Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: International Army Mayl 2020

Good morning Ladies and Chancers, too.

Things are going a little wild over here. Temps up to 40C on the weekend and I think that every single person who could went to the beach yesterday and Saturday. The traffic was ridiculous. Anyway, I guess we will slowly get back into the swing of things. My two employees are due back today and regarding the one, I feel kinda like Bridge and Satz - think of him as new face cream or something. Except that I pay him! :egad: I just hope he can manage to not piss me off for the first hour and maybe my day will go okay. I dislike people asking me the obvious when I am up to my neck in work and this guy can't go to the bathroom without asking if it's okay to open the door!!!! And he likes to talk just for the sake of talking. Nothing enlightening or earth moving, just prattle. Argggh

Nuff of that. [MENTION=24493]outofchances[/MENTION] - good advice from the others, as usual. I can especially relate to what [MENTION=4040]fickle[/MENTION] said. I can't speak for others - only for myself. I was in a toxic relationship for many a very long time. I finally walked out just 3 weeks short of our 43rd wedding anniversary. Of course, our kids had left home and were married. Actually, younger son asked me to leave the marriage for the good of both myself and (former) Mr. Stirly. We are both much calmer now and actually get along well whenever it happens we are together. There was a complete lack of communication between us right from the start. We were never, ever on the same page. In reality, I had already left before I walked out the door. But that is just my story. Everyone's is different. As the others said, the best thing for now is a breathing space for all of you, but especially for you. You are doing a splendid job on staying sober. And that is what counts the most right now!

Troopers - wishing you all a great day and a good week. My car showed 23C when I was on my way to work at 7:30am. Going to be another hot one...!
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Morning Stirly...those temps sound horrendous..I believe it's in the mid 40's in Turkey...only time I ever encountered temps like that was in Vegas..we were coming out of a hotel in one of those whirly doors ..when the air hit our lungs we just kept going round and back into the air-con!! 30 is as high as I would want..think I've cooked pulled pork not much warmer than that:egad:
      So....little open up in Ireland today...outdoor construction and garden centres..and hardware shops...sooooooo..the fun begins!! Oh yes our stately gardens are open too
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Re. The potentially irritating colleague...we thought we had got rid of SmellyJohn..but apparently the transfer list was cancelled...I worry that someone who cannot even wash his body or clothes will most definitely not be washing his hands....I won't hold back if I'm anywhere near him...not gonna be PC bout this one!!

Comment

Internet has been down and I have just managed to fix it. We had power cut yesterday and everything has had to be rebooted etc. I maybe a domestic goddess and marathon runner but technically I am rubbish--So glad I could google tech on my phone.
          Going to read back!

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
            Morning Stirly...those temps sound horrendous..I believe it's in the mid 40's in Turkey...only time I ever encountered temps like that was in Vegas..we were coming out of a hotel in one of those whirly doors ..when the air hit our lungs we just kept going round and back into the air-con!!
            Haha - Molls, that made me laugh out loud!!!
            Re. The potentially irritating colleague...we thought we had got rid of SmellyJohn..but apparently the transfer list was cancelled...I worry that someone who cannot even wash his body or clothes will most definitely not be washing his hands....I won't hold back if I'm anywhere near him...not gonna be PC bout this one!!
            Yeah, my smelly employee came back today. Wearing a sleeveless t-shirt like he was off to the beach or something. Said he forget a regular top at home. Yeah - obviously forgot his deodorant as well. He walks 5 kilimetres to get to work. Sleeveless top, no deo. Feckin' hell!! Luckily we have polo-type tops given to us by one of our suppliers so he got one of those toot sweet. Damn. Makes me mental. I cannot abide bad smells. The other employee arrived smelling so nice - shower, fresh clothes, deo, cologne - you get the pic. They're like the odd couple - Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon. I even told them so one day! So, Molls, no holds barred - let someone in authority know that his lack of cleanliness is unacceptable, especially considering the current situation...

