• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

do you have to rinse quinoa? I tried it once but it was bitter? Thanks

Comment

Miracle food!

rinsing it is good. It has bitter tasting saponins remaining after processing (I sound really smart, eh? I'm typing this right off the box). "Sapoinins are soap-like substances that occur on the outside of quinoa grains. It is believed they are put there by nature to deter insects and birds". As I am neither insect nor bird, I am not deterred. I just rinse.

Has anyone tried red quinoa? A little heartier with a nuttier flavor. A slight hint of kashi. Still delish. But the white is my fav.

Comment

Miracle food!

Cannot believe my super duper CA Safeway does not carry quinoa! I will have to go to another store. I have to have it daily. I have always forgotten to rinse it but it seems fine. I have had it boxed and from the natural food bins. You can do so much with it- breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

Comment

Miracle food!

Duck you MUST rinse quinoa. Even if you do not notice an off flavor you don't want to be eating the stuff on it. I made the most delish chicken curry last night (could be made with tofu) and threw in leftover quinoa in there for added protein. Very yum. So glad to see so many people trying it. I have been eating it for years but so many people do not know about it. I have not tried the red quinoa but am intrigued by the black quinoa at my store.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

I'm right now eating quinoa wiht spinach and two fried eggs atop. Wonderful Sunday morning breakfast!
            FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

Lushy, your curry sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe?
              FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

how do you put your spinach in MOW?

Comment

Miracle food!

Yes!

One onion, chopped
                  One garlic glove, minced
                  2 apples, diced (I used Gala)
                  2 T. flour
                  1 T. curry powder
                  2.5 cups chicken broth
                  2 T peanut butter
                  3 T. mango chutney
                  Frozen peas
                  4-5 chicken breasts cut in big chunks (or could use tofu)

Brown rice
                  Spinach

Saute onion and garlic until soft, add apple and saute until soft. Sprinkle with flour and curry powder for a minute or so. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then add peanut butter and chutney. Add chunks of chicken or tofu and simmer until cooked through. Add peas.

I served this with cashews, toasted coconut and scallions in small bowls for toppings so people could put their own toppings on. Could also use raisins if that is your thing.

I then put spinach in the bottom of a bowl, ladled the curry over the top and then put a scoop of brown rice on top and then added the toppings. The peanut butter and chutney were a nice twist. I added the quinoa because it needed to be eaten and it sort of thickened it a little more. Perfect winter meal.

Comment

Miracle food!

does Quinnoa contain natural oils? i ask because I never buy anything in the bins at healthfood stores as it's always stale and/or rancid for a very simple reason...it's sitting there in a large volume of air and it's also exposed to light in the clear bins...two killerss of nutrients.
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

good to know d. my health food stores have tons of customers so i thought it would not be stale but the light killing nutrients is new to me. i was trying to buy from bins to cut down on packaging material in our landfills. you just cannot win!

Comment

Miracle food!

delicious recipe lushy! can't wait to try it-

Comment

Miracle food!

we'll find a way dang it!!! if I find a source I'll post it...off to scour the earth now...
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

yes Lushy that curry looks fab. reminds me of a Thai Mossamun curry but cranked up a few notches....bam!
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

Love thai curry too D. But yes this is very different. I do not think quinoa is high in oils. I know the store I shop at has a huge turnover in their grain department. Perhaps I should ask them to turn the lights off in the bulk department? Now there is an idea.

Comment

Miracle food!

They cover the potatoes @ night @ my store so the lights will not make them go bad from the lights. I had to ask them why they were putting blankets on them one time and that is what they told me. Curious minds wanna know-

Comment

Working...
                                X