Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: December Army Manoevres

Morning lovelies,

[MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION]...come here and have one of these :hug:......thanks for your honesty and serves as a good reminder for those of us with some years in that the answer is never at the bottom of a glass.

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION].........you'll never believe this but I've got three huge piggy banks (empty) called Violet, Rose, and Lily.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Pinched this from the Cafe thread.........thanks [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]

"At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of this pleasure gradually diminishes and the addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain."
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Afternoon all. Glad the site seems to be working ok today. Thanks for sharing that Bridget, none of us can get too complacent. Glad Rosie is bringing so much joy Satz. I’ve taken today off and am spending it cleaning :egad: well taking a little break now but better get back to it!

Comment

Popped the lappy while feeding Bess...........How is it a burning question that needed answering via google can just disappear into thin air less in the few minutes it took to feed her. So I thought I'd pop in here.

[MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION]........I'm starting my Christmas cards and was looking for an address I'd just 'popped' into one of the drawers in the sideboard. While I was there gave them a bit of a tidy........an hour plus later.........no address but lovely tidy drawers.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening all.
            [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] - thanks for sharing about yer relapse. The scary (?) thing I think about releases after x amount of years is that it shows that behaviours learned cannot, imho, be unlearned - as in we don't know them anymore, or somehow become ignorant of them. Everyone here knows how they dealt with, lived with, used and abused AL. But we can learn new ways of living without AL. That any one of us can/could relapse only shows that whatever the new routes/roads/behaviours we have learned to live without AL - we still maintain the knowledge of what we did once before. As such, in some ways, this makes us all the more susceptible to using/abusing AL in times of undue stress.

There was an analogy from the ED site about changing behaviours and how difficult it is at first: addition or negative behavoiural traits are like sledging down a well run path through a deep furrow of snow. changing this - so stopping drinking - is like trying to sledge off this smooth well run course into deep snow. it's hard. It's easier to keep going down the smooth path, but eventually the new path will take form, will become easier to sled along and eventually be as normal, as easy as it was when drinking.

But what makes us more susceptible is that we know whether the original path is, irrespective of where it leads.

Did that make sense?!

Comment

Next post...

The other site I'm a member of announced it was shutting down at the end of the month. I've only been a member since Aug - and though I read daily, I don't post as much as I do here. The reasons they cited was that moderation of the site was a full time job and the current administrators were struggling - though were doing, imo, a very good job. But the other reason was that they felt the site was not being used properly by some - that some were talking the talk but not walking the walk - and as such it potentially triggered some people to relapse in their recovery process.

Kinda weird... understand where they are coming from, though. But yeah... dunno. Just sharing. To be honest probably just struggling a but with the ED stuff and at times with AL (it's an on off, on off thing... and when it's on it's little, but I've been here long enough to know where that leads if it's not dealt with more assertively. Just not feeling assertive.) Bollocks, sorry this is turning a tad negative.

In short, the problem:
              Feeling bleh.

In short, the answer:
              Morecambe & Wise - Bring Me Sunshine - YouTube

Ahh... that's a wee bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                "At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of this pleasure gradually diminishes and the addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain."
                I like that JC.. well said [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]

Thanks [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] for posting and I hope the situation has improved or at least is no worse. You have control back again and you'll see that 7 year stint again, then you'll have 14 :happy2:
                It does scare the bejaysus out of me, just thinking about being that person again. I was very functional, but my head was just full of booze thoughts, there was no room for anything else. Finally this is the new Normal, like in RCs snow analogy!
                AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by RunningCourage View Post

Kinda weird... understand where they are coming from, though. But yeah... dunno. Just sharing. To be honest probably just struggling a but with the ED stuff and at times with AL (it's an on off, on off thing... and when it's on it's little, but I've been here long enough to know where that leads if it's not dealt with more assertively. Just not feeling assertive.) Bollocks, sorry this is turning a tad negative.

In short, the problem:
                  Feeling bleh.
                  Bleh is fine, we cant all be happy eejits all day long. Im wondering:
                  - Has the ED site helped?
                  - Have you thought about counselling for ED, individual or group?
                  - Are you doing any running? I know you were going to give it a break - I don't mean long ones, just park runs, getting a bit of adrenaline going?

Hows school going?

Comment

Oh yers are loverly.

Funny you should use that analogy Arsey, because that's exactly how I imagine neural pathways. I think our drinking pathway will always be there. God knows mine was well gouged in. I'll just be grateful for the sober time that I had and the sober time ahead of me.

Sent my best mate a text the other day to confirm that I will no longer be drinking. Ever. It wasn't a question, nor did it invite discussion so there was none.

Do you know what the factors are with your ED Arsey if you don't mind me asking? Stress, control, change?

As Mary says, we can't be happy clappys all the time. Sometimes there's not even an identifiable reason.

I'm up late cooking these stupid frigging brownie things for Xmas party tomorrow. Used the wrong flour whatever the hell ''all purpose" flour is. I'm so far over it I'm coming back.
                    Night all.
                    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

[MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION]...............sorry you've got a case of the blahs. Unfortunately its a very common condition and made doubly worse at this time of year when we're supposed to decking the halls, being jolly and ha ha haaaing like a demented Santa.

Have you tried talking therapies? Now listen..........because I'm a full blown alkie and I've been around, done a fair bit of work with addicts (just because ours is legal doesn't give us a pretty name)........stop dabbling, bimbling and farting about and give it up. Its only in the last couple of years across a word 'drunkorexior'.........it rang so many bells with me. Back 15 years ago I just didn't eat.....perhaps a couple of cream crackers & cheese, cup of bovril a day. I learnt how to push a meal around a plate so it looked like I'd eaten something. I was 45kg (100lbs) and looked like a walking corpse and of course alcohol hit my blood stream with a bang.
                      Now I know that it actually has a word.
                      What I'm blabbing about is one thing at a time........get some good sober time in. It'll clear your mind and then you can go body and soul into your ED.

