Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: International Army Mayl 2020

Originally posted by brit View Post
    Good afternoon Some great posts and great advice Molly, Jackie and Stirly. It is such hard work but so wonderful to be your authentic self.
    Weather here gone downhill and I am still feeling rough-- It isn't the virus it is probably a kind of depression and I am going to try some relaxation stuff.
    Sorry to have missed your birthday Mary--I hope you had a great lockdown day.
    Aww Mrs A - :hug: take care of yourself. Can you get out running yet ? - you are probably missing the camaraderie that you get when running in a group ?

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
      I met a lovely man once and he reckoned that in the wake of the Great Famine that almost wiped out the Irish population - those who didn't die or go on the boats to US - were very hardy and their descendants are still here.
      So takes a lot to kill them
      I think there is a bit of truth in that... and don't forget -- up to about 100 years ago we were almost entirely rural with no state aid for anything -- we HAD no state - virtually 3rd world conditions really - and the people WERE tough -- and even our generation - we were reared by parents who had had it tough - no one had any money really - except the Anglo-Irish - certainly wasn't MY lot anyways -- and it does -- well I think - it HAS to make you tougher... I'm guessing Jacks will say that the north of England would be something similar? And Scotland too... dunno the Coronavirus figures for just the north of England but Scotland and ours are fairly ok..... -- interesting..

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
      Aww Mrs A - :hug: take care of yourself. Can you get out running yet ? - you are probably missing the camaraderie that you get when running in a group ?
      MrsA I bounced in earlier and truly didn't see your post - I'm so sorry - it would be amazing if you didn't have some mental health difficulty - you've had a harrowing few years - and now not to be able to fully indulge in your 'release' (running) is very hard for you.. :heartbeat:
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by brit View Post
        Good afternoon Some great posts and great advice Molly, Jackie and Stirly. It is such hard work but so wonderful to be your authentic self.
        Weather here gone downhill and I am still feeling rough-- It isn't the virus it is probably a kind of depression and I am going to try some relaxation stuff.
        Sorry to have missed your birthday Mary--I hope you had a great lockdown day.
        Come here a minute, :angelpals: I'm only a text away.

The weather is changing for the better.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION]
          Too true,
          My family backgrounds were all miners and Mr. JC's shipbuilders. Paid peanuts for risking their lives every day. Cannon fodder in both wars......... In fact any industrial town. Think of the Jarrow march. Treated like crap by the hoi polloi.
          Queen Victoria used to close the curtains on her Royal train so she didn't have to look at the starving p;ebs.
          Not that we're bitter
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
            [MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION]
            Too true,
            My family backgrounds were all miners and Mr. JC's shipbuilders. Paid peanuts for risking their lives every day. Cannon fodder in both wars......... In fact any industrial town. Think of the Jarrow march. Treated like crap by the hoi polloi.
            Queen Victoria used to close the curtains on her Royal train so she didn't have to look at the starving p;ebs.
            Not that we're bitter
            Don't doubt you bout that aul bag..she 'closed the curtains' on the Irish famine .. piece o' work that one!...bitter??? Moi???:belchha:

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
              Don't doubt you bout that aul bag..she 'closed the curtains' on the Irish famine .. piece o' work that one!...bitter??? Moi???:belchha:
              :lmao2: Naw neither are we.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

So....basically we're two tough aul bags with a mutual loathing of herself....and I challenge any poxy virus to get the better of us:applouse::applouse:to
                Night folks. WAY past this ladies bedtime!!! Xx

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                  So....basically we're two tough aul bags with a mutual loathing of herself....and I challenge any poxy virus to get the better of us:applouse::applouse:to
                  Night folks. WAY past this ladies bedtime!!! Xx
                  :victorious: yes you both are and agree totally about Victoria. :hug: Brit, hang in there. It is hard but feel free to come here and vent, that’s what we are here for. Working week over, can’t believe this has been going on now for two months. Night all.

Comment

Daughter is well, recovering and no longer in pain. Sat in Day Surgery waiting with her from 7am to 7pm and she finally went in at 7.30pm last night. Sould be able to bring her home today.

