Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have now quit for good

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
    Did anyone else lose weight when they stopped?
    Yo Kev.

Great job on 2 weeks/14 days sober. How do u feel? Yes, i lost some weight. Main difference was my puffiness, bloated look, redness, and my whole body including face changed and toned up a fair bit. I became a leaner meaner AF fighting machine. lol. At day 490 or something today, i can say it only gets better and better. But as Satz says, what we eat has an impact of course. And more self awareness as a result of not boozing/taking care of ourselves often means we start to look at what we eat with more care.

Have a great week mi amigo.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
      Yo Kev.

Great job on 2 weeks/14 days sober. How do u feel? Yes, i lost some weight. Main difference was my puffiness, bloated look, redness, and my whole body including face changed and toned up a fair bit. I became a leaner meaner AF fighting machine. lol. At day 490 or something today, i can say it only gets better and better. But as Satz says, what we eat has an impact of course. And more self awareness as a result of not boozing/taking care of ourselves often means we start to look at what we eat with more care.

Have a great week mi amigo.
      Thank you. I'm not overweight as only weigh about 11.7 stone / 74kg but looking to get a better face and rid of small bit of stomach.
      I have given up bread and carbs and now using a nutriblend to get healthy things into my diet. I did always eat plenty fruit & veg but it was the rubbish that went with it - plus the alcohol of course. Have also quit eating sugar apart from small amount of fruit.

I did binge on takeways the 1st 5 days of this year because I was still off work and such, but I did not have any alcohol since about 3am on 1st of Jan. :-)

happy days forward i think. xxxx
      Last edited by scotskev81; January 16, 2020, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Well done Kev...you really are doing great..I remember someone long ago who posted on the Army thread who set her quit date for 1st Jan ..at the time I thought it was just new year enthusiasm like the gym ..but nope she's now sober 9 or 10 years....so keep on keeping on!!!!
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Yes I will keep going. Thank you all.

There is no pain in my right side anymore. It was never a bad pain but more like you can just feel something there

xxx

Comment

am wanting to drink again. :-( but also kind of don't. How do you deal with cravings?

Bare in mind am craving for a night out rather than just drinking like a madman

Comment

Hi,

I had nights out without drinking - I wonder how you feel about that?

1. Eat ahead of time.
              2. Make sure you have a FIRM commitment not to drink. If you need, develop an excuse - you're on antibiotics, you have a stomach issue. Or what I said which is that I quit drinking for a month and felt so good I kept it going.
              3. Have an exit plan. Drive yourself, or know how you're getting home so you can leave whenever you want.

If you have the slightest feeling you will drink, don't go. It is easy to look at drinking through rose colored glasses. Remember how bad you felt, make a list of the good things you feel - whichever is motivating.

Stay firm. If you want a faster response, try a busier thread - there are a couple.

You got this,
              Pav

Comment

Thank you. good advice

Comment

well sadly, i don't think i'll be quitting for good as going on a birthday bash round the pubs soon. am happy i've mangned 44 days so far and will be at least 60 by the time this event comes around.

Will keep u updated but can't see it lasting forever as I once predicted. Being honest is key i suppose :-(

Comment

Just a curious experiment for you may be to go out with some friends, and don't drink. Watch how the behavior of some of your friends may change throughout the night, and perhaps you may see it through a different color lens than before? When I recently went out with some co-workers, and watching how behavior changes... silly stories that shouldn't be shared are blurted out, another guy starts every sentence with, "ya know what?"..... to be honest, I was a little impatient and yet embarrassed because I know that was ME 5 months ago.

Being honest is key- this is your thread, after all, and it may help you to read what your own thoughts above before you make any decisions.
                    For me, when I was sick and tired of being "sick and tired", I hit my final quit button. I had quit several times before, but I had always thought of it as "quitting for now", so in retrospect, I knew it wasn't a lifelong commitment. With that being said, every AF day is a gift for your body to recover, so don't stop yet. :happy2:
                    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                    :hug:

Comment

i've stayed sober before and seen drunk friends. it is an eye opening experience and sometimes you can see people change after only a few drinks.

Amazing. It's true that it does make you glad you are not acting like them but it's different when you are feeling the drug itself in that setting. By that setting I mean out having fun as oppose to sitting drinking by yourself indoors.

I'm glad I've managed so many days alcohol free so far.

Comment

I have to report I did drink on Saturday. Just a few pints over the course of the night (bout 6 in 9 hours) not an excessive amount by any means. Didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought probably because I didn't get off my face drunk - no where near it.

At least I can be glad I did 53 days drink free which is the longest.

Comment

53 days is great! i'm on day 54 now.

so now what are you going to do? learn from this and start again, with a better plan?
                          one of the things that helps me a lot is posting in the newbies nest, where there are some very experienced people responding to your posts on a daily basis. i think connection is key to lasting sobriety.

hey dear scotskev, i wonder: is "Will keep u updated but can't see it lasting forever as I once predicted. Being honest is key i suppose" an excuse for feeling yourself succumb to the lure of addiction while not making plans to stop yourself? it's like you were giving yourself permission before you were actually drinking.

hope you'll pick up where you left. i guess you didn’t choose the name for your thread without reasons..
                          Last edited by julia1970; February 24, 2020, 04:21 PM.
                          AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

thank you.

I'm going to treat drinking in the same way as having CHEAT DAYS when dieting. Largely will do most drinking when out of town on some sort of do i.e. a stag do or party.

Then take some time off again until I fall off the wagon. Still kind proud of my 53 days. I will be drinking this weekend but not sure after that

Comment

for me 'cheat days' for me were more like a one way ticket back to alcohol hell. sometimes i managed to moderate for a short period, but the floodgates would surely fly. i've lost decades of my life like that.

hope you'll manage. take care!
                              AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Originally posted by julia1970 View Post
                                for me 'cheat days' for me were more like a one way ticket back to alcohol hell. sometimes i managed to moderate for a short period, but the floodgates would surely fly. i've lost decades of my life like that.

hope you'll manage. take care!
                                thank you. will take care.

Comment

Working...
                                X