How many people here only drink socially

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many people here only drink socially

I did overdo the paracetamol with the drinking and I've had several blood tests since the bad one - they show fine.

Of course I am trying to rationalise my drinking because I don't want to lose my fun.

Regarding stopping I wish I could but I can't seem to because there's always a reason or social /sporting event coming up.

Comment

Kev,
      I ran back and grabbed a post of yours from sometime back, in fact, I looked at your start date and it's almost 5 years to the day that you joined us.
      You posted:
      "Blood test comes back with some liver damage

I recently gave a blood test after feeling some discomfort in my right side below the rib and it turns out I have some liver damage due to alcohol.
      I’ve to give another one in 4 weeks and naturally I won’t be drinking during that time which will tell me if there’s any improvement.

Has anyone else got bad news regarding liver function test/blood tests and what was the story?

I feel fine and I suspect it will heal after abstaining for a few weeks. I will also never drink again."

That last sentence is very telling. Why? Because as alcoholics, we vow NOT to drink but inevitably, we do. We make rules, we change them, we break those, say F-it, and so it goes. You've been at this for 5 years, as Molly says, this might be a good time to reflect on what you've gained over those 5 years. Has it been FUN or has it been a constant struggle? If you thought that
      paracetamol was causing your problems, I bet you could stop that tomorrow. But what if ALCHOL is the real problem? What then? There is only one answer and you're not going to like it. Alcohol is the problem, it doesn't matter if you only drink it in little pink cups, it is the problem...in ANY quantity, socially or alone. If alcohol were NOT the problem, then you could easily quit, right? How do I know all this? Bitter experience. I did just as you described for years, until it wasn't just socially, I HAD to have it. This is a progressive disease, as you know.
      I tried EVERY WAY in the world to make drinking fit into my life. I couldn't imagine life without AL! Honestly, I almost had rather die than give it up, so that's about what happened. I finally had to ask myself what was important. Trust me, you CAN have fun and a very full social life without AL. Life is BETTER without it, but that's hard to see when it has its hands around your throat. I KNOW how you feel, I know you don't want to give it up. I sure didn't. But life is so much more peaceful without that struggle. Let go and take that leap of faith. There isn't one person here that will tell you differently. As Narilly's byline says, you can have the life you want, or you can drink. It really is as simple as that. If we all COULD moderate, we would have done it. I felt 1000 times MORE deprived trying to watch it than I do having NONE.
      I wish I could save you years of anquish. You were 37 when you made that post above, you are now 42? Have you gained any ground with AL over this time? I wish I could show you my crystal ball and let you see what it did to me and how much better life can be for you if you just let it go.
      If I can help in any way, I'll do it. All the best, Byrdie
      Last edited by Byrdlady; October 7, 2019, 05:16 PM.
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you. I wish I could see it like you but I can’t help but enjoy it. It must have a hold round my throat. It will be easy to give up paracetamol like you said so at least that’s something I know not to touch – but the drink will always be there in a social setting.

I have just turned 38 not 42. It was 5 years since i came on the forum but had just turned 37 when i had the bad blood test in sep 2018.

Comment

Jeez Kev.. at your age I didn't have a whit of a problem with alcohol - do you want to just wait until your rock bottom wherever that may be and make giving up 'worth while' ? jaysus lad - yer old enough to have more sense -practically middle aged whether you like it or not - step back and look at what you're saying????!!
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

No I want to keep the drinking under control and continue to have a good time.
            I want to enjoy it safely. Many people even those older than me can drink more or greater amounts at a time and seem to be fine.
            I’ve never experienced a compulsion to drink when I wake up or to drink until I can no longer stand or remain awake. Yeah i did that a few times as a teenager or early 20s but not for a long time.
            Why should I give up a night in the pub having 4 beers in 3.5 hours and then going home? :love:

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
              No I want to keep the drinking under control and continue to have a good time.
              I want to enjoy it safely. Many people even those older than me can drink more or greater amounts at a time and seem to be fine.
              I’ve never experienced a compulsion to drink when I wake up or to drink until I can no longer stand or remain awake. Yeah i did that a few times as a teenager or early 20s but not for a long time.
              Why should I give up a night in the pub having 4 beers in 3.5 hours and then going home? :love:
              I'll ask the question again.............why are you on a website for alcoholics??? or whatever you want to call us...........dypsomanics, topers,barflies, winebibber.........yes I looked them up and there's many, may more.

