X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: October Army Manoeuvres 2018

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
    Yup. Starts and ends with us Stirls .
    We ARE the centre of our universe - the world DOES revolve around us. Everything we do ( anyone does ) is to make us feel better - whether it's us changing habits ( good & bad) or trying to change someone else to make US feel better.
    When we can't change things to suit us - we drink ( add addiction) to feel better.
    Think about it.
    Couldnt agree more with this.

Comment

Bridgey I am so sorry about your puss. It is heartbreaking when its time for them to go. At least she has you to see her through and do the right thing when or if the time comes

Comment

Evening all. So sorry about your puss Bridget. Hard to believe it’s October. Just in from work so need to get some food. Will have a read back later,

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
          You know, that is one of the truest things I've ever heard?
          Where I come from, and the way I am, it is wrong to put yourself first. Selfish and rude. But even being a martyr has it's pay offs. You are right, this business is too serious not to prioritise ourselves first.
          Its wrong where I come from as well.

Been bitter cold today. Just as well the heating was serviced last week.

Man that came to measure the doors was in and out in 10 minutes and half of that was patting Bess who was helping.
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post
            The thing for us alkies is that our "go-to" for avoiding our problems is AL. That coupled with the "F-it" factor is, I believe, our biggest problem. IMVHO, it's not a fact of being gutless (sorry Satzy) but more a fact of not knowing that we are strong enough to face our problem and stand up to it. Knowing who we are, believing in ourselves, realizing that we ARE strong enough to conquer the demon, as they say. We all have it in us to do things that we don't even realize we could do, but we won't know until we test ourselves, until we face up to a situation or a challenge to see if we can overcome it. We use AL to blur the edges of our pain, to avoid facing the problems in our life, and every day we say, today/tonight, I'm not going to drink, then we say F-it - just today and I'll stop tomorrow. The problems don't go away, the pain doesn't get less and all we're doing is compounding our troubles by continuing to try to "drown" them in AL. Troubles will always be there, situations or people that are unpleasant but have to be dealt with. Few things simply go away or right themselves while we are hiding in the bottle! But we can stand firmly on our own feet, as you say, and face up to our problem with AL first and foremost. And if it hadn't been one of the main things troubling us in our lives, we never would have found MWO. I know I'm not saying anything new - I just reiterating what we already know to emphasize once again that the strength is within us. We just have to want our sobriety more than anything. We have to want to get out from under the cloud of AL and find our true selves. And yes, face life, no matter what it throws us. And most important - love ourselves and appreciate ourselves for the unique and special person we are. It all starts with us....
            Totally get this stirly. Could apply to so many facets of life. It always seems easier to not do what appears so hard, to put off, to ignore... and then you realise time, life, opportunities have gone by. And life doesn't have a <repeat play> button...

Comment

Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post
              The thing for us alkies is that our "go-to" for avoiding our problems is AL. That coupled with the "F-it" factor is, I believe, our biggest problem. IMVHO, it's not a fact of being gutless (sorry Satzy) but more a fact of not knowing that we are strong enough to face our problem and stand up to it. Knowing who we are, believing in ourselves, realizing that we ARE strong enough to conquer the demon, as they say. We all have it in us to do things that we don't even realize we could do, but we won't know until we test ourselves, until we face up to a situation or a challenge to see if we can overcome it. We use AL to blur the edges of our pain, to avoid facing the problems in our life, and every day we say, today/tonight, I'm not going to drink, then we say F-it - just today and I'll stop tomorrow. The problems don't go away, the pain doesn't get less and all we're doing is compounding our troubles by continuing to try to "drown" them in AL. Troubles will always be there, situations or people that are unpleasant but have to be dealt with. Few things simply go away or right themselves while we are hiding in the bottle! But we can stand firmly on our own feet, as you say, and face up to our problem with AL first and foremost. And if it hadn't been one of the main things troubling us in our lives, we never would have found MWO. I know I'm not saying anything new - I just reiterating what we already know to emphasize once again that the strength is within us. We just have to want our sobriety more than anything. We have to want to get out from under the cloud of AL and find our true selves. And yes, face life, no matter what it throws us. And most important - love ourselves and appreciate ourselves for the unique and special person we are. It all starts with us....
              Beautiful Stirly whirly! thank you.

Jonesy, sorry to hear about your cat. How are things there?

Big waves to all out on manouveres.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Evening all😊

Good to see ya MrG

Some real beautiful and deep posts there, thank you folks :thumbsup:

Bridgey, sorry about your cat. 24 is some age. Thoughts are with you x

Stirly have you ever been a life coach? If not, you should!

Hey everybody else!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea29 View Post
                  Evening all��

Good to see ya MrG

Some real beautiful and deep posts there, thank you folks :thumbsup:

Bridgey, sorry about your cat. 24 is some age. Thoughts are with you x

Stirly have you ever been a life coach? If not, you should!

