Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supplements.. Who's on first.. I mean, what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bethany,

Well, I wasn't clear in my post - which is one of the side effects of topa, which I've been on for five weeks - which was the unclear part! Another side effect is that I've lost weight, which is welcome, so even though it's not a natural supplement, I don't want to stop it now. MWO recommends 3 months on topa. MWO also says that I can stop the supplements after 6 weeks. But in reading your posts, you all seem to be getting benefits in still taking some of them, especially l glut and Kudzu. I hesitate to take things that the FDA has not standardized, even though those guys are questionable and political these days too.

Many thanks for your comments.

Zana

Comment

Well that could be me, I am still a bit spacey after 3 weeks AF even though I am feeling pretty well overall. (which is why I think about going on Campral sometimes- to get rid of the withdrawl spaciness)

I really don't know if you are supposed to keep taking the supps if you are on the Topa but I am sure someone else will be along to answer that question.

Sometimes I am tempted to try the Topa just because of the weight loss side effect myself.

Comment

Hi Zana.. Like I said at the begining of this thread, I did decide to go off Topa, but I also started drinking again. It could have been my situation, but Ihave gone off a few times since August and both times I drank. I have everything else in place, including supplements, so for right now I am going to stay on Topa and continue to work on all of my behavior habitual patterns. As soon as I feel like I have a deep understanding and a handle on them I will go off the Topa. i only take 50mgs a day at 4pm, so I don't take much. But just that amount gets rid of my thoughts for booze - that is a wonderful thing for me! . RJ took it for four years, and many others have also taken for a long time with great sucess.

Namaste,

MM
        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Bethany - what time of day do you take yoru Topa?
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

You can take the supps forever-- eat well, that's the best, but keep taking the supps. You can cut them down after you have been AF for a long while, though.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

MM,

We are having difficulties in communication today.

I am not on Topa or Campral. Just supps and exercize, I feel great just a little spacy. Spacey not from meds, from withdrawl still.

Last time I quit drinking I still had withdrawl spaciness at 6 weeks which is why I started drinking again at 7 weeks.

The Gaba seems to helping with the spaciness a bit though. Plus I am going to see this through this time and not let PAWS spaciness make me drink again. I figure if I see this through this time it will go away eventually.

Bethany

Comment

Bethany,

You can have the spaciness from not drinking for a long while. It is called PAWS. A true issue for recovering addicts of all kinds.

Worst is usually gone by 6 months.

Wait it out this time so you don't have to go through it again.

Of course, my family has no idea I'm spacey, they think I'm just normal as usual.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi,

Some people don't believe in PAWS, I do because other times I have tried to quit drinking I have it still at 6-7 weeks AF.

The alcohol might be out of someones system in a week but that doesn't mean that their brain chemistry has balanced out yet.

You are right, I will just stick with it untill I get passed it this time.

My family probably doesn't think I am any different than usual either, LOL!

Comment

Bethany - must be the TOPA - LOL!!! Just kidding....

Comment

MWO has a few products for the brain... probably help with the chemistry and the spaciness. check them out. I'm ordering them all.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I am going to start taking the 5htp I ordered from MWO at night to see if that works any better than taking it in the afternoon. (it didn't mix well with the GABA.)

I have some Choline Cholride, DLPA and L-tysosine coming in the mail from Vitacost.com.

That should help with the PAWS spaciness. I have done my homework because I do not want to hit the wall at 6-7 weeks AF this time.

Comment

Ok, I found a way to fit the 5htp in. I stopped taking the b complex at night that had the Valerian in it and took the 5htp instead.

I already take a b-comlex after breakfast anyways so was starting to feel like I was getting to much b vits anyways.

I went out and bought some Valerian by itself that wasn't mixed with B vitamins. I only take that when very stressed out though.

I really want to make this work so found a way to fit the 5htp in.

Comment

db2fromala;232547 wrote: Bethany,

You can have the spaciness from not drinking for a long while. It is called PAWS. A true issue for recovering addicts of all kinds.

Worst is usually gone by 6 months.

Wait it out this time so you don't have to go through it again.

Of course, my family has no idea I'm spacey, they think I'm just normal as usual.

Cindi
                            What is PAWS can someone elaborate?
                            in october when I was AF after being on the master cleanse.
                            think it was a total of maybe 4 weeks. I was really unfocused and almost catatonic.
                            I also had lunch with a friend who stopped drinking and was 60 af.
                            she was also sort of (dead) she said.

is that PAWS? as soon as I resumed drinking, not heavily, (2 to 3 ) wines every 4 days or so, the symptoms went away. my friend is still AF and feeling ok but spaceay she says

Trix
                            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Just wanted to ad that taking the supplements and vitamins has really helped me a bunch.
                              I really suffer with depression which leads me to drink during this time of year.
                              I doubled the multivitamins and omega-3 as my doctor suggested. and yes I feel a little blue but it's tolerable and I am not being self destructive like I have been before.

would like to know more about GABA and tryptophan.
                              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Some people believe that withdrawal is over once all the Alcohol is out of your system. Others believe that you're in Post Withdrawal until your brain chemistry balances out. The latter theory, which I believe in, is called Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

Post Acute withdrawal happens because your brain stops naturally producing feel good chemicals in your brain as you were getting those from the Alcohol.

When you quit drinking you no longer get these feel good chemicals from alcohol and your brain is still not producing them or not enough of them.

That is why we need to take Gaba, Lglut and 5htp (among others) and exercise.

If one does not have enough of these feel good chemicals in their brain they will drink again no matter how hard they try not to. Will power won't help at that point.

There is another element of Post Acute Withdrawal that I don't completely understand, but it has something to do with Neurons over firing. This causes most of the spaciness. Gaba is an inhibitory neurotransmitter so it helps tremendously with this over firing.

The Trytophan helps produce serotonin in your brain so you should take some before you go to bed at night. I don't take the Gaba and trytophan at the same time of even close to each other as I didn't react well to that.

One time at 7 weeks AF I still had PAWS, but then again I wasn't taking all this stuff like I am this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X