Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supplements.. Who's on first.. I mean, what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My therapist (former) said that the spacey catatonic feeling is brain damage and cannot be reversed.
    I didn't believe her, but then thought it was just my drunken girl denial.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Boy, if that is the case, I am totally screwed and might as well go back to being a full time drunk. :H

My counselors in rehab said that that feeling can persist for many months (it does come and go) but it DOES GO AWAY.

So, your therapist is an idiot and should go back to school.

Cindi

trixietrack;234000 wrote: My therapist (former) said that the spacey catatonic feeling is brain damage and cannot be reversed.
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

yep that is why she is a former therapist of mine.
        funny enough I was so mad at her that I began doing all sorts of research and bumped into MWO.
        doing much better since but still got a way to go

Trix

Comment

trixietrack;234000 wrote: My therapist (former) said that the spacey catatonic feeling is brain damage and cannot be reversed.
          Trixie,

Most of it is probably just a temporary chemical imbalance caused by alcohol abuse.

There could be some brain damage as well, but new studies show that even brain damage caused by alcohol abuse is more reversible than they once thought.

Comment

Rosalind, Cindi, you are so right-- the brain chemistry thing is the main problem (causing PAWS), but it is NOT permanent, and the supps can help you repair it much faster and easier. (Ok, as Rosalind says, there can be some permanent damage, but if you started out with a good one-- brain, that is-- then even that permanent damage should eventually have little effect on your mental capacity.)

Amino acids and especially l-glut are supposed to be key in the process, as well as many other supps.

Trixie good for you for firing that no-good-doer of a therapist. You know, every time I see my therapist, I wonder-- why am I here? She knows nothing about any of this brain chemistry stuff and she's supposed to be educated especially for substance abuse counseling. I think most of these substance abuse therapists are brainwashed under the tutelage of the 12-step dogma (sorry db, don't mean to belittle, but I'm so sick of being made to feel that all my problems stem from unresolved "issues", when I KNOW there is also a physical/chemical element that is not going to disappear even if I come to terms with why I shaved off the hair on my dolly when I was 6 years old.)
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I am on day 3 AF and doubled my omega-3 dosage as well as the multivitamin, and have been waking up feeling perky.
              I think I will try GABA to see how things feel after that.

I now know that I was suffering from malnutrition before coming to MWO and reading about how alcohol depletes ones bodies of nutrients, minerals and amino acids, helped me understand what I was experiencing. For me, having an understanding of what I was doing to my body/mind, is what helped me get out of the horrible cycle of trying to cure depression with alcohol and bad therapy.

I was also one of those people who wouldn't eat while drinking, so I am sure this was causing me to feel even more out of it and catatonic.

beatle I gave my barbie dreads when I was a child, now I have something else to worry about, good thing I am sober.

Trix

Comment

Trixie,

Congrats on Day 3! Glad you are feeling well.

I take 2000 Mg a day of Evening Primrose Oil and 2000 mg of Fish Oil a day and it really does help. Don't really know if I need that much, but seems to working OK.

Other than that I would say that the Gaba and L-glut are most important. I also like the Kudzu for cravings. (some I get from MWO some I get from vitacost.com)

And just eating well that is very important. A person can afford to spend a little more at the grocery store if they are not drinking alcohol. (buying fresh wild Salmon for instance....Yum!)

Comment

I pretty much just follow the new recommendations from MWO. There is a sheet that lists them all somewhere on this website. I simplified the timing a bit so I am taking pills only four times a day instead of six, though. I also take the optionals (like l-glut and gaba), but I don't take Kudzu. And, for Rx, I take Naltrexone instead of Topa. If I'm remembering it correctly, my schedule goes something like this...

First thing in the AM:
                  * AllOne
                  * Gaba
                  * L-Glut
                  * EPO

Mid-morning:
                  * Naltrexone
                  * milk thistle (is that right? the one for your liver)
                  * calms forte

Afternoon:
                  * Magnesium
                  * calms forte
                  * L-Glut

Before Bed:
                  * EPO
                  * B Complex
                  * Calms forte

I feel like I am forgetting stuff, but this is just off the top of my head. I do fill up a pill container every week and check it off of the handout I got on here.

Comment

Working...
                  X