Enjoy your life rather than hanging about with a bunch of us alkies.

We'll still be here if it gets to be a problem............brutal honestly here......... The answer you're seeking is not here............there is nothing we can advise apart from stop comparing yourself to others.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

maybe i should post on the moderators forum.

sorry to be of trouble

Comment

You aren't any trouble, Kev, we are trying to help you. Let's take a look at a few facts that we know:

You sought out, joined and have been participating in a site for alcoholics (for 5 years).
                  You have tried to stop and can't.
                  You've tried to control it and can't.
                  Your health has been affected.
                  You are having GREAT DIFFICULTY accepting life without AL.
                  While you may not have all of the symptoms of a Stage 4 alcoholic, you certainly have the hallmarks of a Stage 1 or 2.

When I was in college, I lived in a dormatory for a while. My suitemates appeared to be going out and having fun every night while I sat in the library studying my arse off. How could it be that THEY got to enjoy their college experience while I worked like a dog? Answer: It only APPEARED that EVERYONE was partying. When I really looked at it, one girl went out once a week, another went out at another time and on and on. Collectively, it looked like everyone was having a high ole time but me, but that wasn't the case at all. There was one girll next door who DID go out all the time, but she flunked out after 1 semester. The lesson is that we can't compare ourselves to others in a group. The GROUP has an identity of its own. In our case here on MWO, it's other drinkers. So many can have 1 or 2 and be done with it, even LEAVE some in the glass, but most of the ones I hung with have serious problems and JUST LIKE ME, they don't really advertise it. I was really good at hiding my problem, as you most likely are.

You may not have ALL of the trademarks of a Stage 4 Alcoholic, neither did I, but we are in the team photo nonetheless. There is some glory in quitting at Stage 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4! You get to save yourself years of declining health and increased obsession, job loss, etc. Just because you don't have symptom X and Y doesn't mean you aren't an alcoholic.
                  I am one, too, and I tell you what got in my way of stopping was acceptance and denial. I think this is what you may be experiencing, too. I didn't start out drinking in the morning or even drinking every day, it progressed, and there at the end, it progressed FAST.

I've been on this site for 10 years, and I have NEVER SEEN ANYONE moderate successfully long-term. That's just not the way this works. You can certainly try it, but notice there aren't many of those folks posting and if you read what they really say, they aren't moderating either. Moderation (for a male) is no more than 7 drinks a week. The problem with that idea is that as we try to CONTROL a substance designed to break down our defenses, we lose our defenses. After a couple, we lose our ability for control, and THAT'S the way AL works. That's why it's against the law to drive when you are drinking, your judgement is impaired, by its very design! For a person with an AL problem, that issue is compounded. We can't control the uncontrollable. I have seen 1000's of people put forth a valiant effort (myself included, heck, even the founder of this site!) and I have never seen success with moderation. Never. Not once. Ever. (and I've looked, heck, as an alkie, I WANT to see others succeed at it, that might mean I can, too!) but alas, I have never seen it. Once your brain has those pathways, you cannot change your DNA.

I know what is behind all of these defenses, it is FEAR of the unknown. Trust me, I had it, too. I'm in the business community and I live in a resort town, AL is everywhere and drinking is expected, or at least that's what I thought. Once you are able to step back from AL and it loosens its grip on you, you will see that you don't need it, never did. The fun guy you are trying to bring out has been there all along.

You are certainly welcome to fight this another 5 years, but we wouldn't be worth our salt if we didn't try and help you not waste these precious years. AL is not worth it and that's coming from a card carrying Alcoholic who LOVED drinking. There is no life in AL. Byrdie
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

I grabbed the 4 Stages of Alcoholism:

Originally Posted by mario
                    Alcoholism is a progressive degenerative disease that includes the Rfollowing four symptoms: craving, physical dependence, tolerance, and the loss of control.

