October Army Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: October Army Thread 2019

Yup I am a guilty one for keeping disappearing. I have thought long and hard why that is and cannot yet come up with a decent answer. I do miss the old days when MWO was busy and exciting as everyone does. I even miss the awful bits as they got the adrenaline going. But cannot tell you why sometimes I feel like posting and reading and sometimes I just dont. I do get it though if one is a regular poster and then goes missing, it is worrying and not very fair. So I do apologise for that.

My world has been rocked over the last few weeks as I found Mr S has been drinking loads and hiding bottles of vodka. Over the last year or so I have found 3 bottles but it was always followed by a reason and promises that it wouldnt happen again. How I believed it knowing what I know I have no idea. Denial perhaps. I had been worrying a bit about his behaviour as he was constantly falling asleep and seemed disinterested in life and I sometimes thought I heard a bottle being opened but as I couldnt find anything I put it down the to squeakings of the reclining sofa! Mad I know. Anyway just before hospital appt for polyp removals I found another bottle and confronted him. Usual tears and promises until the day before op and it happened again. I was done. I am not going through what I went through as a child living with an alcoholic and was in a terrible state trying to think of my options. Again promises and apologies but I had had it. I know that an addict has to want to do it for themselves and I know full well that what anyone else says doesnt matter if it doesnt come from within so I realised it was not my battle to fight anymore. Just withdrew and focussed on what I could do and my options. So where are we now? He is sober for the last 2 weeks. Is much more engaged with life. I think that the cancer scare and the state of his bowels has literally scared him shitless and he knows he has to change his whole life and so far seems determined to do that. (he has had the all clear last week thank god but needs monitoring each year) We are talking much more about addiction too and the sober life. I realise that its not me who will keep him sober but something only he can do. He is even going to tell his parents about it although will give an abridged version as doesnt want to worry them too much. Lets see what the future holds

Comment

Morning,
      [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION]..........bless your heart. You know if he'd been having a few too many in front of you then it would have been a sort of normal re-action to bad news for a great many. Then the great many (whoever they are) just stop when the craps gone or explanable and managable........we are not the 'great many'...its the hiding that's very worrisome.
      You've done the best thing by airing your concerns, you've had you fair share of.......to put it nicely inconvenience. Look after you. :hug:
      Keep the dialogue open and honest.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION].............no idea where it came from. I knew it was a bit itchy and I hate anti-biotics with a passion.
        At least its not on my chest.
        Got Jenny, Ads and Buddy arriving this evening for the weekend. One set of Mr JC's cousins are over from the States, the other lot from the South of France and they would love to take us all out for a meal. Much as I'd love to see them can I just do a peep out from under the duvet and wave?
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Yep its me or the booze for both our sakes really. It might be the making of him. He has never acknowledged before or even shared his reasons for crossing the line. He said that he doesnt really know if its boredom, stress, habit or what but he knows he can never drink again. He also pointed out that since he was 16 he/we have both taken mind altering substances and has never really had a break from it all. All quite encouraging so hoping he is on the sober wagon with me for good now. It has affected me greatly and tbh feel permanently exhausted just now.

Sorry about your ear infection. They are nasty things so you best look after it.

I am off next week to see a surgeon about lens implants which is very exciting. Cannot wait. If all ok it will be the fourth surgery that me and him will have had this year. All in all the year has been a challenge and will not be sorry to say bye bye to it.

Comment

Oh I thought they were all staying with you Jacks! at least they just bringing you out for grub!
            Poor Starty - how difficult to go through it all again with himself.. not sure how great I'd be...expected kindness and tolerance and understanding for myself - would I have the same for someone else?? probably not... fair dues to you....it's great he has accepted that he has a problem too..

Late check in today - was out on the bike - up to Carlingford and over the Mournes - it was truly gorgeous - some dark clouds rolling in now tho so we deffo got the best of the day..

Tell us ALL bout the lens implants Starts? Would they replace vari-focals do you know?? AND HOW MUCH??? (not nosy me:congratulatory
            Last edited by mollyka; October 18, 2019, 08:26 AM.
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Evening everyone. Poor Starty, am not surprised you want to see the back of this year. It can only get better and at least it is out in the open. Hope you are feeling better JC. Like those kind of visitors, pity you are not well enough to go out.

