X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: August Army Thread 2019

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
    Morning all - sorry for being AWOL.
    My next door neighbour & kinda friend of 40 years died aged 64 - very sad.

I'll be blunt here and say the reason the threads are so quiet is that for years people have come to expect a core few to bolster it up as they take hiatus, lurk, read and maybe relapse but not contribute ..... fact.
    LET'S FACE IT when you relapse that is when you need support. That's like waiting to go lose weight before you go to Weightwatchers - insanity.

Then come back & expect the same people to be still there ..... how would we feel if they weren't here if we couldn't just pop back in?
    I've been doing it myself recently and I for one would be devestated to lose the friends on here if the Army were to cease.

The core team members tire - some earlier than others - but tire of making connections, investing in others only to be left high & dry when they just disappear.

So I will start to contribute again regularly and A CALL OUT TO ALL ARMY MEMBERS get your arses back - you are needed.
    Originally posted by mollyka View Post
    Well I'm in Satz if I'm welcomed - I know I left after making too blunt comments (similar to what you've just said imo!!) - if I'm not welcome please all say so - I will happily return to my own little bubble!!! Good to see you Tony --- REALLY good - it CAN take guts to re-appear after a lengthy period --- meet yer sister!!! - Hi all!
    Originally posted by tonyniceday View Post
    Hi [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] I finally dropped off some time after 3....only to be woken about half hour later with leg cramps...I got them before...and that was the pattern of my night until I gave up on sleep about an hour ago.... well I remember all this and lets face it, it's entirely self-inflicted!
    Hello Army!!

Thought it about time I checked back in and to my surprise, saw the above posts! None guiltier that I for not being a regular poster. I'm not going to apologize for not being around - just a series of things - personal and professional that have me stressed to the limit over the past while and simply not my usual self. Stomach problems, not sleeping well, feeling stressed for no specific reason, (although there are plenty lurking in the background) and just a general feeling that I have nothing positive to say and nothing to contribute so easier to just stay away. Which is not right after all the years I've been a member here and the continuing support given by the regular posters. It's just that I feel that every time I come here - as now - it's a post only about me that I'll be writing and that's not what I feel I should be doing when I post. So that in a nutshell.

Molly -very glad to see your smiling face and to hear that you have some serenity in your life. How you manage with a full time job and four kids plus grandkids are beyond me but good on ya!

Tony - congrats on being AF! What Jackie said about the magnesium. It works wonders for the leg cramps and generally helps relax all your muscles which helps you sleep better.

Mary - my kids are 40 and 42 and they still think I haven't a clue about a lot of things. Yeah right. Just glad I don't have to deal with teenagers. Couldn't bear it these days - I think life was much simpler when mine were younger...

Satz - sorry to hear about your friend. 64 used to be old - now it's young. Hope things at chez Satz are calmer than the last time I checked in. Sorry, I haven't read back. What I'm saying is that I hope YS is not giving you grief these days.

Jackie - sorry to hear about your flare-up. You sure have had a hectic year both in good and bad ways. Hope you can get yourself healthier soon!

Paulywogg - sorry to hear about the Steppers thread. I actually thought it was a pretty strong thread with regular albeit few posters. Very sad when a thread that has been around so long dies out. Hope you are doing well.

Bridge - I expect you're in bed by now but good to see that you are still in fine form!!

Hello to Mr. G and to anyone I've missed. Wishing you all a great Sunday!!
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Well I'm back after working all day.
      MrS asked why I didn't go up to my mother - truth is I couldn't.
      Having been in the thick of it today for 8 hours - 85 residents + their families in & out FFS - I just couldn't face more dementia in my mother's care home ( I know I'm going to hell)

Yep that me being honest & I don't care.
      I came home to my jolly happy little Rosie ( Molls - she's my substitute grandchild)
      She just lives in the moment & just happy to see you & sit on your lap :love:
      Now we're both doing the lying in a darkened room routine. (noise-free , MrS-free ) bliss
      Last edited by satz123; August 25, 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Another quickie.........watching cricket highlights.
        [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]........Since the big 'discussion' Mr JC & his parents had, he's a lot more relaxed and enjoying going up the road for a cup of tea, a biscuit and a sit-down chat. And they're enjoying it too. They only saw the back of him while he was mowing the lawns.
        [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION], fab to see you. I'm waiting for the birds and the bees chat from Jenny & the S&H.
        Didn't get to the Mela, just couldn't be bothered to put proper clothes on and it was too hot.
        Peaky Blinders tonight..........country will be desperately trying Birmingham accents and failing
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
          Well I'm back after working all day.
          MrS asked why I didn't go up to my mother - truth is I couldn't.
          Having been in the thick of it today for 8 hours - 85 residents + their families in & out FFS - I just couldn't face more dementia in my mother's care home ( I know I'm going to hell)

Yep that me being honest & I don't care.
          I came home to my jolly happy little Rosie ( Molls - she's my substitute grandchild)
          She just lives in the moment & just happy to see you & sit on your lap :love:
          Now we're both doing the lying in a darkened room routine. (noise-free , MrS-free ) bliss
          Ahhh Rosie a wee doggie I take it? Good for you..and good for you recognising what you're able for with yer mum...there were a good few times I went home after a late shift rather than face the situation with my mum...always felt guilty but shouldn't have

Hey Stirly..and a little birdie tells me it's your birthday ..HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Quick check in tonight,

I was changing my bedsheets earlier and found the soap! I hadn't thought about it at all but it suddenly dawned on me....no cramps since it's been there!!! I've also been having plenty of water so I don't know which actually worked but hey, who cares...leg cramps gone for now

Comment

Thats nuts about the soap and leg cramps!! I am a skeptic on one hand, but have to concur that there are some things that cant be explained (yet).

