Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: June Army Thread 2019

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
    [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] I'm heading to the mountains today with Rosie.
    I'll save the kiddies ........ :egad:
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning/Afternoon/Eve:
      [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]-when will you get the results from your biopsy? Thinking of you!

xx
      RustyRedLocks

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        Morning/Afternoon/Eve:
        [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]-when will you get the results from your biopsy? Thinking of you!

xx
        RustyRedLocks
        Thank you, Rusty.
        11th June at 11 am........thim is approximate......The doctor said she won't know how long her other appointments may take ( all depends on the results of those that go before me) so bring a book and enough change for the coffee machine.

Back from the vets. Bess inoculated for another year with a load of her joint medication. She's got an icky ear so stuff for that........amazing how fast a 14+year-old Lab can run when you get an ear syringe out. Its like wrestling a seal covered in baby oil trying to hold her down to get the dose in........... And we're £150+ lighter in the pocket.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning All,
          Up early to the sound of beautiful rain, rain, rain at last!!! Just planted winter annuals at the weekend so I can't believe my luck. It’s a long time since we got a water.

Stirly, you took the words right out of my head. The big challenge with these things is not to let them lodge in your gut and set you up to be a victim all over again. The anger and resentment are still boiling away. Oddly, I think the boy has moved on from this better than I have. Probably just sheer relief, and maybe being young. I did take the thing over from him if you know what I mean. Protected him as much as I could. But seeing him in that witness box all alone in his too-big suit being accused of these vile things and glared at by jurors who clearly were not going to be objective - with his friends all sobbing around me - refreshing the social media pages every 30 seconds on my phone to see if it was all over for us – without hesitation the worst thing I have ever experienced.

Mers I still not sure I can let it go either. One of the many things I’ve learnt – frequent, open conversations about these issues with all the youngsters. And another thing….I disliked this girl from the get-go. I could see straight through her pseudo confidence and pathological attention seeking. I knew she was a wrong’n. I spoke to him about it but I was not vocal enough. I will never make that mistake again and I don’t care if I come across as the biggest cockatoo in the tree.
          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Now JC, I am thrilled to bits for Jenny. Got to say I admire the young man for sticking to his guns and putting his kids first. There is too much of this rushing into things these days - introducing kids to a long line of potential relationships too early only to have it collapse two days later. It's a really good sign around the fellow's character - and Jenny's if he has chosen her to introduce them to her. They've also built faith with the Mum who is just being cautious for her kids. They sound like a solid couple to me.

Also, why is it taking so bloody long to get your results? That's very cruel tbh.
            I think you might have had that shower by now though. I can almost hear the groans of ecstasy from here.
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
              I think you might have had that shower by now though. I can almost hear the groans of ecstasy from here.
              & we could almost get the waft over the Irish sea :hahaha:

Comment

Met DD & her fella in Wicklow mountains today. I've never seen such a change in someone.
                This lady would not walk from the car park into M&S if she could help it.
                She's now gone all outdoosey & doing treks up mountains.

We did 10k with them & Rosie today. Very pleasant.
                They are moving in together next month :egad:
                [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] YS is doing well & was sober the last time I saw him on Thursday. Keeping fit cycling everywhere, living in his Grandmother's house, interviewing for jobs etc.
                But after the Liverpool win on Saturday ( he's a lifelong fan ) who knows

Comment

wow, all your young folk are getting serious in their relationships [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION], both taking big steps!
                  My cousin was the same Satz, no interest in anything outdoorsy, then met her fella in her late 30s and has just about stopped cycling because she due any day now :happy2:
                  Glad to hear that about YS.

You are due a bit of luck now Bridge, the rain is a good start.

Thanks for getting the kids JC! If you could do your superhero thing in the morning and get them out of bed, it would be much appreciated :dancin: (not my family tomorrow).

Night all X
                  AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Morning,
                    [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION].............I can only conjecture (my fave word of the moment) as to why its taking so long is a) lack of staff b) too much ticking of boxes c) the fear of being sued d) the staff are just over worked, over tired and sick days are phenomal e) lack of funding
                    I love the NHS but subsequent governments have eroded it to the nth degree. The same with legal aid........ I'll stop before I get too political.