Alcoholism is a complex topic that can be better understood when it is studied and assessed via the four alcoholism stages. And keep in mind that when the term "alcoholism" is used, this also means "alcohol addiction," "alcohol dependency," or "alcohol dependence."

Alcoholism: The First Stage

In the first stage of alcoholism, drinking is no longer social but becomes a means of emotional escape from inhibitions, problems, inhibitions. Stated differently, during the first stage of alcoholism, drinking is, in many instances, a psychological attempt to escape from reality. For instance, early in the disease an individual starts to depend on the mood-altering effects of alcohol.

Another observable characteristic of the first stage of alcoholism is that a slow and gradual increase in tolerance develops, meaning that more and more amounts of alcohol are needed for the individual to "get high" or to "feel the buzz." For example, it is common for problem drinkers in the first stage of alcoholism to start gulping one or two drinks before attending a social function and then to increase social drinking to 3 to 5 drinks per day.

Alcoholism: The Second Stage

In the second stage of alcoholism, the need to drink becomes more powerful. For example, it is common during this stage for the problem drinker to start to drink earlier in the day.

As tolerance increases, furthermore, the individual with the drinking problem drinks not because of psychological tension or stress relief, but because of his or her dependence on alcohol. During this stage of the disease, even though the "loss of control" does not occur on a regular basis, it is, nevertheless, starting to become more noticeable by others such as relatives, family members, neighbors, friends, and co-workers.

Also during this stage of the disease, the problem drinker may begin to feel more concerned and embarrassed about his or her drinking. Often during this stage, problem drinkers are unsuccessful in their attempts to stop drinking.

In this stage, physical symptoms such as hangovers, blackouts, hand tremors, and stomach problems increase. Interestingly, instead of seeing their drinking as the root of the many problems and issues they experience, however, drinkers with a drinking problem in this stage frequently start to blame others and things external to themselves for their difficulties.

Alcoholism: The Third Stage

In the third stage of alcoholism, the loss of control becomes more severe and more observable. This means that problem drinkers are unable to drink in accordance with their intentions. For example, once the individual takes the first drink, he or she commonly can no longer control further drinking behavior, in spite of the fact that the intent might have been to have just "one or two drinks." It should be stressed that an important aspect of this stage of the illness is the following: the drinker often starts to experience more serious drinking problems as well as alcohol-related employment, relationship, financial, and legal problems.

In the third stage of alcoholism, it is common for the problem drinker to start avoiding friends and family and to show a lack of interest in activities and events that once were fun or important. Also typical during this stage are "eye-openers," that is, drinks that are taken whenever the problem drinker awakens. Eye-openers are taken mainly to "calm the nerves," lessen a hangover, or to quiet the feelings of remorse the individual occasionally experiences after a period of time without consuming a drink.

As the drinking increases the individual with the drinking problem starts to neglect most things of importance, even necessities such as food, water, personal hygiene, shelter, and personal interaction. And finally, during this stage, the drinker often makes half-hearted attempts at getting professional medical assistance.

Alcoholism: The Fourth Stage

The fourth and last stage of alcoholism is characterized by a chronic loss of control. In the earlier stages of the illness, the problem drinker may have been successful in maintaining a job. Due to the fact that drinking during this stage frequently starts earlier in the day and commonly continues throughout the day, however, few, if any, full-time jobs can be maintained under these conditions.

In the earlier stages of the illness, the problem drinker had a choice whether he or she would take the first drink. After taking the first drink, the drinker typically lost all control and would then continue drinking. In the last stage of alcoholism, however, alcoholics no longer have a choice: they need to drink in order to function on a daily basis.

During the fourth stage of alcoholism, benders are typical. More to the point, in the fourth stage of alcoholism the alcoholic frequently gets helplessly drunk and may remain in this predicament for a number of days or weeks. The unattainable goal for the drinker while engaging in his or her bender is to experience the "high" they he or she once experienced.

