him and i surely didnt as i felt angry and also guilt and shame that i was turning out just like him. Why could i have not done something more, why did he not chose to stop drinking, why did he leave me when he was all i had (more so growing up), why did al take the one person who got what we had been through as children. Now i have grieved sober, now i know why Andrew drank and why he could not or did not stop drinking, his pain was too much to bear in life and he just could not stop. Now i have been through it, i get it finally.

Each and every time i talk about my brother i cry, i miss him still. I miss the man that al took from me all those years ago so I grieved sober as he deserved, i had too to move on, the pain inside hurt and i wanted it out to move on. Now i know that Andrew is looking at me with a smile on his face, saying to me "you've got this sis". His favourite saying to me as children growing up.

Al took and took and took and won, you dont need al Pauly to deal with grief (says i who got the medal for it). When i drank after he died i was so god damn angry then sad and hurt and every time i drank i repeated the same story. When i stopped drinking i put Andrew away in my head for awhile to be dealt with later so it took me until my 2nd year of sobriety to grieve properly for him and look at his life logically to understand the why's of his addiction and understand and really "get it".

Take care of yourself Pauly, there are a lot of people who love you and a lot better ways to deal than drinking as we know but i get how you feel and i get it now. I just miss him.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks Ava:hug:I'm so sorry for both of us losing our brothers in such shit ways,all we can do is keep them in our hearts I guess,still sucks though
      Last edited by paulywogg; September 1, 2017, 06:02 PM.
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Available - what a beautiful and honest post! I love reading how strong you have become during this journey.

Pauly - I wish I could offer something that would help but I can only give you hugs and send loving thoughts and prayers. :hug: :heartbeat:
        Last edited by Glass Half Empty; September 1, 2017, 07:59 PM.
        There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
        You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Thinking of you, Pauly xoxo
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Hi Pauly my heart goes out to you. Sending you strength your way.
            Like available said I was the same I never grief for my brother in my second year of sobriety my brothere passed away at the age of 32 after suffering from chronic depression from the age of 21. Then cancer at the end. (We grow up in a abusive dysfunctional family. ) I used to think I saw him walking on the other side of the road. I was thinking I was going mad.
            I hope that you get some counselling it will help you share your emotionals on how you are feeling with your pain. There are five stages of grief and they do not go in order , 1 deniel & isolation, 2 anger, 3 bargaining, 4 depression and 5 acceptance. but I believe myself acceptance is the last one , when I lost my brother i was still drinking and I was stuck in the anger, and resentment for years. Alcohol will take everything away from us, emotional, physical and spiritual, and everything we have worked for.
            The other day I bump into my other brother who is a alcoholic it made me sad to see him in his own little bubble. Plus he look ill, I wish he got it like I did, but there is no way I can stop him from drinking, he must WANT it, i can't give it to him, it a shame I wish I could. Sometimes I think why me and not him. I know I have to keep working at this by going to meetings coming on here. I keep it in the 24hour a day helps me a lot.
            You will be in my thoughts and prayers ♡
            Last edited by catch22; September 2, 2017, 01:19 PM.
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Need to update but don't know what to say..my dad and brother left for SLC this morning,my dad's getting surgery for his prostate cancer, I just hope and pray everything goes ok,I'm scared,I'm nervous, etc I dunno what I'll do if something bad happens gotta keep a positive head on I guess,it's hard though,one of my regular customers had a son diagnosed with liver cancer 4 months ago and she and her hubs came in today and she told me he passed Aug 29 I felt so awful for them,I've never met her son but the sadness I felt was for these two wonderful people losing their son,ugh,she told me "life sucks" and I agreed,it does sometimes, things aren't fair,God seems mean sometimes like he laughs at our heartaches,I don't really mean that just exhausted and my mind is just sorting stuff out,anyways I gave her a hug and I couldn't let go for a bit cuz I didn't want her to see my tears, I had to go in the back and take some breaths before I took another haircut, looked in the mirror and I've never seen my eyes so red,ho hum,just rambling I guess.
              Last edited by paulywogg; September 12, 2017, 09:00 PM.

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey Pauly, all the best for your dad's surgery. Sounds like you showed real empathy to your customers tragic loss of her son - never easy when you are going through your struggles. Keep strong. :hug:

Comment

Pauly, I know these events are stressful & something we all face at one time or another.
                  There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing someone care, concern & sympathy when they lose a child.

I hope your Dad's surgery went well & he recovers quickly.

Will keep you & your family in my thoughts tonight :hug:

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I love you friend
                    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Pauly - thinking about you and your dad. I hope all goes well. You are a strong woman.

xo

Comment

Thinking of you Pauly, i hope it all goes well with the surgery for your dad. x
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks everyone, talked to dad last night and he sounded really good! Surgery went smooth

Comment

So glad to hear the surgery went well, Pauly! You have had such a rough year! Thinking of you today.:hug:

Comment

Good to hear about your dad, Pauly. Continued strength to you.

Comment

Totally flopped! I knew I was having"thoughts" a few days ago and I indeed popped an emergency antabuse (1/4 tablet) thank God it was expired and such a low dose cuz I chose to drink in it! Nothing happened, maybe a bit more tired than usual,I'm sad,I'm tired of being sad I'm tired of worrying about other people and loving too goddamn hard! Big shake up at work,everyone's planning on quitting, not everyone but four girls! Dunno how its gonna effect business with basically a whole new staff,I'm not sure if that shook me,relief over dad's surgery going ok,stress over Michelle and her creepy boyfriend, grief still over Jon,anger over Jon,maybe I need some counseling to come to grips with it,obviously I'm dwelling on his death but it's hard not to dwell when he's in my dreams,thoughts,prayers every single day, I just feel like "get over it!" Hubs is extremely pissed at me,he wasn't at first,said the same old"don't get crazy with it" he knows I always get crazy with it! I can't control it...I'm so embarrassed to be posting this but I hafta be honest,,I told Kell that my drinking makes me feel unworthy of love,I don't deserve it but it's weird cuz my mom's an alcoholic and I love her just as much as if she weren't! I don't want to be a drinker anymore, I just dont know how to finally close the door

Comment

Working...
                                X