Delighted to see everyone back again, [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION]. Stirls, Id say the opposite, you go out of your way to address everyone, its lovely. Just wave on the days your busy. Everyone here loves hearing about everyone, so dont be ridiculous. :no:
              Happy Birthday

Molly, its like you never left. How are all the family? Are you still thinking about retiring down to Kerry?

Forgot to tape PB [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]... feckidy feck feck.

Satz, dont put that pressure/guilt on yourself, dementia or not, your mam would much prefer you see you bouncing in on your day off..
              AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Hello all so sorry i have been awol. I got caught up with my hip recovery and working from home which is a double edged sword as having the works laptop there 24/7 takes over your life! At least I’m earning money again though!

Lovely to see you back Molls and tony.

Am away in a lovely little cottage near the sea at the moment. Internet is flaky but will read back and check in when i can

Comment

Good morning everyone. Great to see a full barracks again. As Mary said just wave Stirly. Real life often takes over but staying away can lead to a slippery slope. Looking forward to autumn and a return of some kind of routine.

Working full time this week and then it is back to normal.

Comment

Morning Starty and mary...are you delighted with your new hip now Starts?
                    No not Kerry anymore Mary...Joe thinks it's too far from family ( all grand at the minute PTL!!! - we've had some crises in last year)
                    So we're looking at Enniscrone now ...fear it may be a pipe dream tho ;-( how are all your youngsters? Getting to the hard work age yet???:egad:

Edit..reckon you're doing great Tony...even changing sheets seemed like a monumental task to me in early recovery....morning all else
                    Last edited by mollyka; August 26, 2019, 01:25 AM.
                    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by starty View Post
                      Hello all so sorry i have been awol. I got caught up with my hip recovery and working from home which is a double edged sword as having the works laptop there 24/7 takes over your life! At least I’m earning money again though!

Lovely to see you back Molls and tony.

Am away in a lovely little cottage near the sea at the moment. Internet is flaky but will read back and check in when i can
                      [FONT=Verdana][COLOR="#800080"]Good morning Army!!

Starty-Pants!!! So glad you got that hip replacement done. A neighbour of ours had it done a 2 years ago and a couple of months later he was back at the gym starting to work out again. The change in him was amazing to see. Hope all goes swimmingly with your recovery!
                      [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] - I think you have a very wise outlook as far as your Mom goes. She doesn't know whether it's Monday or Thursday when you visit, but you need to take care of yourself and be in the right frame of mind to see her. As for sweet Rosie - doggers are the best!!! Our Freddie is still missed even after 4 years....

Molls and Mary - thank you for the birthday wishes. Had a lovely, quiet birthday with greetings from friends and family from all over the world. It made me feel very special!! Even Mr. Stirly who never ever remembered the exact date of my birthday, remembered it this year!!

Well, I'm back at my desk. Started this post 45 minutes ago and just getting back to it now. Will try to catch up later. Happy Monday to all!! [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] - great job on your 100 days!!!
                      Last edited by stirly-girly; August 26, 2019, 03:54 AM.
                      For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                      AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

RESULT!

Got a GP appointment at 2.40pm today!

I was concerned as to whether the advice I got on getting a same day appointment would work,which is why I held back on passing it on. The facts speak for themselves, and clearly it worked....so...

1. Always remember that the person you talk to at the surgery is almost certainly having a very stressful day themselves, stay calm, empathise, be super-nice to them, and never, ever get cross with them.

2. If you can genuinely say this, then add a third party. In my case I had seen the ADA counsellor on Saturday and she had told me I needed to see my GP asap so I said that..

3. Whether or not 2 applies, downgrade your request by saying that you know these appointments are scarce but what you would like is the duty Doctor just to give you a quick call so that he/she can either put your mind at rest or arrange for you to be seen if they agree with you.

I only got to number 2 and got my appointment.

Why does this work? Well the Doctor has a duty of care to you. They are all about covering their own backsides and by 2 and 3 above you have subtly increased their responsibility under that duty of care so they almost HAVE to give you that apppointment.

I thought it all sounded too lame, and wouldn't work.....but it feckin did!
                        Last edited by tonyniceday; August 26, 2019, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Morning,
                          [MENTION=23019]tonyniceday[/MENTION].........my sister-in-law was a doctor's receptionist and retired at 55 she was so stressed out. She was a psychiatric nurse and said that was a doddle compared to reception.
                          The practice I mentioned has a triage (sp) nurse. So you can get to talk to her and you're guaranteed an appointment within a week.
                          Got the colofac.......it seems to be working (fingers crossed)
                          [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]........PB was amazing. Still full of blood, gore and violence........just the ticket for a Sunday night.
                          Totally unnecessary image of Cillian Murphy...........:heartbeat:
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                            ?:egad:.....Edit..reckon you're doing great Tony...even changing sheets seemed like a monumental task to me in early recovery....morning all else
                            But, Molly, I've been in an alcohol infused haze until last wek....I didn't say how long it was since they were last changed.....:eek-new:

Comment

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]
                              CONGRATULATIONS
                              ON YOUR
                              1500 days
                              Last edited by tonyniceday; August 26, 2019, 05:13 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]........now that's a roundy so its a cake day.

AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X