Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee- yes or no?

java

Hi all, if they have the coffee flowing at AA meetings, maybe they know something? Of course everybody there smokes too, not that I know that from personal experience.

Lushy, I need my one plus cup of coffee in the am, been that way since I was a teen and mom would bring a cup in to get me out of bed. It's been a long time since I felt the jolt of the caffeine that made me wide awake after the first sip, but I still need that am cup. Then I drink decaf the rest of the day so I don't have sleep problems. When I'm drinking wine, the sleep is not so good. When I am AF I drink sleepy time tea, seems to work. If it shows that coffee helps the liver, that would be a bonus for sure!
    The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

For those of you that don't think decaf tastes good, there are specialty coffee shops in most cities that make it so it tastes just like the real stuff and you can buy your beans there. Often they roast them themselves. I've done taste tests with that kind of coffee and nobody could tell the difference from real coffee.

I don't know if the beneficial effects on the liver are the same but I am guessing they are. I'll do some research and get back with that.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Decaf

I would also like to hear more about the decaffeination process. I heard that it is really not good for you. however, I think there are different ways of decaffeinating coffee and some are safer/healthier.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

You can buy decaf at any regular grocery market too. I can't tell the difference in most popular brands here like: Nabob, Maxwell House, Folgers, etc...

I've never heard the decaf process being bad for you. But really, like what don't we consume that doesn't have some sort of harmful effect on us? Unless you are strictly a vegetarian who grows your own crops (free of pesticides, etc) or you buy strictly organic produce only; then more than likely you are putting something into your body that has something bad in it.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

It really depends on the decaffeinating process. Most general brands use the chemical Methyl Chrloride to remove the caffeine chemically. (I don't think there's any leftover but that stuff is NASTY) This destroys most of the antioxidant and other beneficial alkaloids. Look for a roaster or a brand that uses the Swiss Water process for decaffeination, the easist to find in the states is Newman's Own brand. We actually have a fantastic roaster here in Durham that works with small local farmers directly to purchase outstanding cofees that ship the day they roast the beans for your order.

Counter Culture Coffee ~ Coffee Driven people, People Driven Coffee

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Actually, you will find most specialty brands use the Swiss Water process. I heard it does not remove the benefits of the coffee. (costs more though, of course).
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Wow! I learn so much from you guys. I'll be looking for Newman's Own decaf coffee. We have a Panera Bread place and their decaf tastes great.
                The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Most people can't tell a difference in the caf vs. non caf in taste tests....so its in your head. From what I can find, decafination is done by a process much like brewing coffee, it is the same way for tea, they "brew it" and when they do that, caffeine is one of the first things released, and it goes away to where you can only get trace amounts.
                  It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                  James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

Just throwing this in here, since the topic is coffee.

I used to drink 12-15 cups a day back in my 30's at work to stay hyper brain fast. Then booze the evening away to sleep. That was real healthy.

So I cut down to three cups a day by the time I was in my late 40's.

Now since I've gone AF, I have been only filling my cup 1/3 full of coffee, and putting in hot water to the top. It seems to fool me into still thinking I get my three cups, but now I only really have 1 cup. Another lady at work told me that's how she slowly tapered off without headache or crash. Now she only drinks one cup diluted by 2/3, and says she never had caffeine withdrawal that way.

Neil

Comment

Coffee- yes or no?

I've been finding that as I've been drinking less and less that I'm much more sensitve to coffee. I used to drink several cups in the morning and 2-3 more in the afternoon. Can't do that now! Get way freaky. Edgy, anxious.
                      Lushy - the reason that tea doesnt affect you the same way is because the caffeine in coffee goes directly into your nervous system, so jazzes up your nerves directly. The caffeine in tea goes to your brain - so it stimulates your brain but not your entire nervous system. (At least that's what I was taught at a tea seminar I attened a few years ago. Then again, it was put on by The Republic of Tea, for grocery retailers, so they wanted to have us beleive all the good stuff about tea so we'd push it in our stores. Makes sense though, based on personal experience.)
                      Hugs,
                      imatree

Comment

Working...
                      X