October Army Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: October Army Thread 2019

Feel like a harbinger of doom here. A lad I used to volunteer with who went on to be a paid alcohol/drug support worker died yesterday. 48 years old........leaving three daughters under 15. I'd know from his FB page he'd started drinking again and he'd spent the last two years in and out of hospital with at first minor things........... a fall, bruising, broken arm.........then onto kidney failure...then his page went silent. Hadn't seen him in the last couple of years....
    It is not just your liver that alcohol affects its every organ in your body so getting a healthy liver report is okay but think about all your other precious its and pieces, like your kidneys, heart.
    It doesn't take into account colour, creed, sex or age.........it kills.

To quote our Satz............"If you drank or are still drinking and waiting to be sober before posting that is MENTAL in my opinion"

Now the mundane...........Mr JC didn't need the whole morning off the plasterer only took an hour. The walls are like silk and I'm envious of this bloke's skill. All I bought in town were two custard slices............and they're both mine.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

You deserve them JC after all the baking and the wonderful cake you made for Stirly. Glad work is done. So sad about that guy and a good reminder to us all of what might happen if we were to ever have any idea of returning to our old ways.

Crochet class today, always enjoy. Feet up now doing a autumnal throw which I am thoroughly enjoying. Lovely colors and lots of different stitches. Watching new tv series that I recorded, #perfect Friday night.

Comment

Morning from tomorrow loves.

Agree with everything except the hard work [MENTION=6034]caysea[/MENTION] Being a drunk is much harder work than being nice and sober. I don't even like 'nice' as a word, but it is nice. Talk about making a rod for your own back, struggling through every day exhausted and sick, that horrible acidic nausea, worrying about how you might smell like an old alky because surely most of your body composition is now alcohol. I'll never go back. Never. Caught up with my cousin last weekend as I mentioned. She is also another old drinking buddy. Told her I'm back on the wagon for good-without the detail of why I pole-vaulted off the wagon. Wasn't I surprised when she told me she was 12 months sober? Amazing where you find unexpected allies. As mentioned, our third cousin (of the evil triad) is still in big trouble, so maybe we can influence her? Still, as we know, you've got to be ready in your own right.

It's like the Hunger Games this, isn't it JC? Only some of us will survive.
        And most of it is within our own control. Imagine dying at 48 because of a filthy liquid? Those poor kids.

Yes I second Satzy! If you are lurking and you've been drinking just get back here. I can personally testify to the foolhardiness of going it alone.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

That is very sad [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION].. how long had he been sober for? Poor man. Poor family. Wasted life.
          Thats great Bridge having your cousin on your side. 12 months, shes serious. Presume the third cousin is the mother of the recent groom (not a 2nd cousin, once removed, married to your aunts husbands brother)?
          One particular person really influenced me to stop drinking and she would have no idea of it. She didnt 'not drink', it just wasnt her thing. A very occasional half glass of wine maybe. But she was the best craic, engaging conversation and you could hear her laugh in the next county.
          She moved house 2 years ago, but her presence in the early days made a great impact on me.
          AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Hola friends,

Sorry to hear that sad news JC. From what i see over and over again, it's not only russian roulette as to when you will strike complications, it seems to be mostly guaranteed that you will experience serious health issues eventually. especially the way we drink. When we booze as our number 1 coping mechanism, then that usually means we want to escape, get numb. And that means a lot of alcohol/poison regularly ingested. As me aul mucka buddha says - 'Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional'.

Stirly whirlblaster! happy 4 years! Congratulations mi amiga. Wowza!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi and bye.off to town - talk later xx
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Off to get a new car key. Wish I'd caught you sooner ,Molls, you could have picked it up for me
                Defo talk later.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
                  Morning from tomorrow loves.

Agree with everything except the hard work [MENTION=6034]caysea[/MENTION] Being a drunk is much harder work than being nice and sober. I don't even like 'nice' as a word, but it is nice. Talk about making a rod for your own back, struggling through every day exhausted and sick, that horrible acidic nausea, worrying about how you might smell like an old alky because surely most of your body composition is now alcohol. I'll never go back. Never. Caught up with my cousin last weekend as I mentioned. She is also another old drinking buddy. Told her I'm back on the wagon for good-without the detail of why I pole-vaulted off the wagon. Wasn't I surprised when she told me she was 12 months sober? Amazing where you find unexpected allies. As mentioned, our third cousin (of the evil triad) is still in big trouble, so maybe we can influence her? Still, as we know, you've got to be ready in your own right.

It's like the Hunger Games this, isn't it JC? Only some of us will survive.
                  And most of it is within our own control. Imagine dying at 48 because of a filthy liquid? Those poor kids.

Yes I second Satzy! If you are lurking and you've been drinking just get back here. I can personally testify to the foolhardiness of going it alone.
                  :applause: Great post Bridge ......
                  though pole vaulting off the wagon made me laugh out loud :hahaha:

Comment

Evening! - Just home - had a lovely day - so good catching up with my friend - it's funny - we both said we'd give our right arm to be back in Aiseirí right now for 28 days!! dunno how we'd manage it bar 'vaulting off the wagon' -- but yeah - we had so much fun - and tears - and laughs - and soul searching - as I've said before - to have 28 days to JUST deal with 'self' and nothing else - what a treasure!!!
                    Two neighbours popped their clogs today -- jaysus - hope this one doesn't come in three's

Comment

There seems to be an epidemic of clog popping........just checked its not me today. PTL.

We've been without a spare car key for over a year. Its one of those electric doo dah things and it broke. I went to the car manufacturer and they couldn't fix it then quoted £450+ for a new one. Managed to find a wee place that would fix the old one for £50..........in the logic only a woman would understand I now have £400 to play with.

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION].......nothing better than talking to another addict.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Like your logic JC. Also had a lovely day. Outing with crochet group. Coffee, Wool shopping and lunch. Tired now and ready for the leaba. Night everyone.

Comment

Evening all. HAd a big old doss of a day.
                          Spent money I didn't have - on clothes & shoes I don't need :egad: (cos I go nowhere)

Looks like I have to dress up in finery to visit my mother in the care home tomorrow

Comment

Morning Goyles and Papa G :heartbeat:

I just checked my clogs and they're still on so good to go with that chalk paint furniture project that I started last night.

I can't believe you lost two neighbours in one week Molly. Put it together with JC and this has been a bad month for it.

Yes Mers, this is the mother of the groom cousin. Steeling myself for a conversation with her later on today our time. I know she'll be shitfaced and seriously - no time for it any more. Don't want to listen to the crap. I think it's drunk karma, all the total shit I must have dribbled to people over the year. Doing penance now.

Sounding like 400 squids worth of fun and pampering to me, JC. A pair of wine shoes? A vodka facial? Satz knows how it's done.:congratulatory:

Sounds like a full and wholesome day Rusters. I wish I had the patience to try your hobbies but even painting is testing me.
                            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Oh crikey Bridge....I'm not a caring person like Jackie...Just the fact they both died on same day ..Joe will go to funerals ...
                              Morning all!

Comment

Ah Molls you HAVE to go to the funerals. :egad:
                                Jesus you are worser than me so - or maybe I'm just bullied into it.
                                But you find out LOADS from the priest about the person you thought you knew

He knows nothing about me - so my service will be short.....
                                I saw a sermon from the pope on facebook & was about to poo poo it but read it instead and to my surprise it was good.
                                (Pity though he doesn't practice what he preaches....)

Seeing as it's Sunday - I'll dig it out .......
                                Last edited by satz123; October 13, 2019, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X