Miracle food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

Since this is the thread that turned me onto quinoa a couple of years ago, I thought it was time to contribute! I found one recipe I really liked, that combines quinoa, black beans, corn, cilantro and some spices into a one pot meal. And that was my standard quinoa recipe for a long time. I'll pull it up when I'm at home and post it here, it's definitely one of my favorites!

I ran across this thread again yesterday and thought, "It's time to buy some more quinoa!" I was really intrigued by the breakfast version with peanut butter and banana. I already love PB and bananas together, so why not add some quinoa into the mix! So I made a plain batch last night, to have with some baked salmon that has a fantastic marinade/sauce. Maybe it's because I've never made plain quinoa (I always include sauteed onion and garlic and cook in chicken or beef broth), but I thought it was a little bit bitter. The kind I got wasn't the one I usually get, and I didn't rinse it, because on the package it said it's pre-rinsed, etc. Maybe I should have though! It still wasn't bad though, the salmon marinade covered up the flavor a little bit. Next time I will definitely rinse before cooking, and see if that makes a difference.

So this morning I tried it for breakfast. Heated it up with a scoop of peanut butter, added a sprinkling of cinnamon, some almond milk, a drizzle of honey and a sliced banana. It was different, but really good! I like that little bit of a crunch you get from the quinoa, it makes it stand out from oatmeal. I think the sweetness of the peanut butter really helped give it that sort of breakfast-y feel for me. I think I've just been craving pb lately anyway though! It was very satisfying and I didn't get hungry again for quite a few hours. I might also give it a try with a dollop of strawberry jam and some almond milk.

Other ideas have started running through my head as well. Mix in some black beans, melt some shredded cheese on top, and add a bit of salsa. The back of my quinoa package also has a recipe for quinoa tabouleh. Maybe I'll give that a shot too!

MOW, thanks again for making quinoa mainstream! By the way, I was also a raw foodist for awhile. And I also drank during that time! I did feel really good while I was living that lifestyle and very easily kept my weight down, but it did get to be a pain in the butt to do all of the prep work (food processor, Vitamix, dehydrator, spiral slicer, chop chop chop!), and it was almost impossible for me to be social. I would end up eating normal SAD food if I went out to a restaurant or if it was a holiday, etc. But then I would end up getting SO sick, because my body was used to raw. And as I never wanted to be 100% raw forever, it just seemed better for me to continue to incorporate a lot of raw food into my diet, and try and stay healthy that way. I still eat a lot of raw dishes. Oddly enough, I'm not even a vegetarian though. Yet I never missed meat when I was eating raw.
    Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
    ~Clutch

Comment

Working...
    X