Comment

Morning, made a post yesterday and gurgling started in my stomach................'m so polite. Let's just say its just as well we've got enough toilet rolls tp last us until 2030.............wiped me out and I'll be auditioning for the new Exorcist movie...........I'm a shoo-in for that.
              It may be something to do with I carry my worries in my gut.

[MENTION=24493]outofchances[/MENTION]................in my rant, shouty thing I did with Mr. JC...............I remember saying that it didn't take a couple of months to get into this mess...............it took years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so don't expect it's going to become all roses and buttercups in a couple of months.
              I don't make promises lightly..........have the conversation about these being early days, acknowledge that it must have been hard on all, but, but, but................you are doing your best.
              Being a drunk is selfish but we have to equally selfish if not more in our sobriety. Leanr to say..............no.
              Being sober, living sober isn't easy in the first year.........but by showing you are living sober with all that brings and will keep on bringing is your way of making amends.
              One day it'll occur to you this is your new normal with all its problems but you won't reach for a bottle, you're brain that was trained to reach for a bottle iwill day to you .................come on, mate, how do we cope with this and you'll answer in a logical and doable way, It still might mean that not everyone is going to be happy but that's their problem.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Pretty much everything Jackie said Chancer -- and yes -- we actually DO have to learn to be selfish -- sounds like completely the wrong way round considering the 'wrongs' we did to others in addiction -- but - my sobriety comes first -- first second third and fourth -- nowadays - less so obviously - and I will go the extra mile or whatever because I feel secure in my sobriety - as do those around me - but even to this day - if Joe wants to go somewhere -- (chance would be a fine thing but...) a wedding or a night out or a party - that I know I won't be comfortable with -- I JUST SAY NO... you similarly need to tell your wife -- AND kids (cos they are adults) that you need a wee bit of slack - as in -- gentleness - not lying or hiding things from you -- that's not what I mean -- just kindness... dunno how she'd take it tho -- depends how angry she is!
                Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post

Yeah, my smelly employee came back today. Wearing a sleeveless t-shirt like he was off to the beach or something. Said he forget a regular top at home. Yeah - obviously forgot his deodorant as well. He walks 5 kilimetres to get to work. Sleeveless top, no deo. Feckin' hell!! Luckily we have polo-type tops given to us by one of our suppliers so he got one of those toot sweet. Damn. Makes me mental. I cannot abide bad smells. The other employee arrived smelling so nice - shower, fresh clothes, deo, cologne - you get the pic. They're like the odd couple - Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon. I even told them so one day! So, Molls, no holds barred - let someone in authority know that his lack of cleanliness is unacceptable, especially considering the current situation...
                Curiousity - seeing as you are the boss -- have you directly referenced his BO to him? My senior manager has been out of work for the last year - so we have two very jnr managers - but they have no idea how to broach the subject with him -- because we are the public service - apparently there's a protocol in place that I cannot say anything for instance... needs to come from on high... but like you say -- I really am not going to work alongside him in these circumstances unless something happens or is said -- tricky one!

Comment

Pretty much everything Jackie said Chancer -- and yes -- we actually DO have to learn to be selfish -- sounds like completely the wrong way round considering the 'wrongs' we did to others in addiction -- but - my sobriety comes first -- first second third and fourth -- nowadays - less so obviously - and I will go the extra mile or whatever because I feel secure in my sobriety - as do those around me - but even to this day - if Joe wants to go somewhere -- (chance would be a fine thing but...) a wedding or a night out or a party - that I know I won't be comfortable with -- I JUST SAY NO... you similarly need to tell your wife -- AND kids (cos they are adults) that you need a wee bit of slack - as in -- gentleness - not lying or hiding things from you -- that's not what I mean -- just kindness... dunno how she'd take it tho -- depends how angry she is!

