Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

extra from Suze

Lushy....did you get any buckwheat yet? Please try my fave recipe with it....

Cook buckwheat for about 20 mins until soft but still with 'bite'. Add steamed leeks and chopped avocado to it, with an olive oil dressing....serve hot or cold. To die for!!! :h

Suze x
    Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Miracle food!

Yes, I got buckwheat and I thought of you Suze. I will try your recipe. I also got teff and millet and amaranth. The teff looks fascinating, smaller than poppy seeds and has tons of protein, iron and calcium. They said it makes a good breakfast cereal with a nice nutty flavor. Will let you know when I try it.

I also saw black quinoa today in the store. I wonder if it tastes different?
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

What a coincidence - I am doing some research for my work, and happened to come upon this website that has the best collection of quinoa recipes I've seen ... (though apparently the site is by a life coach)
        Nourish Your Life
        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

Been eating quinoa three times a day since I found this thread. Can't get enough of it. Have to become more adventurous, like the rest of you. Have to try the banana, etc. breakfast thing, but usually put my lunch together, eat most of it for breakfast and have to cook more.

Have done curry (yum). Today sauteed red, green, yellow pepper pieces, red onion, grape tomatoes, added shrimp, stirred a bit, added the quinoa, lemon juice (put it on everything) basil and a bit of hot stuff.

Had heard that going raw was great for you, would like some info.

Thanks for the website for quinoa recipes, MOW.

Suki

Comment

Miracle food!

I absolutely love this thread!!!! I, too gave up the red meat over 25years ago, a few years later chicken, and lastly fish, when I was preparing it one night and noticed several worms dancing throughout the fish flesh. I am told that that is quite normal for several varieties of white fish,nevertheless it turned me off from fish.
            I'm off to buy some quinoa as I have never cooked it myself. I feel as if a whole new culinary world has been opened up to me!!!!

I wish I could get as turned off to wine!! The irony of being so careful about what you eat and then drinking large quantities of alcohol for so long does not bypass me . Neither does the fact that I love leather handbags!!!!

Janet

Comment

Miracle food!

Red quinoa, black quinoa, blimey this is gonna be a lifetime of seedy exploration - not forgetting teff ?? and amaranth?? Suze can we get these here in Blighty?

You will all be pleased to hear that the pruney peanutty quinoa brekky combo was good, kept me going to lunchtime after a busy morn at work - I think the flakes are brill, hardly need any cooking, like a superior porridge, no offence to oats lovers-and I don't soak the quin so very quick and easy. By the by, heard recently that soya is best avoided as it brings on a bloat (!)-Suze, I know you use it a lot, I love it too but might try almond milk or rice milk instead . Also with the prunes, I buy the ones you have to soak overnight so there is lovely prune liquid to pour over the quinoa.

Off to cook ie cheat -big cooked jumbo prawns marinated in oodles of garlic and olive oil , quick spinach and brown rice with cardamon pods (the pods soften and open when the rice cooks and make it a bit more interesting).....washed down with Badoit sparkling water, ice and chunks of unwaxed lemon -I slash the lemon with a knife (cruel I know)give it a squeeze (yes a loving one) before I chuck it in so that the water is really lemony. I cannot live without lemons! I think they are so opposite to wine. I remember reading that you shouldn't have lemons before you drink a glass of decent wine because it spoils the taste. This makes them very useful!

sorry to ramble! been a bit of a dizzy day at work!

:h Anna:h
              IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
              Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

Miracle food!

Anna - I get amaranth locally and I've seen Teff in London but not where I live. An indie health store is the best bet...although I found this link.....and they are in your bit of London, you lucky girl!

CONTACT TOBIA TEFF

I haven't used amaranth for ages...so gonna stock up again on next shopping trip.

Yes...I know what you mean about soya milk, although I must say it doesn't give me bloat! But I think too much of any substance can lead to intolerance.....I do vary it a bit with rice milk and almond milk but neither are good in ordinary tea (imo)....mind you, I'd like to stop drinking ordinary tea too...but one thing at a time LOL

And I am SO with you on the unwaxed lemons, Food Sister :h Isn't it the romany people who say the staples of life are garlic, salt and lemon? mmmmmm

Suze x
                Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Miracle food!

Excerpt from the above site so y'all get an idea......

The nutritional value of teff grain is similar to traditional cereals, it is considered to have excellent amino acid composition (all 8) with lysine levels higher than that of wheat or barley and slightly less than that of rice or oats. Mineral levels are higher particularly iron, but teff is totally gluten free.

Teff is a very versatile grain, when uncooked it can be added to most baked foods or substituted for nuts and other grains. Because of its small size and high density, less teff is used compared to other grains, cooked teff gelatinous and adds body to puddings and pastries. It's a good thickener for soups, stews and gravies. Teff is mild and has a slightly molasses-like sweetness making it easy to use for making breads, biscuits, cookies and cakes, stir fry dishes and casseroles

Apparently it also, unusually for a grain, contains Vit C

Suze x

Comment

Miracle food!

I just posted my amaranth cereal recipe in the recipe section if you want to check it out. It was delicious. The thing to be careful about with soy milk is that it is a form of phytoestrogen and too much soy is not good for us. I had rice milk on my amaranth which was good.

I will try the peanut butter quinoa tomorrow. I have never had cardamom pods but your dinner sounds really good Anna.
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

Hi all quinoa lovers

I had a rather rushed quinoa brekkie this morning- I had planned on having my sprouted quinoa (it had sprouted after just 24 hours) mixed in a smoothie with banana and tangerine- was running a bit late, so just threw a soya yogurt on top of it and peeled the tangerine and bunged that in as well, and mixed it all up. it was absolutely delish and kept me full for hours! Unusual for me, normally I 'graze' all day. After eating it there is no doubt my mood was more upbeat than it has been for a long long time.

However when it got to having my next meal, a gazpacho with quinoa mixed in- I just couldn't face it! Although I had loved the breakfast:-O

Oh well, never mind, will persevere tomorrow and today has all in all been a healthy eating day, mod drinking, so could have been worse.

Off to bed early now.

Nighty night all.

Comment

Miracle food!

lushy;230022 wrote: I just posted my amaranth cereal recipe in the recipe section if you want to check it out. It was delicious. The thing to be careful about with soy milk is that it is a form of phytoestrogen and too much soy is not good for us. I had rice milk on my amaranth which was good.

I will try the peanut butter quinoa tomorrow. I have never had cardamom pods but your dinner sounds really good Anna.
                        Just seen it Lush....thanks! :h

Suze x

Comment

Miracle food!

wow, I'm hungry now!

cardamum pods are really fun to cook with...very fragrant...don't overdo it tho.

from what I've been learning almond milk is about the best there is and you can even make it yourself and save $.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

i ithink if i start making my own almond milk, i will have to quit shaving my legs. for now, i will pass.

Comment

Miracle food!

Okay, I'm now cooking and eating quinoa like crazy. I love the taste and need to eat more healthfully after my shingles and giardia.

With the leftovers today I opened a can of Progresso Low Sodium chicken soup and put in a cup of spinach and the quinoa. Yummy lunch.

Thanks for the recipes everyone. Intend to try lots.
                              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Miracle food!

I bought a huge bag of quinoa. I had some yesterday for lunch with chicken broth and sliced up tomatoes. Very yummy. Same thing for breakfast. I am going to be eating loads of this too!! Thanks also!

Comment

Working...
                                X