July Army Manoeuvres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: July Army Manoeuvres

Yep JC it's amazing how ill prepared we were for this.
    Being classified officially here as a drought tomorrow ... :egad:

I'm sick of it - THERE I've said it..........
    hate yellow grass !!
    And cranky kids
    And cranky adults

Hose pipe bans everywhere
    Mr S is defiant & watering his pots & baskets under cover of darkness :haha:

And look at his for idiotic :

'It is essential work' - OPW defends washing the Papal Cross during hosepipe ban - Independent.ie
    Last edited by satz123; July 3, 2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

He has been seen and noted by the hose-pipe police.........

It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

How utterly ridiculous about the cross.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Well my wardrobe is very ill prepared for this weather, never mind all that running out of water stuff. On the plus side, we had filled up one of those paddling pools, (well before the hose ban, in case one of you report me), so the plants and flowers are not dead yet.
          Not sick of it yet though, but the cracks are starting to appear everywhere (Unless you are a teenager, life is a beach )

Got my bloods done today too JC!! She can never get a vein, has me slapping my arm with a strap on like a proper junkie.

Sorry to hear about your buddy RC, he sounds like an interesting man.
          Last edited by IamMary; July 3, 2018, 05:35 PM.
          AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Morning peeps,

Sorry to hear about your Mum Satz. It must be awful for all of you. Suffering is surely the absolute worst part of getting old

Sorry about your friend too RC. Emphysema is a horrible condition and a slow death. Cigarrettes are so destructive.

No hosepipe ban here yet and apparently not one on the way either. I am still enjoying the hot weather although the nights are a bit steamy and not in a good way!

Delighted with the footy result. Dont think I have ever sat through a whole match before and that one wasnt particularly interesting until the end. But pleased for our team

Mad busy at work as usual so gagging for the weekend!

Comment

Good morning Army!!

A mere 30C at 7:45 when I left for work - high of 34C predicted for today. No water bans - just regular summer weather in Greece!!

Satzy - sorry about your Mum. I think the least we can do for our older people is to keep them comfortable. My dad was in a lot of pain during his last year - was on morphine pills and they helped a lot. He had no dementia or anything similar and frankly I don't know if that was good or bad. He was hospitalized during the last few weeks and slept a lot. Whenever he woke tho', the only thing he wanted was to go home. And eat. Bless him, he never lost his appetite!

RC - it never fails to amaze me how people with serious health conditions continue to smoke (and drink). Seriously, Mr. Stirly has had two heart attacks, has 3 stents and has had bowel cancer surgery, yet continues to smoke his cheap cigarillos. And his brother who had triple bypass surgery 20 years ago continues to smoke 2 packs a day. Jeez, Louise!!!!!!!!!

Mary - sleeveless T and shorts are the required clothing for this weather. Speaking from the experience of 35 years of living in Greece. We have had heat waves where the temps went as high as 44C. Not good. Best advice is not to go to the beach where the sea is cool but the beach sand is burning and reflects the heat - go to the mall. Nothing beats air conditioning and icecream to cool you down!!

Jackie and Starts and all of you who have pets - hope they're coping. I always felt sorry for my Freddie in the hot weather. Poor little guy, he just couldn't bear it and spent most of the day stretched out on the marble or tile flooring. A quick walk to the corner and back to do his business and that was it. I used to keep a spray bottle and spritz his head quite often. Not that he really liked it but it did help cool him down.

Wishing you all a pleasant day!!!
              For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
              AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

The reason for hose bans in this fecking country is that the water systems are archaic. There are underground leaks everywhere and the Water Board have to provide 2 litres of water for every one litres that consumed by us. :cuss:

Of course in their wisdom the 'great unwashed' decided that paying a few euro Water Rates a year to improve the systems was cause to take to the streets & protest ..... so that was shelved. Protesting done IN THE RAIN, while there was plenty of water osteroops:

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                  The reason for hose bans in this fecking country is that the water systems are archaic. There are underground leaks everywhere and the Water Board have to provide 2 litres of water for every one litres that consumed by us. :cuss:

Of course in their wisdom the 'great unwashed' decided that paying a few euro Water Rates a year to improve the systems was cause to take to the streets & protest ..... so that was shelved. Protesting done IN THE RAIN, while there was plenty of water osteroops:
                  Satzy, that made me laugh!!

