Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone any experience on telling parents or family..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone any experience on telling parents or family..

That they want to quit drinking or that they must quit drinking...and what was their reaction?

Supportive, shock , sadness or something else?

Re: Anyone any experience on telling parents or family..

Supportive in my case with all around me. But i didn't let on until i'd stopped by myself and had stayed stopped for some weeks. Hope you're well mate.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Telling my mom was one of the more difficult things I've done. She was of course great and couldn't have been more supportive (as I knew she would be). I think it was more the aspect of dissapointing and worrying her that I had trouble with (also maybe the aspect of being dishonest/secretive for so long).

Comment

I didn't tell anyone, not even my wife, of my intent to stop. I knew I didn't need any support. I knew I would never drink again because I didn't want to. Alcohol owed me nothing. I had already milked it for everything it was over many decades - the good, the bad and the ugly. It held no allure and no longer had me in its grip. Funnily enough, no one has ever asked why I no longer drink. When asked if I want a drink out with friends or at a party or something like that, I just say no thanks.

Comment

I was scared to tell my mom in person for the first round of sobriety so I sent her a message on fb. This time I just told her. Total support from her and my family. If telling them in person scares you then write a note for them or mail them a letter.
          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by DriftyAlison0 View Post
            I was scared to tell my mom in person for the first round of sobriety so I sent her a message on fb. This time I just told her. Total support from her and my family. If telling them in person scares you then write a note for them or mail them a letter.
            Ya I did basically the same thing, I wrote up a few paragraph summery of my situation and my intentions, and sent it to family and close friends. I really did not feel like explaining it over and over again in person to various people. Of course there was plenty of follow up and support from people, which I did not mind at all.
            With my mom, I told her there was something I needed to tell her and if she wouldn't mind reading my email real quick, and then I talked to her about it right afterward.
            In my situation too, it wasn't just about telling people that I wanted to quit drinking, it was also about explaining the physical dependancy and how adapted my brain had become, and how much of a nightmare it was to live with (as well has health issues that had come up as a result etc.). I just wanted to be totally honest and give the people close to me the whole story.
            Last edited by Mulburry; May 3, 2023, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I told my family about a year into my sobriety. I was a highly functioning alcoholic and hid my addiction well (as well as my bottles). I told them I stopped drinking almost from the start but as far as they knew that was socially. My wife was hurt but she was from a family of alcoholics, she was also supportive as was the rest of my family. Expect the typical denials (ahh you're not an alcoholic) but some of that is just awkwardness.

I found it incredibly important to tell my family. After a year I didn't trust myself to stay sober I was starting to find reasons why I could drink. Telling them cemented by sobriety. There was no turning back. Good luck
              Last edited by TJAF; May 15, 2023, 08:20 PM.
              Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Working...
              X