Pesci-Vegetarian Life style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not familiar with the name Quinoa. We have products here made by Boca/Gardenburger/and President's Choice... and many others, I just can't think of them. I will see if we carry the Quinoa products.

I couldn't believe all of the 'options' there were for a meatless lifestyle! I have had veggie burgers in the past - and thought they were great! Now they have a whole variety of things. I have decided to put my little one on this lifestyle too, because there is so much out there now that she would get everything she needs nutritionally.

I had a taste of the soy cheese and I like it. Not too bad. I can get use to it. I really have liked soy products most of my adult life (ones I have tried) so no problems there. My daughter doesn't seem to mind it either - so bonus!

Comment

Hi all - just ran into this thread. I was a pesci-veggie for several years. Actually I had set out to be pure vegetarian (not vegan) but once I gave up meat I found myself craving fish (which I never much liked previously) so chose to listen to my body.

About Quorn - do some research. It has caused digestive illness in some people - can't remember specifics off the top of my head.
      Quinoa is the best protein source among grains - remember to rinse it thoroughly before cooking! It has this natural coating on it to repel insects that makes it inedible if not rinsed. Once rinsed though it cooks quickly and is light and versatile.

Don't forget about tofu! I LOVE TOFU!!
      Oh, and sprouted grain breads offer good quality protein too. Ezekial (sprouted grain) tortillas are awesome for making wraps.
      Hugs,
      imatree

Comment

Thank for the tips Imatree - totally appreciate it! I am writing all of this good info down for future shopping!!

Oh, and Beatle... I can't believe Dr. Spock was a vegan. I am shocked a bit about that. Don't know why, but I was surprised!

Comment

If you're also looking to eat wholesome foods in your vegetarian diet, watch out for a lot of the overly processed meat-replacement products out there. Many are WAY TOO processed. And if you're on track for the best quality food, you want to avoid GMOs - genetically modified organisms. And anything with soy or corn that isn't organic is guaranteed to be genetically modified.
          Hugs,
          imatree

Comment

About Quorn.....I rarely eat it but I do think it can help people who want to stop eating meat but need time to rethink how they cook. ( Imatree, I think you're right about it not suiting some people - I think it's because it is basically made from myco-protein, a type of mushroom that is artificially made. If you're allergic to mushrooms you won't be able to tolerate Quorn) I guess all processed food is second rate, whether it's meat or veggie. I think veggie cooking is so simple......and easy Here's an example of what we ate here tonight:

Red rice with chives and red beans, in an olive oil dressing.
            Green salad of lettuce and spring onions in vinaigrette
            Soaked nuts and seeds in tamari with finely grated carrot
            Cucumber grated in soya yoghurt
            Baby new potatoes in a mustard dressing.

I do cheat by getting my beans in a can, but the whole thing took about 15 mins to put together as I'd cooked the rice the night before (red rice takes about 40 mins but other rices can be cooked much quicker) and it was all homemade, no addtives etc.

I'm not boasting - I just want folk to know how quick and easy veggie food can be, and how nourishing and enjoyable:h

It would be great to hear what other veggies are eating!
            Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Suze, that sounds wonderful. It's true, vegetarian eating can (and should!) be so simple, once one gets out of the mindset that a meal must revolve around a meat. I am all for canned beans myself! For a quick meal my daughter and I love to heat a can of black beans, pour them over crushed tortilla chips and top with cheddar cheese, salad on the side. SO satisfying. I also love to put half a can of garbanzo beans (aka chick peas) in my salad for lunch.
              When you find the best in fresh veggies (good grocery store, farmer's market or CSA), simply prepared veggies can open a whole new world for one's experience of food. And there are so many wonderful rices out there - my favorite is Forbidden Black Rice. Oooohh.
              Another great thing about giving up meat is how much cleaner your kitchen is. No worries about those icky bacterias lurking on the counter and cutting board, and the trash doesn't get so stinky.

And a reminder - it doesn't have to be all or nothing, when it comes to eating meat. I mean, if you're a meat eater you don't have to have it at every meal. If you prefer to be mostly veg why not have some meat once in awhile. Every time someone chooses to forego a piece of meat for a meal it makes a whole lot of difference, even if it's not every day or every meal.
              Hugs,
              imatree

Comment

I bought vegan hot dogs, they look gross-I combined them with canned bean ( franks and beans) and I am going to attempt to eat that for dinner...will let you know how it goes. Other than dinner, every other meal is easy for me to eat non meat, dinner is my toughy
                It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

I ate it, the hot dogs were not that great...but i dont generally eat hot dogs anyways, but these definitely didn't taste anywhere close to the ones i remember...overall wasn't a bad dinner though. The only reason I got them was to add some protien variety...I can only eat so much nuts and beans, and I am not a huge fan of tofu.
                  It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                  James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

i do tons of veggies soups and am happy with a bowl of cereal/oatmeal for any meal with soy milk and nuts and berries

if it requires more than 3 steps, i usually do not do it!

Comment

I just warmed up some veggies (yellow squash, zuchini, and eggplant) I had roasted yesterday....i needed something extra. NOW THAT WAS TASTY!!

I eat kashi w/soy milk for breakfast or a berry smoothie--soy milk

occsionally i will have the kashi for dinner....mmm tasty.
                      James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

I have to agree with you about the veggie hotdogs!!! They taste like crap - they don't blow up when cooked and they have the texture of Playdoh! Blech.

Comment

it is funny - i do not like even imitation meat for the most part because it looks too much like the real thing. i will do a veggie burger but that is all

Comment

Do you know you can give tofu a firmer "meatier" texture by freezing it? Slice the slab to about 3/4" thick, put between towels and paper towels, set a heavy something on top (pot full of water or books). This will press out all the excess water. After awhile, freeze it. When it's thawed again it will have a different texture. Marinate it for a good long time to give it good flavor. You can marinate it right after the pressing part too, without freezing. After pressing hte water out it will suck up a marinade quite readily.
                            Hugs,
                            imatree

Comment

Hummus is a great way to add protein to a diet too... easy to make, so yummy, great for snacks iwth veggies, on a sandwich, in a wrap, etc.
                              Hugs,
                              imatree

Comment

I have always loved tofu. I think many people are scared of it because of it's name. I put it in soups and stir fries once in a while. It does absorb a lot of flavour. I buy the firm or extra firm.

I will give the freezing thing a try and see how it is different. I like to experiment! I am making a vegetarian spaghetti sauce today for dinner tonight. Last night we had long grain rice with veggies and a salad. I found some fish stock broth which I used for the rice - it was super! I have the veggie broth too, but the fish one has a lot of flavour that I find kind of unique.

I am off to kill our grocery budget on finding some other things for us.

Keep those ideas coming! I am loving this!

Comment

Working...
                                X