They have never had actual hose bans in Greece. What they did a few years ago is raise the price on any water consumed that was over your normal level. The bills from this year for example were compared with the bills from last year and any water over the amount consumed last year - you paid about 50% more for that amount of water. Needless to say, consumers limited their water as much as possible. It was a good measure and it worked. Your choice of course where you used your water - to water your flowers and lawn or to take a shower. :confusion:

Comment

In other news, younger son's little boy, Alvertos, is now 19 months old and is a handful to say the least. His latest accomplishment is climbing up the ladder to the top bunk of his brother's bed. Just decided one day he could do it and that was that. He doesn't walk, he runs. Everywhere and as fast as he can. He tired his Dad out completely at the beach last weekend and his Dad plays both soccer and basketball - two games a week- besides running around all day at work, up and down stairs, etc. The funniest thing was last Sunday. His Dad dropped by the store to get something and left him in the SUV in his car seat and with the window rolled down a bit so as to give him fresh air. When he got back he noticed that Alvertos had, as usual, taken off his sandals. So younger son drove on home only to discover that the sandals weren't on the floor of the vehicle as he expected. Trip back to the store to retrieve them from the sidewalk where the little monkey had dropped them out the window. Luckily, only a short drive. Personally I found it very funny. His Dad, not so much...:harhar:

Comment

Morning,
                      Got a phone call from the doctors at 10:30am and tbh nearly died.....everything came thumping into my head about worst-case scenarios ..........one of the samples is compromised (WTF does that mean)............got to get more a couple done in an hour. I'm going to have none left.
                      [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION].........you watched the match. Mr JC went up the road and I hid behind the settee. The England goalkeeper is the son of one Mr. JC's clients.I also listened to the Foo Fighters with ear plugs in and for two hours couldn't understand while I'd gone even deafer than normal. One other buggers was still in me ear-hole.

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]............I was a shoe shedder........we'd go to the cinema when I was little and if my Ma and Pa were lucky I'd come out with one. I like having bare feet. Jenny's very much the same.

Must away to go and give Dracula and his staff some more blood.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                        Morning,
                        Got a phone call from the doctors at 10:30am and tbh nearly died.....everything came thumping into my head about worst-case scenarios ..........one of the samples is compromised (WTF does that mean)..........
                        It could just mean that the sample was accidentally contaminated or left open or something by one of the lab staff. Probably nothing to worry about. Just a pain in the nether regions that you have to go back to have blood taken.

I love bare feet in the summer but to be kind to my vertebrae, I wear flip-flops that act as mini shock absorbers. Nothing like bare feet on marble floors to cool you off in the summer, tho'!

Comment

Afternoon peeps,

Thanks for yer thoughts over me wee friend. He's very rational about life - and death - he knows what's done it for him. Always has. Known him for 20 years and he said back then he didn't think AIDS would get him in the end, but smoking... or something else. He's still got his fecking sharp, debased-cover-yer-ears-if-easily-offended humour.

Another 3 hours of head in the laptop trying to write a dissertation. Wrote a word, maybe 3.

The pleasures of lunch at home over PMQ's... it's no very interesting, but i kinda like it! Quick check on the tennis and then back to the head in the laptop position.
                          [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION], as Stirly says, am sure it's just they cocked up and it's nothing to do with your blood as such - just a royal ache in the arse to do it again.
                          [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION] - good to hear yer news, especially about the wee one. My niece just had her 3rd birthday and it's amazing seeing how fast she's sprouted. I KNOW that's a cliche, every maw, paw, uncle and aunt will say it about their sprogs - especially the first ones perhaps. But for me, she being the first kid from either my brother and I, it is still kinda like.. :shocked:

Comment

I'm back ......it could be a cock-up or it could be I'm too low on potassium as all the other tests came back fine and dandy. Yes, I still have this fear of getting a liver test coming back with the enzymes off the chart as if all the years I did embibe are going to jump out laughing you think you got away with it..........but guess what???...we were hiding............

The potassium thing can dealt with holistically so shouldn't be too much of a bother.

Have to admit had a wee tear of happiness and then spent Mr. JC's birthday money in NEXT.

[MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION]............he sounds like my Dad. In fact, the day before my dad died I nipped in on the way home from work with one of the dirtiest jokes I'd ever heard and I thought he'd laugh himself to death.........so glad I didn't save it. To this day I cannot remember what the joke is.

And you know seeing another being with some of your DNA is a miracle. I'll start singing The Circle of Life in a minute.

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION].........beach, grass or in the house for bare feet.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Just a very quick one. I'm on way to the hospital to be put on a drip. The potassium sample came back quite serious. Pray for me.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                                Just a very quick one. I'm on way to the hospital to be put on a drip. The potassium sample came back quite serious. Pray for me.

In my thoughts and prayers, Jackie dear. Maybe Mr. JC could keep us updated on FB as to how you're doing or get a message to one of us somehow. Big hugs.... :biglove:
                                Last edited by stirly-girly; July 4, 2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X