Tips on meditation materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I down loaded the Gil Frondal workshops on my ipod. I have listened thru most of them now and have found them very useful. They would be a great place to start for anyone interested in mindful meditation and you can?t beat free!

The wed site is in wips post in the beginning of this thread.
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi all,
      Just thought I'd add a couple.
      Pema Chodron: True Happiness.
      Thich Nhat Hanh: Mindful Living:
      Jack Kornfield: Guided Meditation - 6 practices to cultivate Love, Awareness and Wisdom.
      Jack Kornfield: Roots of Buddhist Psychology
      All these are available from Sounds True: ~ SOUNDS TRUE: Wisdom for the Inner Life ~
      A couple of terrific books include:
      Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratna. This is a truly wonderful book
      Meditation for Life by Martine Batchelor
      Both these are available from Wisdom Publications: Wisdom Publications | Non-profit Buddhist books for all. | (800) 272-4050
      Anything by Jack Kornfireld, Joseph Goldstein, Sharon Salzberg and Pema Chodron are terrific.
      Eckhart Tolle is also good, but he can be a bit heavy at times.
      I've probably doubled up on a couple that others have mentioned.

Comment

hi nancy,good thread,always wondered how people just sIt there and dO nothing , but think,close there eyes and hell brakes lose,open your eyes and it doesnt go away,happen to me,i dont listen to tapes,cds,i have found my own way,i think of what can be taken away in an instant,just like tht,all tht i worked for,just like tht ,away,gone,i was one of the lucky ones,i have found the answer,if you have an inner self,it will tell you rt from wrong,if not,you will,stumble,all the time,gyco

Comment

I like a mantra-type prayer:

Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have mercy on me.

Repeat this verse three times, then on the fourth time:

Jesus Christ, Son of God, grant me peace.

Lots of verses can be used in this manner: repeat three times, ask for peace the fourth time.

I believe I was always looking for peace when I was drinking.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I have two guided meditation audio CD's I love and listen to all the time- both can be found on Amazon.com.

Guided Meditations for Stress Reduction, by Bodhipaksa, includes the Body Scan meditation and Mindfulness of Breathing;

Guided Meditations for Calmness, Awareness and Love,
            by Bodhipaksa, includes Development of Lovingkindness, towards yourself and others.

I meditate with them in the morning and they put me right to sleep if I listen at night! He has a wonderful and soothing voice that I love.

Just go to Amazon and search "Bodhipaksa"

Best regards,

MissDoodleBug

:new:
            :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Comment

Hi Doodlebug, and welcome! Thanks for the links; Bodhipaksa is new to me, but I often teach and practice the three methods (body scan, mindfulness of breathing, and lovingkindness meditation) you are talking about; they are very, very effective...

Are you finding that your meditation is helpful in connection with a drinking problem (I noticed this is your first post!)? Maybe you would like to start a new thread and tell us about yourself, and what you hope to get out of MWO?

Best wishes,

wip

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, WIP. : ) Where do you teach meditation?

Well, I would not want to start a whole thread about me. Yes, I feel the meditation does help. I was having quite a tussle with the wine bottle for many years, until I got so very sick and tired of it. Started last week with a full regimen of MWO supplements and the hypnosis tapes and have been alcohol free for over a week. 9 days is a huge achievement for me. I am so happy and grateful to be sober.

I had tried the MWO program doing modification last year but failed. I used the Topamax, but did not stick with the supplement plan. The Topamax was awful for me, I was miserable and my hair started falling out.

This time my goal is permanent abstention. Have been religiously taking all the supplements (especially Kudzu and L Glutamine and True Calm) but not any prescription drugs, and doing the hypnosis CD's every day.

After about a week of physical discomfort from withdrawal, I am feeling really good. That True Calm supplement must be some kind of miracle pill, I am happy to the point of giddy all day!

Well, thanks for saying hello, and peace to you all : )

DoodleBug

:sun: :heart: :h :heart: :sun:
                :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Comment

Doodlebug, you are doing great! I am glad you have started to post here on the forum! Here's my suggestion: most people find it extremely helpful to post regularly here so you can get to know people, and let them get to know you. Mutual support and accountability play an enormous role in long-term freedom from alcohol, certainly (in my opinion) just as important as supplements, medications, etc.

I'd suggest the AF daily thread in the Monthly Abstinence section. It's a great place for people who are working seriously on keeping alcohol out of their (our) lives. And the "Army" thread is also a daily thread; there are a lot of wonderful people who post there, and I promise they would welcome you. It's more of a "fun" thread, but everyone there is serious about staying free from the devastation of alcohol.

In answer to your question: I teach meditation (and psychology) in the midwestern area of the USA.

Comment

Great Thread.
                    I have found that many people have problems (in the beginning) to learn to passively meditate.They think that it is just a time to zone out.
                    I disagree. meditation is a time of heighten awareness, not diminished awareness.
                    As i see it,there are two major types of Meditation.
                    Active and Passive.Many people benefit to begin with an active meditation, than they can then train themselves into passive.
                    I posted a beginners lesson on active meditation awhile back.i will bump it, for those who are interested.
                    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X