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] here 2 good explanations while waiting in the hosp with kiddo: In a nutshell What is the Ketogenic Diet (in a Nutshell)? - YouTube
                    Basics Explained (18 mins) Keto In A Nutshell - YouTube (there is even a sock puppett LOL)
                    Key benefit for me is “less driven by hunger”. After being on this diet i realised my whole relationship with food was F'd up and addictive.
                    Young people enjoy the opportunity to eat as much bacon, fried chicken, cheese and whipped cream as they can. I personally prefer to get my fat from fish, olive oil, avocados and lots of nuts. You can eat as much green veg and salad as you can, as well as lower carb fruits like berries. Once you’ve reached goal weight you can eat any fruit and veg. Just keep serving sizes of high carb fruits or veg lower and don’t binge on sugary fruits. If you do have a binge one day on grapes or somethning, just go back on the diet the next day. Don't do it too often or you confuse your metabolism. Food lists and eating plans can be found on the Atkins Diet website under 'Induction Phase 1' https://au.atkins.com/static/default...ood%20List.pdf (you don't have to subscribe) and heaps of talks/motivation on youtube. I will check out the one NS has recommended too

[MENTION=24493]outofchances[/MENTION], it sounds like you are right to put limits on how often you see your family. If it were just your wife giving you put downs that would be bad enough, but the kids as well, then that would be very hurtful. Building up is what you need at this point, not putting down. I use the books to give myself that positive input and try to develop a lot of positive self talk. Staying away from anyone who talks you down is important. Have you started on the Korb book? He gives tools to reverse the downward spiral of depression an turn it into an upwards spiral. Another book that's very helpful and on audio is Russell Brand's 'Recovery'. He had done a lot of bad things and had to come to terms with himself. You need to identify what you were giving to yourself by drinking and then replace it. I started listening to audiobooks as a way of dealing with loneliness. It is good company and self education at the same time! You are doing great to be not drinking through this very tough time. Take good care of yourself and stay strong :smileya:
                    Last edited by fickle; May 12, 2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Evening all,
                      Sorry to read about your daughter [MENTION=4040]fickle[/MENTION]. Glad shes recovering well. I had my first brush with teenage drinking a few weeks back, so Im right behind you:eek-new:

I missed loads of chat since yesterday, weddings date moved Satz, you'll have to take in that guna after all that Keto! [MENTION=22839]brit[/MENTION], you have been a rock, Im not surprised you are out of sorts :hug:
                      Thinking about you too Chances. Seriously well done, YOU are doing brilliant.

Thanks for all the lovely birthday wishes.. xxx
                      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

[MENTION=4040]fickle[/MENTION] & NS thanks a million for the info. I'll set aside an hour or two tomorrow to get re aquainted with it all ....

Mers : 'bout time ye came in - - where ye bin ? where ye wheelie bin.?
                        Shall I tell my joke again ? :haha:

Comment

JC, I just had a few tears about Nigel. He is the same age as my girl and I'm in pure dread about 'it' and Nigel and your black Bess. It won't be the same.
                          [MENTION=4040]fickle[/MENTION] - the little buggers - but the first thing I thought was exactly what [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION] did - thank God you were sober and able to deal. Boy I've thanked the Sobriety deities many times over the last decade.

No shortage of excellent reading material and Youtubery recommendations around here lately.

Back later. More Zooming and Webex to do.
                          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Morning all...howdy Bridgey!
                            Glad to hear your daughter is on mend Fickle..had too many to count instances like that over the history of rearing 4 kids...not easy..but they got through in the end and are now all relatively contributory members of society:victorious:
                            Beautiful morning here..the beach beckons!!

Comment

Good morning Molly and all to come. Send some of that sun over here, very dull. Good news indeed Fickle. Trying to motivate myself to clean the house but reading and crocheting seem more appealing. Was meant to be flying to Lisbon today with my crochet group. Different times.

Comment

Originally posted by rustop59 View Post
                                Good morning Molly and all to come. Send some of that sun over here, very dull. Good news indeed Fickle. Trying to motivate myself to clean the house but reading and crocheting seem more appealing. Was meant to be flying to Lisbon today with my crochet group. Different times.
                                Sad isn't it! Could be a long while I'm guessing...they are saying now (even if we ARE willing to sit in a tin can in the air with 400 random strangers breathing their air)..We would need 5 weeks annual leave for one week abroad...not on my radar ...very happy to staycation....feel sorry for countries that depend on tourism tho...will be shocking for the likes of Spain..Italy etc... I spose some will still go but yack I wouldn't be comfortable!!

Comment

Working...
                                X