Miracle food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

Quinoa - Where have you been all my life !
    workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Miracle food!

I have never had my quinoa turn out crunchy. The ratio of water to grain is a little less than typical grains. You should cook one cup of quinoa (that has been rinsed thoroughly to get the saponins off of it which can provide a bitter taste) in 1-3/4 cup liquid. I like my Q savory so I cook it in broth. Bring to a boil and simmer like rice. Check on it occasionally and when the liquid has absorbed turn off the heat. Fluff with a fork. I have been eating mine every morning with sauteed kale and a little parmesan. It is SO good. I make a big batch and just have to reheat in the morning.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

I agree with Lushy, that it should not turn out crunchy. I have also heard here that kids love it, cause it looks like smiley faces when cooked (my almost 2 yr old was a little mixed on it, though) Once cooked it keeps well in the fridge. Greeneyes mentioned having it with mixed berries for breakfast (if you haven't cooked it in broth, of course) and I had that a couple days -- Also good with a splash of milk or cream, if you feel like gilding the lily. Nice and filling, too, so you're not hungry an hour after breakfast. I will have to make some soon!

Comment

Miracle food!

I'm a bit concerned about "crunchy" quinoa, because undercooked grains can cause digestive discomfort. It should be 'al dente' - have a bite, but not too much.

I cook mine with water, not broth, because I am a purist (unlike Lushy who will take whatever whenever). Actually, I just like the light flavor with spinach etc because i eat it mostly for breakfast. If I were making it with dinner (which rarely happens) I'd maybe use chicken broth.

My daughter likes it with just butter and salt.

I'm thinking I should buy stock in the quinoa crops. I wonder if the growers and dealers know that it's because of this site that their sales have soared the past several months!!

We could start a website - for people who have healed their lives with the ancient miracle food Quinoa. Maybe we should create a whole Quommunity, or just a Quonvent, where we can daily profess our undying quaring for quinoa.

Quall me quazy....
          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

O.k. so I won't have quonchy quinoa anymore! I'll let you know how it all works out, no not really. I did rinse it before cooking, but def. did not put in enough water. I read how to do it but my brain turned it into 1 cup quin. w/ 3/4 cup water. I am going to make another batch tonight to take to lunch tomorrow. I'm on a juicing kick right now for breakfast. Lately carrot/grape with my all one with a couple scoops of soy powder. thick but yummy.
            workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Miracle food!

My oh my, how wonderful to find so many quinoa fans. I'm new, and started reading the thread at the beginning, but by page 8, I figured I'd never make it to the end, and I wanted to share a recipe I created when I was practicing as a Holistic Health Counselor. Here it is, along with the introduction I provided on my website. You've all heard it before, but I thought I'd just leave it in just in case there are any newbies like me, who don't want to go all the way back to the birth of this thread in November 07.

Quinoa Salad

What a difference this lovely salad makes at a potluck picnic or barbecue. Quinoa is a whole grain from South America, is high in protein, light textured and cooks quickly. Combined with the colorful chopped vegetables, it not only looks great, but is loaded with nutrients, and tastes terrific. Served over a bed of mixed young greens you have a complete summer meal.

Ingredients:
              2 C cooked quinoa
              1/2 C chopped radishes
              1/2 C chopped cucumber
              1/2 C chopped celery
              1/2 C chopped onion, preferably red
              1/2 C chopped fresh parsley
              1/2 C chopped red bell pepper
              1-2 T olive oil
              Juice of 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon.
              A little salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:
              To cook the quinoa, put 1 cup rinsed quinoa into a pot with 2 cups boiling water. (You will have some extra quinoa for other dishes.) Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. When cooled, combine all ingredients together into a big bowl. Mix well.

Now, I'm ready to prepare a pot tomorrow morning and start eating it more often again. I do love it.

Nan

Comment

Miracle food!

Just bumping this amazing thread up for Cowgal... she bought some quinoa but didn't quite know what to do with it.... Thanks for sharing all these recipes everybody ... I love the stuff too !!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Miracle food!

Nan, that sounds delish! Yesterday I had to pack a quick lunch before I headed off to work, so tossed together spinach, quinoa and grape tomatoes with a bit of caesar salad dressing. So simple and delish!

Comment

Miracle food!

I bought some quinoa for the first time last week and made an extremely easy, delicious, and healthy dinner on Wednesday. I sauteed veggies (onions, peppers, zucchini, garlic, mushrooms) in olive oil then added shrimp and cooked. Put a little olive oil and lemon juice over cooked quinoa then added veggies and shrimp to quinoa. It was wonderful. MOW, thanks for turning me onto this grain. Can't wait to try other recipes.

Comment

Miracle food!

That sounds delicious C!
                      I tried red quinoa a few days ago. I don't like it as much as the regular, for breakfast anyway. I think it might make a great tabouleh sort of salad though.

Comment

Miracle food!

Bumping up one of my favorite threads, and for personal reasons, need to copy everyone's favorite quinoa recipes!!
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Miracle food!

Hi quinoa lovers...

I just made Mediterranean Quinoa and OMG it was SO good!! I'll be making this lots. I served it with cod and green beans, but I bet it would be great cold, as a salad.
                          I mixed cooked reheated quinoa with sauteed garlic, stirred in roasted tomatoes, chopped kalamatas and feta cheese. DREAMY!!

Comment

Miracle food!

Bumping up for jamms--great thread! Where I learned everything I know about quinoa.
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Miracle food!

Add a little canabus to you quinoa for a bigger boost ! Ha! ( It's the San Francisco threat ! Ha!)
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Miracle food!

Thanks LV- I have to find this stuff where I live...I can't wait to put it in the lentil soup I make...
                                :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Working...
                                X