Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supplements.. Who's on first.. I mean, what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting-- I thought the oils were supposed to be taken with food. I also thought l-glut was not supposed to be mixed with anything other than other amino acids and enzymes.

I'm also taking melatonin at night ... how much melatonin do you take?

When I wake up in the middle of the night, as I often do, I take 2 or 3 calms forte and read for about a half hour and that usually gets me back to sleep. very nice and gentle, too.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Beatle,

My doctor told me that 6mg Melatonin seems to be the "magic" number. Too much actually hurts sleep and too little doesn't help.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Well, Whatever I am doing seems to be working. On day 18 today and feel great. I have done a 30 before but feel better this time around than ever before. I have to fit everything into 4 times a day or I won't take it all. I am shooting for 100 days AF this time. All the other times I only got up to 7 weeks AF and didn't really feel very well in the process. This time I feel great so am hoping I can make 100 AF.

Bethany

Comment

great Cindi-- that's exactly what I'm taking (as prescribed in "Seven Weeks to Sobriety"). I smuggled in a year's worth on last trip out of the country.

Tryptophan is also supposed to be great, but I get wild scary hallucinatory dreams on that.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

oh yeh, Bethany, it is so much easier with supps, isn't it? I went AF so many times without supps and it was hell. With supps, it is so much easier.

Comment

weemelonhead;219048 wrote: lol cindi!!!
              I take 5000mgs of l-glut
              2xsolgar multi vits (very good supplements.....voted best in 'which' magazine...well absorbed by the body)
              spatone iron sachets
              40mg citalopram (anti depressant)
              herbal sleepers if needed

Also try and eat VERY little processed food and red meat...
              I've got a lot of body healing to do after all the years of abuse....
              I take solgar multi vits too. I have a 60 year old friend who swears by them he has been taking them since the 60s. he is so healthy and youthful and drinks like a fish.
              I also take Lglut 5g when I get that urge.
              no Kudzu anymore.
              have been able to keep a cap on things
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Beatle,

Sorry, I don't know how much melotonin I take.

One time I asked my husband to pick up some B complex while he was out. The kind he bought had melotonin and Skull cap and Valerian mixed in. I set that aside and went and bought a b complex without all that other stuff. Now though I take it if I have trouble sleeping.

When I make it back to the health food store I am going to buy some Melotonin or Skullcap, but I don't know which one is working though really.

Bethany

Comment

I ordered some Tryotophan but it made me feel really sick when I took it with the L-gut and Gaba so I stopped taking it. I might try to fit it in later somehow, but why as I feel great without it?

Bethany

beatle;230447 wrote: great Cindi-- that's exactly what I'm taking (as prescribed in "Seven Weeks to Sobriety"). I smuggled in a year's worth on last trip out of the country.

Tryptophan is also supposed to be great, but I get wild scary hallucinatory dreams on that.

Comment

Bethany,

If you feel great, don't add it. I am a believer in less is better.

I am trying the L-Tryptophan purely because the melatonin alone only allows me to fall asleep but I then only sleep 4-6 hours a night. On top of that, I cannot nap during the day. Last night, by including the L-Tryptophan, I slept 8 hours straight.

However, I also have a cold this morning, which may well account for the extra 2 hours of sleep.

If I find it doesn't really help, I will quit taking it. It is horribly expensive anyway.

On top of that, I am not sure I really NEED 8 hours sleep. I may simply be a person who only needs 4 to 6 hours a night. Who the heck knows? I've been drinking since I was a teenager. I have no idea what my "natural" state is or ought to be. I do know that the sleep I am getting now is really sleep and not an alcohol induced passed out state. HOW GREAT IS THAT?

Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi,

Everyone is different, so it takes some experimenting to find what works for you.

You may need more than 6 hours a night to get your health back for awhile. Even though the alcohol is out of your system by now, it stills take awhile to recover completely.

Whatever works!

Your sobriety date is one day after mine!

Sobriety Date: November 11, 2007

Comment

Cindi, if you tolerate the tryptophan, I recommend you keep taking it. It's supposed to help with the seretonin levels and that's part of repairing your brain chemistry. I believe in it so much-- and really wish I tolerated it. In fact, I'm thinking I will try taking it during the daytime, and see if that works better.

As for expense, I seem to recall that it was very reasonable from the "Seven Weeks" website.

Comment

I love the supplements, so helpful, but find lately that
                          i haven't been consistent in taking them. Thanks to all of your advice, will spend this weekend developing a list to follow. I know that in the two weeks that I've been taking them (and eating quinoa, which has plenty of amino acids), I've felt better than I have in years!
                          :thanks:

Comment

Beatle,

I am going to try taking the 5htp again. Perhaps at a different time of day then I take the other ones and if that doesn't work on a completely different day. The fish oils I could take after breakfast.

Just was giving this all some more thought.

Comment

A Question for all of You

This is a very interesting forum. I've read all of your posts because I'm on week six of the supplements of the MWO program and wondered if I should stop them or continue any with the topa med. So my question for you is are any of you on topa or any of the alternatives? My drinking problem was two years long, in my sixties. I'm an obsessive compulsive personality in all aspects of my life, work, weight, etc. Guess marital problems with a retired husband lead me to the bottle. Anyway....any recommendations on continuing the supplements with topa? Thanks.

Zana:thanks:

Comment

I am not on Topa or Campral, just the supplements and exercize.

I have a doctor lined up, but can't afford to go right now.

Ironically had I not spent so much money on Supps I may have been able to afford to go to the doctor. Perhaps not though, as they probably would have wanted to do a blood panel and all.

There is a prescription assitance program that will help me with the cost of the Campral, but I don't know, if I can do alright with just the supps then perhaps I do not want to go on a pharmicutical of any kind. (day 21 today AF and feel great!)

So I guess what I would say to you is if you are doing Ok with just the Supps are you sure that you really want to /or even need to go on the Topa? Another reason I say this is because of the short amount of time that you had a problem with alcohol (2 years). Some people need topa or campral if they had been drinking for 10-15-20-25 years, but at only two years you might not need any medication at all.

Well take all this with a grain of salt and make up your own mind. I haven't really decided whether or not I am going to go on a phamicutical or just stick with the supps and exercise, but I am really leaning toward not going on Campral and just sticking with what I have been doing.

If you are doing OK without the Topa are you sure you really need it?

If you bought it already do you feel like you should take it just because you bought it? I already paid the Presciption Assitance Program $50.00 for processing fees, but now that I don't think I need the campral I am just going to not worry about the 50 bucks already spent as I am hesitant to go on anything that isn't natural.

Comment

Working...
                                X