Now I'm starting to sound preachy so I'll belt up.

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]....let us know how you and your special friend are.

[MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION].....any brownies left.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening all. Yea Bridget, any brownies going :yay: good advice there RC from JC. ItÂ’s no wonder so many feel bleh this time of year, short dark days and the pressure of all the social occasions. I pretty much do what suits me any more. Lunches out, about one a week. Going to a concert this Friday IÂ’ll do one party night but am driving. Signed up yesterday for sunrise hike New YearÂ’s Day. Have wanted to do it for a while but am usually chauffeuring NY Eve. Know they are not around this year so put my name down. Depends on the roads really. Are you still running Mary? Better say good night, IÂ’m a celebrity is coming on.

Comment

Yep Still running Rustop, but I miss the serious training now, cant wait to sign up to something..soon. Sunrise hike sounds magic. What time do you set out at?

Comment

[MENTION=18049] when we're supposed to decking the halls, being jolly and ha ha haaaing like a demented Santa.
                            :harhar:

So himself comes home last night after a party, falling around, couldnt manage the key so the doorbell was rung at 2am!! I was like a demon and couldnt get back to sleep for at least an hour. Cross and cranky today but I took a lot of pleasure in the fact that he was very hungover. :lildevil:
                            Id forgotten how much this silly season serves as a reminder of how far we have all come.. Why was it ever attractive!
                            Last edited by IamMary; December 5, 2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
                              Yep Still running Rustop, but I miss the serious training now, cant wait to sign up to something..soon. Sunrise hike sounds magic. What time do you set out at?
                              6 am, probably have to leave home 5.30 or earlier so will see how the roads are as it’s in Glendalough, fingers crossed no ice or snow ❄️ ⛄️

Comment

Good morning Army!!

The sun is starting to come out and I think it's going to be a beautiful day after all. Was rainy and coolish when I got up but now I can see them blue skies!!

[MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION] - sorry to hear you are down. You know - a lot of things have been going on in your life lately - your Mom falling, that incident at the school with the foster child, your ED and of course the AL issue. Also, I assume there was a big build-up to your play and perhaps that let-down after it's all over. It seems that a lot of things happened in a very short period of time. And again, the holiday season is not always the best time for a lot of people. I personally look forward to when the hullabaloo is all over with. It's been way too commercial for many, many years now. As far as you getting back on track, I can only agree with what the others said and especially Mary's mention of running. From what I understand, running is a great psychological boost to those who do it regularly and perhaps that is one of the things missing in your life right now. Hope you can get things turned around.

[MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] - so sorry to hear about your family member. IMVHO - your reaction was the most natural one for an alkie - blot it all out with AL, drown your worries, whatever else they say. The biggest problem is that AL is a temporary "solution", as you well know. Good for you for getting a hold on things and back to your AF life. Now as for the brownies - I just learned yesterday that there is a new chain of stores opening in Athens that have marywanna based products - flour, etc. The person who told me said that the percentage of pot in the products is limited to something like 5 or 10% so not enough to get you stoned. I was wondering how many folk will make their own brownies with that kind of flour and eat the whole damn pan!! Actually, I was gobsmacked that they are allowed to sell those kind of products in this country. It's not like I live in Holland or something.

[MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] - glad you're putting off the rest of the home renovations til the end of January. Okay - I get the plasterer - the decorator - what will he/she do? I have really enjoyed getting my apartment the way I want it over the past months. Just one thing at a time but really enjoying it. The new bed is up and ready for visitors. Waiting for you or [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] or [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]4 or anyone else who fancies a visit to Greece! [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] or [MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION] - you might want to consider the Athen Marathon next year - they run right through my small town!!

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]....let us know how you and your special friend are.
                                Thanks for asking, Jackie. He went home on Tuesday, back at his fruit market yesterday and early this morning when we talked he was on his way to pick up produce for the store. Not that I think he should be but he is a very determined person. He still limps a lot, has no feeling in his left foot and above his right eyebrow but he's back in the saddle as best he can be! I have a bad cold still and finally decided to get something for it. Actually thought of going to the hosiope for chest x-rays to make sure I don't have pneumonia since I woke up with a very heavy chest today but decided it's just phlegm and stuff that need to get cleared out so got a syrup instead. No sugar, no AL so we okay there!

Youngest grandson - Alvertos - turns 2 today. He's the biological son of my younger son (they have an older boy (8) from his wife's first marriage. We - Mr. Stirly and I are not invited to the party at their house because she doesn't want us in her home. (according to her, I am to blame for her milk drying up and not being able to nurse Alvertos longer than 6 weeks. So they will have a cake and Alvertos' parents, his brother and his other grandparents will be there. In October, his Mom spent between 800 and 1000 euro for birthday celebrations for the older boy - they went on for three days. But that's okay - younger son's new apartment is already for him to move into as soon as the divorce papers are signed so we're going to have a smash-up party there on Saturday!

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] - glad to hear that Rosie is getting her full share of spoiling. That's what little girl doggies should get. She really is adorable. Sincerely wish I could have one like her but I'm away from home too many hours a day. Would be a delight to have a doggie like her greet me when I get home from work!! And the walking is one thing I greatly miss since we lost our Freddie.

Troopers - off to answer some e-mails and maybe get back later. Our new (6 months already) co-worker (employee) has not shown up today due to a slight cold. Poor fellow. Grrr. I should have stayed home both yesterday and today with my cold and he takes the day off for a sniffle.

Wishing you all a great day! Make it the best you can!!!! inkele: :spin:
                                For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                                AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Working...
                                X