Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: United Nations of MWO

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
    so he sat back in his chair and just nodded 'well' says he 'you have all managed to screw up your lives so much that you have ended up in a treatment centre for addiction for ONE HOUR a day???' --- That was a lightbulb moment for me -- I probably 'knew' it - but it needed to be put in words...
    This is SO TRUE. And by the end, maybe 20 minutes of physical relief and they were full of remorse and guilt because I'd SWORN I wasn't going to drink "today".

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
      This is SO TRUE. And by the end, maybe 20 minutes of physical relief and they were full of remorse and guilt because I'd SWORN I wasn't going to drink "today".
      yes -- true as well!! And even tho addiction doesn't always make a lot of sense - there IS some sense in there in us even in the middle of it all - after all - we manage to cover our tracks and plot and plan - so the 'sense' in that just literally made me nod my head - and if ever in the last few years something, somebody or someplace looked like a drink would enhance the scenario -- that was a major tool for me
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
        [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION] - THAT is exactly my feeling on it. If I can only have 1 or 2 I can't be arsed :haha: so I'll have none.

I wonder if they said we'll put you on a desert Island and you can have as many as you want - never have a hangover 'cos you'd be constantly topping up :egad:
        what would we do ?
        If I were on a desert island with unlimited booze, I just know that I would trip on a sea shell, go head first into the water and drown. I think that I'll pass.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Vervill
          Grateful Mrs V has stuck with me through this ordeal. She's really enjoying the AF free lifestyle, too. Lucky me.
          Originally posted by Slo
          My husband has been nice about not keeping beer in the house lately, so I think he has been kindly & quietly supporting me! At the restaurant last night his face became dark and he looked sad & mad when the waiter tossed the drink menu onto our table. He likes to order a beer to go with his Mexican food. But he quietly supported me and drank water instead.
          After reading both these statements, I had to realize how lucky and grateful I am that Bubba has stuck by my side with never ending support as well! I’m thinking back and I don’t think there has been a drop of booze in the house or at the farm since I quit drinking.

I realize that after getting in a bunch of sober time it gets easier to be around booze without being bothered by it. And not having any alcohol in the house to tempt me also makes it easier to be around drinkers while out at a social function. I’m not sure how much of a difference it would make if I opened the fridge everyday and had cans of Budweiser staring me in the face. I like to think that I’m above that now, that I should be able to see alcohol anywhere and not think about missing or wanting it.

Bubba is like Mrs V, she is alcohol free as well. I’m not sure if she has a glass of wine when out for dinner with her friends, and I don’t really care. She’s not the alcoholic, I am.
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Cowboy--

I am SO lucky and grateful that Mr. P also was extremely supportive. He drinks (too much sometimes), but really has NO issues with it. He talks to me when I need to, and I was able to unload EVERYTHING onto him when I first quit. Of course, it wasn't a surprise to him that I should quit, but I think he would think "take a few weeks off and then join me again." Given we were such drinking buddies, it could have gone either way. A very important tool in my box...

Molly - wow, that did strike home. I have been eating dessert almost every night this summer and am trying to rein that in. I get cravings, but can talk myself through them and then they're gone but its the same thing. I'm going to remember that...

Pav

Comment

Good woman Pav -- eeerrmm - may be a step too far for me with the goodies tho!!! ;-)

Joe had a lightbulb moment the day I was going home from the centre. We both had a meeting with the main counsellor - so she asked him was he going to continue drinking when I went home - he hadn't even thought about it.. so he said 'well yeah - I s'pose' - and she asked him 'so where are you going to sleep when you've been drinking?' He looked at her like she had two heads - 'you don't expect Molly to smell the alcohol off you all night - listen to you snore - and more ;-) do you?' -- simple stuff you may think - but he decided there and then he was going to quit drinking - he drank once for his 60th birthday with some mates and stayed in a hotel that night - and other than that hasn't had - or wanted - a drink in almost 7 years... what a bonus!! He's the one who hates going to the pub if we've to meet folks - doesn't bother me at all!!

Support is wonderful - but if like Joe our partners also drank a bit too much - how good is it for them too!!!

Comment

Ought we to have Secretary General of the UN of MWO? :haha:

On another forum i belong to (not AL, but one for eating disorders) someone wrote the following this morning and I thought, shit, it's just the same for peeps trying to recover from AL....