Hey everybody else!
                  Haha, I always think that too about [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]! Mind you, I am always in awe of the grounded advise here. I was clueless when I started down this sober path, Id read a few books which made sense but its not the same as on going conversation, directed at you.

Did that person who fell off the wagon get back on, does anyone know? I like happy endings :happy2:

( [MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION], Dublin marathon, the one your brother started out doing!
                  Achillies still in pain Nurse SweetPea. I have a nasty looking toe on the other foot now, just for balance)

sorry about your cat Bridge, 24 is a great age :hug:

Night night
                  Last edited by IamMary; October 1, 2018, 05:52 PM.
                  AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Happy October. Army!
                    “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

morning folks. procrastinating. have the job interview for the job i'm doing so supposed to be reading up for it... uhhh....!!

hello [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] - happy october to you too!

hello [MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION] - enjoy sunnier climes on your October beach pad (cos it's spring there, no?)
                      [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] - 24! So sad when a dear pet dies, :hug: but I must congratulate the late moggy for such a splendid innings. Most cats I know of slip off this mortal coil at about 15-16
                      [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] - Dublin, of course! Enjoy the tapering!

Off to... read!

Comment

Good morning everyone. Good luck in the interview RC. Hi to Techie and Guitarista, thanks for popping in. Great posts yesterday. Going to have a busy week. Daughter coming home tomorrow as her birthday is Saturday. Will have full house over weekend so need to get ready. Very dark these mornings, hard to get up and go out walking with the doggies in the dark, the mornings I work. Better get a move on though.

Comment

Morning,
                          Originally posted by techie View Post
                          Happy October. Army!
                          And to you. :hug:

[MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION]............good luck at the interview.

Waves to Mr G, don't be a stranger.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hello from SUNNY Athens (finally) !! After 5 days of high winds, and 4 days straight of rain, rain, rain, we finally got some sunshine! Thought I was living in another country there for awhile. Half of my plants in my planter boxes have drowned with so much water so I know what I'll be doing when the soil finally dries out.

RC - best of luck with that interview!

Bridge - thinking of you!!

Mrs. A? Hope things are going well with Mr. A and of course, you.

Hello to Techster and Geester! Great to see both of you!

Sweetie - not a life coach but since getting and staying sober, I have really gotten my priorities straightened out about what I need to do to stay well, both physically and mentally. It has meant severing some ties (a separation after 43 years of marriage is not usually done but it was necessary for my well-being. And Mr. Stirly is better off now, too. He may be lonely at times but we were both lonely when we were together and now there is no tension in his home (unless he creates it himself!:smile Mind you, not everyone agrees with the decision I made (older son being one of them) but that is their problem, not mine. As I said yesterday, we need to take care of ourselves first. And if that means distancing ourselves from toxic relationships and circumstances, then that's what we need to do. Nuff said!!

Rusty - hope you enjoy your daughter's visit. How old is she and will you be making the cake or ordering one from JackieClaire? (She's the Army's cake expert!!)

Mary- I can't believe you ran a marathon with an Achilles's heel injury! Good for you. Now, if you'd like to come to Greece and do the Athens marathon - it starts about 12 kilometres from where I live and I would be happy to have you as a house guest!!

Startypants - check back in soon, will you and let us know how things are going! Specially at work....
                            Greetings to all - hope you're enjoying your day as much as you can........
                            Edited to add - :flower: to Jackie and where is Satz!!!!
                            Last edited by stirly-girly; October 2, 2018, 05:06 AM.
                            For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                            AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]............funny you should mention my cake baking just bought some new tins and baking sheets.............testing them out. Mr JC's going to have the fattest office staff in the north of England...............going to have a bash at meringues later this week.

Also...........my mum used to work in works and pensions (no idea what its called now) when the divorce laws became easier over in the UK, the number of over 55 years old divorces/separations rocketed. The stigma is more or less gone.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                                [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]............funny you should mention my cake baking just bought some new tins and baking sheets.............testing them out. Mr JC's going to have the fattest office staff in the north of England...............going to have a bash at meringues later this week.

Also...........my mum used to work in works and pensions (no idea what its called now) when the divorce laws became easier over in the UK, the number of over 55 years old divorces/separations rocketed. The stigma is more or less gone.
                                [MENTION=752362]JackieClaire[/MENTION] you remind me of my sister - she's always baking something and every year makes a batch of "welcome" cupcakes for her husband's students.

The stigma is not gone for separations/divorces here in Greece even tho' the statistics sadly show that 55% of the marriages end in divorce. I am assuming that is for couples under a certain age. You will rarely find a couple that will split after 20 years or so. They just put up with each other for appearances sake, mostly.

How are you doing, anyway - putting on any weight? Hope so! Not to be facetious but wouldn't it be nice if we could put weight on only in the places we want to??
                                Last edited by stirly-girly; October 2, 2018, 07:03 AM.
                                For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                                AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Working...
                                X