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]..........sounds like a new hat is on the horizon

You'd have got a lovely waft of tea-tree oil shampoo and shower gel.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good evening,
                      Wheres everyone :eyes:
                      Rustop should be home soon.
                      Lashed here the entire day. nothing else to report, so I will leave you with a thought.
                      sober-life-quotes-sober-life-quotes-best-25-sober-quotes-ideas-on-pinterest-addiction.jpg
                      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Quick check in from work.
                        I'm sitting here ..... conjecturing.....
                        What is an acceptable 'excuse' to relapse? Is there such a thing? How to alchis get though extremely stressful events without drinking? I wonder what I could have done differently?

JC, I know for a fact that the politicians don't wait for anything in the health system. Former Premier of NSW Neville Wran came into my hospital a long time ago for a throat operation. He was 'fast-tracked' past all the plebs waiting in line for services: x-ray, theatre. It was disgusting. What a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the reality of a stressed health system and we missed it.
                        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Good morning Army. Another beautiful day here in Athens. 22C when I left for work at 7 a.m. but I would really love some rain TBH. Summer rain is the best!!

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
                          Quick check in from work.
                          I'm sitting here ..... conjecturing.....
                          What is an acceptable 'excuse' to relapse? Is there such a thing? How to alchis get though extremely stressful events without drinking? I wonder what I could have done differently?
                          Now Bridge, I can only answer this from my own point of view and I hope that what I say will not upset anyone - I'll try not to step on anyone's toes.

First - the word "excuse" makes me think that I am about to do something I know I shouldn't but I need to find a good reason to do it even tho' there probably isn't one. I'm basically just trying to justify my actions. And if I really thought them through, there might not be an "excuse" for what I am thinking of doing. That, applied to a relapse, for me says this - how committed are you to your sobriety? Why would you risk it for a temporary blotting out of the situation that is stressing you? I have said that I will never drink again and I truly believe it. For several reasons. I have already stated in former posts that I hated drinking in the end - I hated that I thought about it so much, I hated that it robbed me of a normal life since my days revolved around getting through to that first drink of the evening - then the slowly losing control, drinking myself into a comatose state and getting up the next day regretting that once again I gave myself over to AL. I really hated it but I hadn't gotten to the point that I was willing to do whatever it took to get sober. When it finally happened - when I finally made that decision and woke up one morning not having drank the night before, my relief was so huge, I felt that this great weight had been lifted off of me and that I had the chance to get my life back, to find the real me again and to live like other people - not trapped in the clutches of an addiction. In spite of not sleeping hardly at all the first few weeks and having bad leg cramps at night, I got through them and got up every morning feeling that I had a new lease on life. That feeling alone, after all those years of that daily routine that I hated, was and is enough for me to say that AL has no place in my life. That there is absolutely and without contradiction no reason (excuse) for me to drink. It would not benefit me in any way. No matter what I have to deal with and believe me the past two years have been very difficult on many levels, drinking would only give me a very short-lived escape from any troubling thoughts and situations and I would be risking going back to the hell that my life was when I drank. So for me, there is no excuse to relapse because there are so many reasons NOT to. As I said, this is only my own personal experience. After I got sober, I turned my life around. I took over the family business and with some help from younger son, got it back on it's feet. To the point that we moved to larger premises in a completely different area after 30 years at the same location. We took the risk, we made the move. I was by myself in the business for almost 18 months til younger son joined me. I couldn't have done that if I was drinking. I walked out of my marriage finally after 43 years - at least 20 of them very unhappy ones for both of us. Mr. Stirly would never have taken that action - I did it. Because I am strong again. And don't think that I am blowing my own horn here - I'm not. I'm just showing how your life can change when AL is no longer involved. At 67 years young, I work 10+ hours a day then often babysit my younger grandson, support my friends who are facing difficult situations as much as I can and still find time for my special friend. I never ever would be able to do these things if I was drinking. So, as I said, for me, there is no excuse to drink, just so many, many reasons not to. And truly, when you make that decision, as others here have done, you are committed to your sobriety and nothing will make you risk that. I won't say there weren't a few times that a fleeting thought passed through my mind that "I could use a drink right now". But it wasn't really a desire for AL, just the need for something to relax me, to help me get my mind off my troubles for a bit. Putting on my favourite music, going for coffee with a friend, calling my sister to vent, watching a good movie, - anything it takes to get you into the mind set to be able to deal with the problems or even just put off thoughts of them until you can face them. Or accept them, whichever the case may be. But turn to AL - no. It would only compound the problems, not solve anything.