In the second or third stages of alcoholism the drinker's hands may have trembled slightly on mornings after getting drunk the previous night. In the fourth and last stage of alcoholism, conversely, alcoholics get "the shakes" whenever they attempt or are forced to refrain from drinking.

These tremors are an indication of a serious nervous disorder that now affects the drinker's entire body. When "the shakes" are combined with hallucinations, furthermore, the result is known as "the DTs" or delirium tremens. The DTs are a potentially deadly kind of alcoholism withdrawal that almost always takes place unless the alcoholic receives immediate alcoholism treatment. It may come as no surprise that after an attack of the DTs, more than a few alcoholics promise to never drink again. Sadly, most of them do not and cannot fulfill their promise. Consequently, they more often than not return to drinking and the alcoholic drinking patterns and drinking problem start all over again.

From the information discussed above, it can be concluded that the four stages of alcoholism paint a bleak picture for individuals who are alcohol addicted. Perhaps learning about the destructive and damaging outcomes and the unhealthy nature of alcoholism may not make a much of an impact on most individuals who are already chronically alcohol dependent.

It is hoped, however, that by exposing the facts about alcohol dependency and about the stages of alcoholism to our youth BEFORE they start consuming alcohol in an abuse and irresponsible manner will prevent many of our teenagers from experiencing the drinking problems and the unhealthy and devastating realities suffered by most alcoholics

Finding a quality treatment program can be a difficult process. That's why it is important to log on & post here daily and of course other forums or organisations like this,
                    Last edited by Byrdlady; October 8, 2019, 09:28 AM.
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                      I grabbed the 4 Stages of Alcoholism:

Originally Posted by mario
                      Alcoholism is a progressive degenerative disease that includes the Rfollowing four symptoms: craving, physical dependence, tolerance, and the loss of control.

Alcoholism is a complex topic that can be better understood when it is studied and assessed via the four alcoholism stages. And keep in mind that when the term "alcoholism" is used, this also means "alcohol addiction," "alcohol dependency," or "alcohol dependence."

In the first stage of alcoholism, drinking is no longer social but becomes a means of emotional escape from inhibitions, problems, inhibitions. Stated differently, during the first stage of alcoholism, drinking is, in many instances, a psychological attempt to escape from reality. For instance, early in the disease an individual starts to depend on the mood-altering effects of alcohol.

Another observable characteristic of the first stage of alcoholism is that a slow and gradual increase in tolerance develops, meaning that more and more amounts of alcohol are needed for the individual to "get high" or to "feel the buzz." For example, it is common for problem drinkers in the first stage of alcoholism to start gulping one or two drinks before attending a social function and then to increase social drinking to 3 to 5 drinks per day.

Alcoholism: The Second Stage

In the second stage of alcoholism, the need to drink becomes more powerful. For example, it is common during this stage for the problem drinker to start to drink earlier in the day.

As tolerance increases, furthermore, the individual with the drinking problem drinks not because of psychological tension or stress relief, but because of his or her dependence on alcohol. During this stage of the disease, even though the "loss of control" does not occur on a regular basis, it is, nevertheless, starting to become more noticeable by others such as relatives, family members, neighbors, friends, and co-workers.

Also during this stage of the disease, the problem drinker may begin to feel more concerned and embarrassed about his or her drinking. Often during this stage, problem drinkers are unsuccessful in their attempts to stop drinking.

In this stage, physical symptoms such as hangovers, blackouts, hand tremors, and stomach problems increase. Interestingly, instead of seeing their drinking as the root of the many problems and issues they experience, however, drinkers with a drinking problem in this stage frequently start to blame others and things external to themselves for their difficulties.

Alcoholism: The Third Stage

In the third stage of alcoholism, the loss of control becomes more severe and more observable. This means that problem drinkers are unable to drink in accordance with their intentions. For example, once the individual takes the first drink, he or she commonly can no longer control further drinking behavior, in spite of the fact that the intent might have been to have just "one or two drinks." It should be stressed that an important aspect of this stage of the illness is the following: the drinker often starts to experience more serious drinking problems as well as alcohol-related employment, relationship, financial, and legal problems.