Curiousity - seeing as you are the boss -- have you directly referenced his BO to him? My senior manager has been out of work for the last year - so we have two very jnr managers - but they have no idea how to broach the subject with him -- because we are the public service - apparently there's a protocol in place that I cannot say anything for instance... needs to come from on high... but like you say -- I really am not going to work alongside him in these circumstances unless something happens or is said -- tricky one!
                  Well, it is a touchy subject and they guy is 52 years old - not a youngun. Our other employee who works along side him has dropped hints but basically he is a bit thick. We were actually going to fire him (not for smelly reasons) before this whole Covid-19 situation started and now we can't fire him because of govt regulations. Anyway, he got sent home today by my son (who is the hard-working brain behind the business) and told to take tomorrow off because of his inability to follow instructions. We do things in a specific way for technical reasons. He does things his way. Which means taking longer to do something and not always getting the desired result which sometimes costs us material and labour. Anyway, I have decided when he comes back on Wednesday to have another talk with him. I have already told him that he is to do things the way my son tells him to with no questions asked but he always goes back to his own way. Frustrating to say the least. Anyway, it's all part and parcel of the job and things will get straightened out eventually. Until then OOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!

Comment

think of him as new face cream or something. Except that I pay him! I just hope he can manage to not piss me off for the first hour and maybe my day will go okay. I dislike people asking me the obvious when I am up to my neck in work and this guy can't go to the bathroom without asking if it's okay to open the door!!!! And he likes to talk just for the sake of talking. Nothing enlightening or earth moving, just prattle. Argggh
                    [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION] :haha:
                    So you have a smelly one and a one who's thick ?...... or are the same person.
                    I wouldn't have the nerve to tell someone they are smelly. But I would certainly be dropping the hints & ask someone else to tell him

Get him tested for COVID-19 - the lastest is your sense of smell or lack of it is now a warning sign :egad:
                    Last edited by satz123; May 18, 2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]...............found just the thing. Hang this round his neck.

AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Its been announced today this blocked nose and loss of smell as a symptom. Remember when I ended up in the walk-in clinic on 10th March............it was exactly what they're talking about. Of course it was early days of the virus and her saying it was congestion made sense at the time but it went on for weeks.... but I was getting spikes in my temperature as well a and very little sense of smell which made me think ...might just give my doctor a ring tomorrow.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Oh wouldn't that be interesting! You could be immune and all
                          The gas thing about the no smell or taste...that info. came out of Wuhan back in January...I remember reading about it before the virus came to Europe..how come they've only 'discovered' it now I wonder?!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                            [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]...............found just the thing. Hang this round his neck.

Good night everyone. Sorry for those of you with smelly/annoying colleagues. I think the virus was here since New Year. So many people were sick at that time. My friend definitely had it mid February and I traveled to Donegal with her two days before she got sick. No symptoms but I do wonder. Work was much busier today and I now have Perspex around my desk. The whole thing feels weird.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                              Its been announced today this blocked nose and loss of smell as a symptom. Remember when I ended up in the walk-in clinic on 10th March............it was exactly what they're talking about. Of course it was early days of the virus and her saying it was congestion made sense at the time but it went on for weeks.... but I was getting spikes in my temperature as well a and very little sense of smell which made me think ...might just give my doctor a ring tomorrow.
                              Sounds to me like you've already had it Jacks - imagine if you were immune ? You'd be able to go everywhere - do everything :horse:
                              Though there's no real way of knowing till we can get the antibody test.

Comment

about the no smell or taste...that info. came out of Wuhan back in January...I remember reading about it before the virus came to Europe..how come they've only 'discovered' it now I wonder?!!
                                Yeah I remember hearing that too Molls - ages ago.
                                I dunno why our Government sit on things for so long. Masks are another thing they only 'advise' and only this week - 8 weeks in. It makes total sense that a face covering will stop even some droplets - there is really no reason NOT to wear them.
                                And only NOW in this country they are trying to get childcare for frontline workers ??? T
                                These are the frontline workers who have been working anyway for the last 8 weeks or have been out sick & are now back in work. They've managed childcare through the worst of the crisis - so anything now is too late.
                                With only 4 new cases today I think they've done their job - they haven't been sitting at home waiting for childcare....
                                I DUNNO !!
                                Last edited by satz123; May 18, 2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X