The Mournes are on my list for hiking Molly. No rain here but was torrential in Dublin. Have a long hike planned for tomorrow so will be having an early night. Taped the new RTE drama series, Dublin murders so watching that first. Night everyone.

Comment

Molls the lens implants I believe can replace varifocals but from what I have read I think I would prefer mono ones and still have reading glasses as they tend to give better vision. I will of course take the advice of surgeon. Around £4000 I think.

Rustop, Dublin murders is brilliant! Loving the first 2 episodes

Comment

Originally posted by rustop59 View Post
                  Evening everyone. Poor Starty, am not surprised you want to see the back of this year. It can only get better and at least it is out in the open. Hope you are feeling better JC. Like those kind of visitors, pity you are not well enough to go out.

The Mournes are on my list for hiking Molly. No rain here but was torrential in Dublin. Have a long hike planned for tomorrow so will be having an early night. Taped the new RTE drama series, Dublin murders so watching that first. Night everyone.
                  Love the Mournes - we've investigated most roads/lanes/paths through them either on bike or foot over the years.. mind you - still get that sort of shivers down my spine feeling - reminds me of what it was like in the middle of the troubles - even driving through them on the main thoroughfare in the car - it used to feel (and probably rightly so) watched - both by Provo's and UVF hiding up there and the British army... scary times.. all so different now - long may it last!!

Originally posted by starty View Post
                  Molls the lens implants I believe can replace varifocals but from what I have read I think I would prefer mono ones and still have reading glasses as they tend to give better vision. I will of course take the advice of surgeon. Around £4000 I think.

Rustop, Dublin murders is brilliant! Loving the first 2 episodes
                  ahhh I understand.. a bit like contacts don't work so well that way either - problem I have is with my job - I need to be able to read from all angles - book shelves high up low down and sideways!!!:egad: Think I'll have to stick with my specs... my long distance is grand - don't need them for driving
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Why dont you have laser surgery? I think its cheaper and it will sort your reading vision

Comment

The ex-pats stay in hotels. PTL. Going to try for a Sunday lunch out............I fade in the afternoon.
                      21 minutes until Buddy and his entourage arrive so having a mad tidy to put anything he can chew/run away with, play tug of war out of sight. Beagles never, ever grow old..............they're bonkers until they die.
                      Timed my flu jab nicely between games tomorrow. I know rugby they clash and bash themselves about but its a proper gentleman's game and I love it. I just want England to have a more fierce anthem. Our haka would involve brollies and picnic baskets.
                      Last edited by JackieClaire; October 18, 2019, 05:50 PM.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening all. In from work & straight to the leaba - fecked.com

Welcome back Starts - you were missed :hug:
                        Another :hug: for what you & MrS are going through at present. I think it's worse when the addict is someone else. At least when it's ourselves & our addiction we have some modicum of control over how it will end.
                        Watching someone else is so very difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                          Much as I'd love to see them can I just do a peep out from under the duvet and wave?
                          I laughed at this because it reminded me of this :
                          Fawlty Towers: Polly dresses as Sybil - YouTube

Comment

Great to see you [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION] and Im sorry to hear about MrS. He's lucky he has someone by his side who 'gets' it, I know my husband didnt have a clue when I laid it out. 'Cut back' and 'just drink at the weekend' were not very helpful.
                            I didnt bother sharing with anyone else then.. until I found MWO.
                            Will he get involved with a group? AA maybe?

Took today off to get my hair done and do a few other bits. The hairdresser cancelled just before my appointment! Not the first time either. Got it done else where and decided that I wont be going back after 10years with her. But I felt a bit joyous all day, back on the hair market.. should have done it years ago :happy2:
                            AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Bloody Hell. Families. Now brother is in hospital and we're running around like hairy goats.
                              Reading back!
                              Last edited by byebyebridgetjones; October 18, 2019, 05:36 PM.
                              If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                              Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Right I just lost a big post and I have got the shits so badly that I'm coming back tonight instead.....
                                If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                                Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Working...
                                X