In the third stage of alcoholism, it is common for the problem drinker to start avoiding friends and family and to show a lack of interest in activities and events that once were fun or important. Also typical during this stage are "eye-openers," that is, drinks that are taken whenever the problem drinker awakens. Eye-openers are taken mainly to "calm the nerves," lessen a hangover, or to quiet the feelings of remorse the individual occasionally experiences after a period of time without consuming a drink.

As the drinking increases the individual with the drinking problem starts to neglect most things of importance, even necessities such as food, water, personal hygiene, shelter, and personal interaction. And finally, during this stage, the drinker often makes half-hearted attempts at getting professional medical assistance.

Alcoholism: The Fourth Stage

The fourth and last stage of alcoholism is characterized by a chronic loss of control. In the earlier stages of the illness, the problem drinker may have been successful in maintaining a job. Due to the fact that drinking during this stage frequently starts earlier in the day and commonly continues throughout the day, however, few, if any, full-time jobs can be maintained under these conditions.

In the earlier stages of the illness, the problem drinker had a choice whether he or she would take the first drink. After taking the first drink, the drinker typically lost all control and would then continue drinking. In the last stage of alcoholism, however, alcoholics no longer have a choice: they need to drink in order to function on a daily basis.

During the fourth stage of alcoholism, benders are typical. More to the point, in the fourth stage of alcoholism the alcoholic frequently gets helplessly drunk and may remain in this predicament for a number of days or weeks. The unattainable goal for the drinker while engaging in his or her bender is to experience the "high" they he or she once experienced.

In the second or third stages of alcoholism the drinker's hands may have trembled slightly on mornings after getting drunk the previous night. In the fourth and last stage of alcoholism, conversely, alcoholics get "the shakes" whenever they attempt or are forced to refrain from drinking.

These tremors are an indication of a serious nervous disorder that now affects the drinker's entire body. When "the shakes" are combined with hallucinations, furthermore, the result is known as "the DTs" or delirium tremens. The DTs are a potentially deadly kind of alcoholism withdrawal that almost always takes place unless the alcoholic receives immediate alcoholism treatment. It may come as no surprise that after an attack of the DTs, more than a few alcoholics promise to never drink again. Sadly, most of them do not and cannot fulfill their promise. Consequently, they more often than not return to drinking and the alcoholic drinking patterns and drinking problem start all over again.

From the information discussed above, it can be concluded that the four stages of alcoholism paint a bleak picture for individuals who are alcohol addicted. Perhaps learning about the destructive and damaging outcomes and the unhealthy nature of alcoholism may not make a much of an impact on most individuals who are already chronically alcohol dependent.

It is hoped, however, that by exposing the facts about alcohol dependency and about the stages of alcoholism to our youth BEFORE they start consuming alcohol in an abuse and irresponsible manner will prevent many of our teenagers from experiencing the drinking problems and the unhealthy and devastating realities suffered by most alcoholics

Finding a quality treatment program can be a difficult process. That's why it is important to log on & post here daily and of course other forums or organisations like this,
                      Byrdlady
                      Thanks.

I read the 4 stages you mentioned and I really don’t think i’m even at stage 1. I must be at stage 0 which is the one before and the one that all so called “normal” social drinkers are at.

In the first stage of alcoholism, drinking is no longer social but becomes a means of emotional escape from inhibitions, problems, inhibitions

I’ve almost never used drink in any setting except social. If I did it might have been a little bottle of beer infront of the tv a handful of times.

Another observable characteristic of the first stage of alcoholism is that a slow and gradual increase in tolerance develops,

If anything my tolerance has gone down after hitting the 30s. I’m also being more selective with my nights out and having gaps in my drinking. No way would I want to have a session with work the next day.

Thank you again for sharing this. Very interesting though.
                      Last edited by scotskev81; October 8, 2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X