Think about what you want out of life......what's the big picture? Don't give up what you want the most in life for what you want in the moment.......restriction [AL for MWO peeps ] is a quick fix that lessens the anxiety we feel now but if you always give in to it and never challenge it, you'll never change. It took me years to learn that.........recovery isn't easy or comfortable but unless you commit, you'll still be in exactly the same position in 5 or 10 years time. That would be such a waste.

Comment

Not sure if we need a Secretary General or not [MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION], but I know for sure we’re all Ambassadors to MWO!

When you were talking about ED on the Army thread, I was thinking you were talking about the “other” ED and I thought it quite a topic to be discussing in a room full of ladies lol. Then I figured out what you were referring to and actually did laugh at myself.

And I totally agree with what the person said about addiction being “in the moment”! It just takes that one moment, that one thought to cave in to our addiction. Learning to deal with those moments and thoughts is hard, but practice makes perfect and if we set our sights on attainable goals, the future looks brighter for all of us! Don't give up on being the person you want to be and eventually you'll be that person.
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]...at first I thought it was the other kind of ED as well. I'm sure that we weren't the only ones. :redface-new:

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post

When you were talking about ED on the Army thread, I was thinking you were talking about the “other” ED and I thought it quite a topic to be discussing in a room full of ladies lol. Then I figured out what you were referring to and actually did laugh at myself.

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
                      at first I thought it was the other kind of ED as well. I'm sure that we weren't the only ones. :redface-new:
                      :hahaha:

I don't have THAT ED...

Comment

@Running Courage....see, things could always be worse!:belchha:

Comment

Hah. :welldone: (and doesn't al cause the occasional ED (or as I've heard it called, Whiskey Di&k?)

Thanks for sharing that. It really is true about any addiction, isn't it? [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] always has the sources for the research, but so much of it is changing your thinking. "I NEED a drink to..." vs., "this is an uncomfortable feeling, but I know it will pass... (or WTF is happening!!!! , but I know it will pass). Don't know if that makes sense.

Molly - that's lucky. I do definitely think DH should quit, but I also know that's NEVER going to happen, so that's that. I guess if I had him sleep in another room we might have a chance. On Friday night he got a good buzz and started calling me all these pet names, and showering me with affection - the worst. I had to tell him to buzz off until sober. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post

calling me all these pet names, and showering me with affection - the worst. I had to tell him to buzz off until sober. Yuck.
                            Oh Gawd :egad:
                            nothing worse Pav

Comment

Ah come on gals, we men are such romantics when we're drunk. And let's not forget that we know everything, have all the right answers, can dance like Fred Astaire, and sing like Frank Sinatra! lol And when we finally get you to cave in, as Pav says, we get the other ED, whiskey di@&k, but then of course that's also your fault because you took so long to finally give in! Those are memories I'd just as soon forget!
                              Last edited by abcowboy; August 27, 2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                                Hah. :welldone: (and doesn't al cause the occasional ED (or as I've heard it called, Whiskey Di&k?)

Thanks for sharing that. It really is true about any addiction, isn't it? [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] always has the sources for the research, but so much of it is changing your thinking. "I NEED a drink to..." vs., "this is an uncomfortable feeling, but I know it will pass... (or WTF is happening!!!! , but I know it will pass). Don't know if that makes sense.

Molly - that's lucky. I do definitely think DH should quit, but I also know that's NEVER going to happen, so that's that. I guess if I had him sleep in another room we might have a chance. On Friday night he got a good buzz and started calling me all these pet names, and showering me with affection - the worst. I had to tell him to buzz off until sober. Yuck.
                                Oh GROSS!!! I'd forgotten all that:welldone:

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
                                Ah come on gals, we men are such romantics when we're drunk. And let's not forget that we know everything, have all the right answers, can dance like Fred Astaire, and sing like Frank Sinatra! lol And when we finally get you to cave in, as Pav says, we get the other ED, whiskey di@&k, but then of course that's also your fault because you took so long to finally give in! Those are memories I'd just as soon forget!
                                Awww Cowboy - Where were you when I needed my PERFECT man?

Comment

Working...
                                X