Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

Mine says take "preferably at bedtime".

It also says "Please discard the inedible freshness packet enclosed".

Damn. Should have read that bit first.

Comment

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

Dosage
      Though there is no official dosage, most supplement providers recommend 50 mg or 100 mg 5-HTP, one to three times per day. Most clinical studies have tested doses of 200-300 mg/day, although one study tested doses as large as 3250 mg/day. In many clinical studies, 5-HTP is administered with carbidopa, which substantially changes 5-HTP's pharmacology, e.g. [17] Although many studies do not report a dosing schedule, the majority of those that do have reported using two to four doses split throughout the day. The most effective timing would be before sleep, and on an empty stomach(either/or preferably both), any other protein or amino acid will decrease absorption in the digestive tract.

I REST MY CASE

Comment

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

First of all, there is a thread in the Holistic Healing forum on 5 HTP. Lots of good info there and RJ gives a couple of websites where you can get a lot more info, so maybe you should go there before reading this post, which is based about 75% on those sites (25% on my own experience and things I've heard).There has been a scare about it, but that is disproved or denied by many credible people in the field.

I don't know about the SAMe or the GABA. But yes, you can get too much seratonin. I read a bunch about this a while back. It's called seratonin syndrome or something and can be especially dangerous in the elderly and people with heart problems (I think). It may only be related to artificially getting too much seratonin as in the case of SSRI antidepressant drugs. I am going to research this too.

As for 5 HTP, I can tell you that some doctors are now using this instead of SSRI antidepressants like zoloft etc . Apparently, they do approximately the same thing, which is increase the seratonin in your brain, but 5 HTP does it naturally, so you don't have all those foreign chemicals hanging around your brain, also I think there is one less step involved. And there are none of those awful side effects (or far less) and no problems with withdrawal.

Anyway, 5 HTP has been proven in several studies to work as well for depression as the SSRIs-- so why do the doctors still prescribe SSRIs? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out- (hint: $$$ and drug companies).

You can take 5 HTP any time of day, but it's best to take at night IF you are using it for sleep problems. If you are using it for depression/anxiety it is best to take it split in about 3 doses over the day. For some reason, 5 HTP gives me wild dreams-- I'm talking hallucinatory and scary-- so I take it only in the a.m. I do think it has a positive effect on my mood.

As for dosage, 200mg in one go sounds like a heck of a lot. I was prescribed (you can't get it OTC where I live) 50mg, and that really worked for sleeping (but man oh man the dreams!). For depression/anxiety it is recommended to take 50mg 3xday, working up to 100mg 3xday if needed.

As for taking it on an empty stomach, I read somewhere that it is not necessary to take 5 HTP on an empty stomach. However, tryptophan should be taken on an empty stomach. 5 HTP is an advanced form of tryptophan-- as I understand it, the 5 HTP is one step closer to being converted to seratonin. Anyway, it says on my container to take it on an empty stomach with juice (the carbohydrates help it to convert faster). So I don't know what is true.

btw, the wild dreams thing is listed as a very rare side effect (less than 1 in 1,000) so I just happened to get that prize, lucky me, but it is doubtful anyone else here will. There are very few side effects from 5 HTP, so you needn't worry about it.

oh and p.s. I believe I am the one who mentioned the Symmetry (a brand of lithium orotate in spray form). This is a quick fix for anxiety. You can also take it regularly to PREVENT anxiety or use it on an as-needed basis. It really works (kind of like alkie)... calms you down in a jiffy. And it's all natural, safe, etc.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

Oh, and about the carbidopa (does beatle never SHUT UP?)-- that was supposed to help the 5 HTP be absorbed somehow, but the info I read says that is not necessary.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

Thanks all for all the info - really interesting. Thaks for taking the time to type so many words Beatle..I mean that! Takes ages and was really useful...

I've found a few UK bods to order GABA from in the UK but can anyone tell me the dosages of GABA they're finding useful please?....I can buy all sorts here.....

Thanks
            Finding x
            :heart: c: :heart:
            "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

great thanks for this I was taking 5htp but got scared by the scare!was taking in the am before breakfast, I feel ok now. I'm taking valerian,skullcap, hops and vervain in a 3 times a day combined supplement for anxiety as I couldn't shut my brain up!It seems to be working
              one day at a time

Comment

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

Valerian helps me a lot too, but takes about an hour to kick in. I take the max dose. The lithium oratate nose spray gets me through the hour it takes for the valerian to kick in. I should mention that I have had anxiety issues since I was a child. I use this natural stuff on an as-needed basis now, which is not so often, and I don't need other meds (I've tried a lot without success).

Comment

SAMe, 5htp,GABA?-

THANK YOU, BEATLE!! Thant was soooo healpful. Thank you for taking the time. I am just starting the 5htp and taking 50mgs am. i have another question, if you don't mond... do you think takign another dose 50mgs in the evening will MAKE me sleepy, or does it just help you sleep better?

MM
                  Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Working...
                  X