Ok - back to work.

Jacks - counting days til you have your answer. Positive thoughts sent your way and huge hugs!!

Wishing you all an outstanding day!! In the good sense, of course! inkele::flowerspin:
                          For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Morning,
                            [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION]...........nothing like a good conjecture when you're at work.
                            I'm sitting here trying to think of an answer..........and just I don't know.......so bear with me. I don't think of it as an excuse..........yours is one of those unique occasions none of us should ever have to go through, ever.
                            With me I know when my dad died I no longer had him as a barrier between me and my mother and looking back that's when I went off into the stratosphere with my drinking. Although looking back even before that I drank to get drunk.
                            There are more questions than answers. Why can some people grab a 'nice' cup of tea when they're stressed and the likes of us reach for alcohol?
                            There's no rhyme or reason to it.
                            Sorry not much of an answer but its just so puzzling.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                              Morning,
                              [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION]...........nothing like a good conjecture when you're at work.
                              I'm sitting here trying to think of an answer..........and just I don't know.......so bear with me. I don't think of it as an excuse..........yours is one of those unique occasions none of us should ever have to go through, ever.
                              With me I know when my dad died I no longer had him as a barrier between me and my mother and looking back that's when I went off into the stratosphere with my drinking. Although looking back even before that I drank to get drunk.
                              There are more questions than answers. Why can some people grab a 'nice' cup of tea when they're stressed and the likes of us reach for alcohol?
                              There's no rhyme or reason to it.
                              Sorry not much of an answer but its just so puzzling.
                              Jackie - but you were already drinking when your Dad died. It wasn't a relapse then, but an escalation. So what could make you relapse now? I think that's what [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] is asking and what others may ask. You are almost 10 years sober - what could make you relapse? My guess is that even if you considered it - your first thoughts would be that you would let yoursel your family down. Then you would think about all the things you've accomplished since you stopped AL. And they are many. You got the certificate for working with kids, you did all the necessary steps to do your volunteer work. You overcame some of your fears and phobias - flying by yourself for the first time was a huge thing. And the new coping practices that you have adopted. So my guess is that, like myself, you wouldn't be looking for an excuse but rather, you would be examining the reasons not to go back. And I think that is a key factor here. Huge congrats to people who HAVE relapsed and then gotten up and dusted themselves off, as many here have done many times. In most situations, maybe at the time they thought their only solace was to drown the emotions and blank out the problems but I think the reasons NOT TO are what we have to have foremost in our minds. Just MVHO put I think it justifies a good think.
                              For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                              AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]
                                Sorry cross-posted with you earlier but my bus was due and I've been tearing my hair out watching day-time TV.
                                Now there's a question and a half.............easiest way to reply would be I haven't come across a situation that would make me drink............yet.
                                Back in the day, anything would set me off........the stress at work, the kids coming in late, celebrate good times, drown bad times.........you name it I could find a reason to pick up a bottle.
                                There have been times over the last 10 years I could have picked up a bottle or three and a few sneaky vodka miniatures from the corner shop........but I had tools that I learnt at AA, NA, Smart, MWO and the many relapses...........I had a very understanding doctor who was by my side, a fabulous counsellor .........I listened to him and it sunk in..........not like other counsellors I'd had before.Hoping they would finish the session so I get on with going home and getting stuck in to what I actually had in my bag.
                                I'm very lucky wear we live. Its a small city.......I have my rules if we go to a party/function/gig. I'll be blowed if I'm driving..........so I say a fond farewell and I just leave them to it and get a taxi home. Its a damned sight cheaper than the copious amounts I used to drink. Our friends have got used to me not drinking and tbh think they like me better.
                                I could go all cosmos and say the planets aligned, my star sign was in the right place but the bottom line is I was going to die and I really wanted to live. Before I was just existing.
                                Last edited by JackieClaire; June 5, 2019, 07:15 AM.
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X